Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Very true, and I'm not sure if that is something that he will improve over time. I still think he's a good player but he might not ever be a big producer unfortunately.

so just to get back to this....it's clear how big of a problem this was in WSH today. when he catches a pass in traffic or has to stick handle in a little traffic, it's a problem. he usually gets poke checked and/or loses the puck. lots of times today he was in full gallop in the netrual zone and couldn't get through.

im not saying he has to walk a guy or beat a guy. just control the puck enough and make one little stickhandle to avoid a stick or to buy him an extra second of time to gain the blue line and/or dish a pass. he's fumbling and losing the puck way too often.

not sure if the hands/brain can keep up with those feet.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
My biggest fear is Chytil ending up a bigger Hagelin.

Imma buy the "soft wrist" explanation for the time being, but I fear his production won't pick up.

Looking at Fil's junior stats, he seems to have been a sniper in juniors. Is that still in him, will it show in the NHL?

He shouldn't be the playmaker on his line imo.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
6 points in his first 8 games and the boards ready to ship out Strome. Complete 180 :laugh:. All that time off and his garbage usage, doesn't change the immense potential. Its no surprise that nearly every game he's come close to 15 mins TOI he's been productive. Playing these kids 12 minutes a night just isnt gonna cut it

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
6 points in his first 8 games and the boards ready to ship out Strome. Complete 180 :laugh:. All that time off and his garbage usage, doesn't change the immense potential. Its no surprise that nearly every game he's come close to 15 mins TOI he's been productive. Playing these kids 12 minutes a night just isnt gonna cut it
In the last 4 games, he played under 12 twice, over 15 once and almost 14 once. It does not help that he does not kill penalties or playing on the power play. With Mika and Strome playing the way that they are, what is your proposal?

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
As long as Laf and Kakko don’t bust I wouldn’t be too upset with Anisimov like production from Chytil. If he starts producing like crazy we wouldn’t be able to afford him anyway

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
So... he scores 2 goals in the last 2 games. In the last game, he manages to score a goal and hit the crossbar with barely 10 min of ice time, while being noticeable every shift. And he gets benched by Blackwell for overtime 3 on 3, who also records almost 5 more minutes of ice time.

I get that Blackwell has been a pleasant surprise for us, but I don´t buy the whole "we need to play veterans if we want to get into the play offs" angle. Is Chytil really playing worse than Blackwell, who BTW has less NHL games under his belt than Chytil?

I have been saying for a long time that Chytil has a 1C potential and I still stand by that statement. I agree that he should play sheltered minutes for now. But isn´t the role of 3C sheltered enough? Must he really get less time on the ice than our 4C? I am kind of furious. I feel like Quinn is stomping on his development like Godzilla is stomping on the suburbs of Tokyo.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So... he scores 2 goals in the last 2 games. In the last game, he manages to score a goal and hit the crossbar with barely 10 min of ice time, while being noticeable every shift. And he gets benched by Blackwell for overtime 3 on 3, who also records almost 5 more minutes of ice time.

I get that Blackwell has been a pleasant surprise for us, but I don´t buy the whole "we need to play veterans if we want to get into the play offs" angle. Is Chytil really playing worse than Blackwell, who BTW has less NHL games under his belt than Chytil?

I have been saying for a long time that Chytil has a 1C potential and I still stand by that statement. I agree that he should play sheltered minutes for now. But isn´t the role of 3C sheltered enough? Must he really get less time on the ice than our 4C? I am kind of furious. I feel like Quinn is stomping on his development like Godzilla is stomping on the suburbs of Tokyo.

Not getting 1 minute of ice time during a 3-on-3 overtime isn't going to stunt his development. And if he is a center, then Blackwell probably isn't the guy he would replace. There are a lot of guys who don't see the ice in overtime. There are only so many minutes and so many spots to fill. The bottom line is that we won the game. That is far more important than him not getting 1 extra minute of ice time.

Reactions: haveandare

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

They are incredibly lucky that the game wasn’t lost during that extended Blackwell-Buch-Trouba shift in OT. Blackwell is too small and weak to be relied upon in OT when man defense is being played. No excuse at all him to be playing over the big, powerful forwards (Chytil and Kakko) that are the future of this team.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Not getting 1 minute of ice time during a 3-on-3 overtime isn't going to stunt his development. And if he is a center, then Blackwell probably isn't the guy he would replace. There are a lot of guys who don't see the ice in overtime. There are only so many minutes and so many spots to fill. The bottom line is that we won the game. That is far more important than him not getting 1 extra minute of ice time.
What if they lost the game, which was a distinct possibility on the extended shift during which Blackwell and Buch got pinned in their zone?

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Yeah... that was not my point at all...

Reactions: CLW

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What if they lost the game, which was a distinct possibility on the extended shift during which Blackwell and Buch got pinned in their zone?

Then they lost the game. If you re-watch that sequence, it all started because Trouba whiffed on a pass. There's nothing to suggest that putting Chytil out there would have altered the outcome. There's no way to know. What we do know, is that Blackwell got time, Chytil did not, and we won the game.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Then they lost the game. If you re-watch that sequence, it all started because Trouba whiffed on a pass. There's nothing to suggest that putting Chytil out there would have altered the outcome. There's no way to know. What we do know, is that Blackwell got time, Chytil did not, and we won the game.

You took this too literally. Blackwell getting the OT icetime is more of a cherry on top.

The cake on top of which the cherry rests is this: a young and very talented center who in his 3rd full NHL season has already shown to be well capable of handling the 3C role (and at least temporarily stepping up to handle the role of 1C in Mika´s absence last season) gets to play only 4th line minutes to accommodate some random AHL guy. For no obvious reason and with no sensible explanation given.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Yeah, I’m very much aware of the Trouba gaffe. He’s clearly at fault for starting the sequence, but I am of the opinion that Blackwell isn’t particularly well suited to regaining possession in OT.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
You took this too literally. Blackwell getting the OT icetime is more of a cherry on top.

The cake on top of which the cherry rests is this: a young and very talented center who in his 3rd full NHL season has already shown to be well capable of handling the 3C role (and at least temporarily stepping up to handle the role of 1C in Mika´s absence last season) gets to play only 4th line minutes to accommodate some random AHL guy. For no obvious reason and with no sensible explanation given.

Why does Quinn need to give you an explanation? He played the player he thought gave us the best chance to win. And we won. I don't see the point in nitpicking about ice time. There's only so much time to go around. If you think any other coach is going to be substantially different, you're going to be disappointed. Quinn is trying to win games. Not to protect his job, but because that's what is best for the organization. Would you rather be buffalo and let the kids play 20 minutes a night? Quinn also has a responsibility to the other players on the team. They all want to make the playoffs. Would it be fair to them to not try to make the playoffs?

I'm not saying that every decision Quinn makes is the right one. It's all subjective and not everything is going to work out. But can we at least give the guy the benefit of the doubt and stop nitpicking every single thing he does? Honestly, I'm just tired of having to read the complaints and snide remarks about him in every f***ing thread. If you want to complain about him, please do it in the Quinn thread so we can actually have other discussions on this forum.

Reactions: haveandare

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I thought last night was Chytil's best game since returning. In addition to scoring the goal and hitting the crossbar, he was skating, he was buzzing around the puck, and he was distributing the puck more and starting to use his linemates. One of my criticisms of Chytil (and the kid line in general) is that he tries to be the one-man show too much. It's good to see he's getting his game back together since the injury.

Is this type of comment still allowed? Or does every thread need to be filled entirely with bitching about ice time?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I thought last night was Chytil's best game since returning. In addition to scoring the goal and hitting the crossbar, he was skating, he was buzzing around the puck, and he was distributing the puck more and starting to use his linemates. One of my criticisms of Chytil (and the kid line in general) is that he tries to be the one-man show too much. It's good to see he's getting his game back together since the injury.

Is this type of comment still allowed? Or does every thread need to be filled entirely with bitching about ice time?

Agreed. I thought the kid line had some very good shiftslast night, particularly Chytil and Gauthier working together down low.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Why does Quinn need to give you an explanation? He played the player he thought gave us the best chance to win. And we won. I don't see the point in nitpicking about ice time. There's only so much time to go around. If you think any other coach is going to be substantially different, you're going to be disappointed. Quinn is trying to win games. Not to protect his job, but because that's what is best for the organization. Would you rather be buffalo and let the kids play 20 minutes a night? Quinn also has a responsibility to the other players on the team. They all want to make the playoffs. Would it be fair to them to not try to make the playoffs?

I'm not saying that every decision Quinn makes is the right one. It's all subjective and not everything is going to work out. But can we at least give the guy the benefit of the doubt and stop nitpicking every single thing he does? Honestly, I'm just tired of having to read the complaints and snide remarks about him in every f***ing thread. If you want to complain about him, please do it in the Quinn thread so we can actually have other discussions on this forum.

I don´t post on this forum too often so it likely was not evident. But I have defended Quinn a lot. Basically the entirety of last season I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. But it is just just beginning to be too much for me. Sure, he does not have to explain himself to me personally. But I do not have to keep my mouth shut either.

Also, I agree that trying to get to play offs is his job and he should let the better players get more ice time. I am only arguing that Chytil already is a better player than Blackwell, hence why I am baffled. Older does not always mean better or more experienced (Chytil has played 3 times as many NHL games).

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019

A comment prasing Chytil? I will allow it. :D

Seriously though, I believe that Chytil´s ice time is relevant when discussing his play. He is still only 21 years old. He needs to play serious minutes. And he has repeatedly shown he is capable of playing serious minutes. But he does not perform that well after an injury and gets instantly demoted. Is it really supposed to help him get back on track? Imagine Zbad playing 10 minutes after COVID (I know, Chytil is nowhere near Mika´s level yet, but still, was he really playing that much worse than say Blackwell to deserve that?). And you can actually see in interviews that he is getting frustrated... And rightfully so, I might add. And honestly, I am really concerned about that.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Not for nothing his hand must be feeling better too because he had a few noticeable wins at the dot too

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad