Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I think if Chytil becomes like a +2C (think Stepan/Brassard level in terms of overall play) we are absolutely set at forward. In fact, besides Kakko I think Chytil is by far the most important key to our forward core going forward.

I think he will. He's been steadily improving and the potential oozes out of him. Keeping in mind he's still filling into his body and should be able to play with a little bit more physicality as he progresses.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think he has all the tools to be another Zibs on defense. If he could become another workhorse, that'd be a huge help.

I'd be giving him PK time. Have him focus on faceoffs. He's only really playing Even-Strength. IMO he should be getting more ice time or developing other areas of his game.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
At this point in time I think Chytil produces more like Kreider. 70pts may be a bit too much.

IMO 50-60pts is realistic... That's why I'd like to see him work on defensive aspects.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
IMO 50-60pts is realistic... That's why I'd like to see him work on defensive aspects.
He has many things to work on. Face offs, defensive game, being able to use his body better, actually being able to get the puck in the zone., etc.....But all that should be attainable. 60 points I am worried about, but am hopeful for the 50-55 ranger.

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
He has many things to work on. Face offs, defensive game, being able to use his body better, actually being able to get the puck in the zone., etc.....But all that should be attainable. 60 points I am worried about, but am hopeful for the 50-55 ranger.
Very similar to Martin Havlat — except in position. The speed, lanky build, good shot and playmaking are key assets. Havlat was awful defensively and never learnt to use his frame very well — not that it was a priority given his speed.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Very similar to Martin Havlat — except in position. The speed, lanky build, good shot and playmaking are key assets. Havlat was awful defensively and never learnt to use his frame very well — not that it was a priority given his speed.
Good comp, which is what I am hoping that Chytil will avoid. His body can become a great advantage, if he learns to use it.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Good comp, which is what I am hoping that Chytil will avoid. His body can become a great advantage, if he learns to use it.
Remember how Hayes learned from Jagr how to protect the puck using his butt? After watching he and Kazoo playing ping pong, man if he used that thing sticking it out and keeping players away......would be quite the asset. Btw, kid can play PP pretty well.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
He's made improvements.

He's great on the forecheck and carrying the puck in the zone.
He has a heavy and good shot. IT can be refined further as well as his release.
He needs a lot of work on faceoffs. I think he has what it takes to become a 'workhorse' like another Zibs. Maybe start PKing him soon?

I still see him have trouble in the O-Zone with positioning. He's so awkward in this area. Even in transition, if he doesn't have the puck, he occasionally suffocates the puck carrier... he has improved slightly but can he find the soft spots and put himself in position to succeed with say, a Panarin? IMO that's where he needs work.

His playmaking needs to develop as well.

I wonder if they take him to UFA or eat a couple years with his next contract. 5-6 year deal? 7 years would bring him to 29. 7x5 could potentially look like a steal when he's 23-24 years old.

What's funny Kakko is exhibiting some things that plagued Chytil last year. He went from a god-tier puck handling magician to looking like a beer leaguer.

This is his biggest problem, probably the reason that he couldn't get Strome's spot in the lineup, other than the fact Strome had an amazing season. Sometime next year I would try him with Buch and Kreider again, it was when he had his best performances this season. Mika could play with Panarin and Fast (hopefully Kakko), considering that we don't re-sign Strome.

Just to put some perspective, Mika had 54 point in his first 3 seasons with Ottawa, Chytil had 49 for us. We shouldn't discard him as a 1st liner yet.

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’m wondering what Chytil looks like 4 months order and stronger. Saw a few work out vids and he looked massive

Reactions: Leetch3

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Having him and Kakko together so much was not good for either of their development. Should have given them both some protection w/ some vets. Let them rack up some "easy" points and get their confidence up. Instead of this sink or swim bullshit that never helps anyone and led us to having a 3rd line that was pretty much useless. Chtyil should have at least gotten some more PP2 time.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Shouldn't the rest benefit older teams?

Maybe, but they might also find it harder to shake off the rust.

I don't think we can really say anything definitive based on their age. I think it's going to be different for each player regardless. Some have been skating more than others. Some maybe didn't work as hard as they should have. Some may be better equipped mentally to handle the situation.

I think the teams that will have an advantage will be the ones whose goalies are playing the best at the start.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Maybe, but they might also find it harder to shake off the rust.

I don't think we can really say anything definitive based on their age. I think it's going to be different for each player regardless. Some have been skating more than others. Some maybe didn't work as hard as they should have. Some may be better equipped mentally to handle the situation.

I think the teams that will have an advantage will be the ones whose goalies are playing the best at the start.

I think the long break benefits teams who were in a slump, and negatively impacts teams such as the Rangers who were on a hot streak. Look at how Columbus soared into the post-season last year, after playing must-win hockey in the last 2-3 weeks of the reg season

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Shouldn't the rest benefit older teams?

In this completely weird instance not necessarily. Harder to get going for older guys. Kids are more resilient. But as the youngest team to get a break these kids most of them never having gone thru a full NHL season they get to catch their breathe build their bodies back up this is going to be interesting to see where they are now.

Reactions: McSauer

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think the long break benefits teams who were in a slump, and negatively impacts teams such as the Rangers who were on a hot streak. Look at how Columbus soared into the post-season last year, after playing must-win hockey in the last 2-3 weeks of the reg season

Yeah, teams like the Islanders and Columbus were playing really poorly going into the pause. Columbus has had a chance to get healthy and maybe the Islanders figured out how to score some goals.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, teams like the Islanders and Columbus were playing really poorly going into the pause. Columbus has had a chance to get healthy and maybe the Islanders figured out how to score some goals.

In the category "jokes that have been beaten to death": Panthers have a huge advantage though, playing in an empty arena

Reactions: UnSandvich

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
To note on the other side of the coin Kreider and Buchnevich for instance always struggle out the gate of a season. They need to hit the ground running here. You don’t get 10 15 games to get going

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad