Prospect Info: Filip Cederqvist, LW, 143rd overall, Växjö Lakers HC / SHL; Traded to Montreal; Returning to Frolunda

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
But I don't speak Swiss.

Me neither. But then I clicked on the post and went to the twitter page, hit the google chrome translate option, and it looks like it says he signed a one year deal with Leksands for next season.

I see he took a big jump in production last year, finishing second on the team in goals & points. I don't know anything else about him as a prospect, though, and if he's considered legit or not.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Me neither. But then I clicked on the post and went to the twitter page, hit the google chrome translate option, and it looks like it says he signed a one year deal with Leksands for next season.

I see he took a big jump in production last year, finishing second on the team in goals & points. I don't know anything else about him as a prospect, though, and if he's considered legit or not.

He is legit. He's fast but not small - he's 6'2" and goes into traffic areas in the SHL. There is a nice player there to see what they have.

And I think the person you quoted was trying to be funny.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
He is legit. He's fast but not small - he's 6'2" and goes into traffic areas in the SHL. There is a nice player there to see what they have.

And I think the person you quoted was trying to be funny.
I was. But it hasn't been working out well for me lately. I think I'm gonna go back to lurking for a while.

Like, right after this post.

Reactions: jmelm

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Leksand, Blergh
Really hoped he'd go to a good team. Likely to turn out at least an AHL/NHL tweener

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Sign him next spring like they did with Weissbach and Rousek last year.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Cederqvist has really jumped out to me these last few weeks with the prospects challenge and tonight's game. I guess he sticks out because I really didn't know anything about him or kept a close eye on him when he was playing in Sweden but the kid has legit potential. He's big, good skater, good net front presents and doesn't mind getting physical. Hes been a huge surprise to me. Cant wait to see what he does in Rochester next year.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Cederqvist has really jumped out to me these last few weeks with the prospects challenge and tonight's game. I guess he sticks out because I really didn't know anything about him or kept a close eye on him when he was playing in Sweden but the kid has legit potential. He's big, good skater, good net front presents and doesn't mind getting physical. Hes been a huge surprise to me. Cant wait to see what he does in Rochester next year.
It's almost like we have 20 2nd and 3rd rounders performing well in the system. Cederqvist is a 5th, Kozak 7th round, Weissbach 7th, Rousek 6th, Novikov 6th..
Lots of guys (E: every player) from 2021 performing well and an early good looking 2022 as well

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I think it stands out more because he was playing in the SHL which isn't really known for its physical play. Sweden produces a ton of great players, but I think most people (or maybe it's just me) generally associate them with a lot of skill but not a ton of grit. Dahlin and now Cederqvist seem to be bucking that trend which is awesome.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think it stands out more because he was playing in the SHL which isn't really known for its physical play. Sweden produces a ton of great players, but I think most people (or maybe it's just me) generally associate them with a lot of skill but not a ton of grit. Dahlin and now Cederqvist seem to be bucking that trend which is awesome.

It's weird, since gritty Swedish guys are definitely a thing and have been for a while. Few are those who just get by on skill alone any longer, that's an old, old stereotype.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It's almost like we have 20 2nd and 3rd rounders performing well in the system. Cederqvist is a 5th, Kozak 7th round, Weissbach 7th, Rousek 6th, Novikov 6th..
Lots of guys (E: every player) from 2021 performing well and an early good looking 2022 as well
Look what happens when you invest in the right kind of scouting department. I suspect GMs are going to take notice and it will be tough to keep this group together.

Also, hats off to KA, who seems to have found the sweet spot of getting often competing scouting approaches to find a middle ground with one another and come to agreement (analytics, live viewing, references from amateur personnel like coaches).

Reactions: Matt Ress

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Look what happens when you invest in the right kind of scouting department. I suspect GMs are going to take notice and it will be tough to keep this group together.

Also, hats off to KA, who seems to have found the sweet spot of getting often competing scouting approaches to find a middle ground with one another and come to agreement (analytics, live viewing, references from amateur personnel like coaches).
Its nuts to think that Cederqvist, Rousek and Weissbach were late Botts draft picks but no doubt Adams and company have done a great job properly developing these guys.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It's weird, since gritty Swedish guys are definitely a thing and have been for a while. Few are those who just get by on skill alone any longer, that's an old, old stereotype.
I think it comes from the fact that they just don't fight? Swedes have always seemed tough to me...they just culturally seem to focus on the glame play more.

Reactions: joshjull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad