Figured you guys would appreciate this

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
And be an inbetweener team for the next couple of years. No thanks.

I think/hope he is being facetious....

Not at all being facetious. We should try to remain as competitive as is reasonable throughout this rebuild process. For the development of young players, culture in our locker-room, and because finishing dead last guarantees you absolutely nothing at the lottery or on draft day.

[Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
Not at all being facetious. We should try to remain as competitive as is reasonable throughout this rebuild process. For the development of young players, culture in our locker-room, and because finishing dead last guarantees you absolutely nothing at the lottery or on draft day.

Not stating an opinion on tanking but coming last guarantees you no lower than the 4th pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Not stating an opinion on tanking but coming last guarantees you no lower than the 4th pick.

True. And at #4 you might get a Mitch Marner... but then again you might also get a Griffin Reinhart.

Question for the board: Would you rather let this board collectively vote and make a selection at #5 overall based on popular decision? Or would you rather let Ken Holland make the pick... but it's at #10 overall?

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
True. And at #4 you might get a Mitch Marner... but then again you might also get a Griffin Reinhart.

Question for the board: Would you rather let this board collectively vote and make a selection at #5 overall based on popular decision? Or would you rather let Ken Holland make the pick... but it's at #10 overall?

The 5th OA. In the top 5 picks, the likelihood of getting a good to star player is pretty damn high.

I mean, with the "wisdom of the crowd", at #5, we would have taken Zadina, Hughes, or Dobson this draft. Holland took Zadina at 6 and would have at 5. And if Zadina wasn't there at 6, it stands to reason that Quinn Hughes would have been the pick.

Now if it's "wisdom of the crowd" for the whole draft? **** no, I wouldn't. Basically, the top ten is generally pretty set come draft night. It generally tends to go by the pre-draft scouting (with guys shuffled, but the guys we expected to be taken in the top 10 or 12 went in the top 10 or 12.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Exactly. I'm willing to be very bad instead of just kinda bad right now if it means being very good instead of just kinda good a few years from now. That's the difference it makes.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Well then don't get pissed when your points are responded to with derision. ****posting and stirring up crap to stir up crap is for the reddit boards. Trolling can be fun, but when the vast majority of the board isn't trying to do it, you just look like a jackass.
This is a Red Wings board, it's a safe assumption that the posters here are Red Wings fans. Anyone posting here rooting for them to lose deserves to mocked and trolled.

Also, Reddit is for ****.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
To be fair, I'd rather Fail4LaFreniere the year after, and pick up a bunch of D prospects, this year.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
This is a Red Wings board, it's a safe assumption that the posters here are Red Wings fans. Anyone posting here rooting for them to lose deserves to mocked and trolled.

Also, Reddit is for ****.
Thank you. I got in a bit of trouble in other threads for posting to this same effect.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's not our job to root for losses, even if that's best for the team. We are here for entertainment, ultimately. So I definitely understand the conflict of wanting this team to give effort and win, but not so much that it puts us a few places away from a generational talent via the draft.

It's management's job, not the fans, to create a roster that still had competitive upside, but not too much in a rebuilding year. So let people root however they please. For me, I love to see some scrappy wins, but if they are threatening to move too far up, I hope they sell veterans and keep focused that this team has a real future in a few years.

I do think it's important, though, that the Red Wings brass knows that the majority of fans are ok with a few years of rebuilding. We'll still be here when it's over, don't worry, my dearest pizza empire.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
People who don't understand the need for more high draft picks are people who don't understand what it takes to build a cup contender. This team is still going to lose a lot and will get another top pick, so I'm not that worried. But we don't have the pieces yet, not sure what else to say.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
What thread is this any more? and who is this troll that just said people's wives are cheating on them? wth?

But I like the team winning as long as it means the young players are carrying the load, getting better, and playing big minutes in big moments. I would rather see AA score a shootout game winner than Nielsen. I would rather see Mantha to Larkin in OT than Vanek to Nyquist. And I would rather see Bertuzzi get two dirty goals than Abdelkader.

I can't complain about the wins as long as they are how they have been playing out.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah

So anyone with a different opinion should get out? Isn't this a discussion board?

Honestly, just calm down, how do you guys handle people in real life? Mock and troll them when they have a different opinion? I mean, I am on the fence when it comes to winning and losing, I know all the arguments, e.g. winning culture, no guarantees, we need top 5 picks; Take a breath and relax, other people are entitled to their opinions.

To me this year is getting very tiresome... We are damned if we do and damned if we don't. We aren't good enough to make the playoffs but teams that should make the playoffs(Blues, Philly, Pittsburgh, Edmonton) seem to suck worse. IMO, the system needs to give points for each year you suck, then deduct points based on your draft order so teams like the Kings that suck for one year can't swoop in and draft Hughes because they had a bad year.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So anyone with a different opinion should get out? Isn't this a discussion board?

Honestly, just calm down, how do you guys handle people in real life? Mock and troll them when they have a different opinion? I mean, I am on the fence when it comes to winning and losing, I know all the arguments, e.g. winning culture, no guarantees, we need top 5 picks; Take a breath and relax, other people are entitled to their opinions.

To me this year is getting very tiresome... We are damned if we do and damned if we don't. We aren't good enough to make the playoffs but teams that should make the playoffs(Blues, Philly, Pittsburgh, Edmonton) seem to suck worse. IMO, the system needs to give points for each year you suck, then deduct points based on your draft order so teams like the Kings that suck for one year can't swoop in and draft Hughes because they had a bad year.

No. If someone has a reasoned argument, I think we actually do a decent job of being civil. It is when people are ridiculous like “we should trade Howard for a stack of flapjacks and feel lucky”. Or directly troll like CRL was doing. Basically if someone is getting trolled or dismissed it is because they aren’t trying.

Guys like jkuts and njx are guys I simply have a diametrically opposed opinion on what I think about the Wings. And yet we can have civil discussions because I try to understand their side and they try to see the reason in mine. As opposed to “blerg, the Red Wings won, me angry!”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->