fights in handshake lines?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
:laugh: Not that Im aware of, though there have been cases where players wont shake & basically ignore one another. According to the "The Code", and yes, Ive managed to get my hands on a torn & tattered written copy of it, I believe Rules 36-7&8 may clarify matters for you.

36) You may not punch an opponent during the playing of the National Anthems when they are distracted.

37) You are permitted to ignore an opponent in the post game handshake line-up if bodily or eye contact is liable to incite a riot.

38) It is only permissible to stop punching your opponent in the head when you hear the other teams Trainer saying something like; "look Bud, could you stop waling on this guy for a sec while we load him onto the gurney"?. .

Eaglepride*

lol I can't think off it in the past but don't know have a feeling it could happen tomorrow easily. Just think off it Buttman representing the cup and Thornton beating the crap out of Laperierre lol

On a more serious note I think declining the handshake could do the trick also.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Colin Campbell Amendments.

:laugh: Not that Im aware of, though there have been cases where players wont shake & basically ignore one another. According to the "The Code", and yes, Ive managed to get my hands on a torn & tattered written copy of it, I believe Rules 36-7&8 may clarify matters for you.

36) You may not punch an opponent during the playing of the National Anthems when they are distracted.

37) You are permitted to ignore an opponent in the post game handshake line-up if bodily or eye contact is liable to incite a riot.

38) It is only permissible to stop punching your opponent in the head when you hear the other teams Trainer saying something like; "look Bud, could you stop waling on this guy for a sec while we load him onto the gurney"?. .

:laugh: Old version. The Colin Campbell Amendments.

39.) A slew-foot is acceptable within the the zone defined by the two blue lines.

40.) A face palm is acceptable along as your team has not been swept.

41.) Offering gloved fingers as a snack is acceptable as long as the opponents dentures are not in place.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
:laugh: Old version. The Colin Campbell Amendments.

39.) A slew-foot is acceptable within the the zone defined by the two blue lines.

40.) A face palm is acceptable along as your team has not been swept.

41.) Offering gloved fingers as a snack is acceptable as long as the opponents dentures are not in place.

:laugh: Those work....

42) Its OK to beat on a drunken overweight fan who falls into the penalty box in Philly whether your home or away.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
As in the Durbano norm where the opponents weight didn't matter as long as he had room, to the must be smaller than the player,one quick punch with room to exit.

Now theres a name I havent heard in eons. He didnt exactly follow;
"The Codes Rules of Engagement".....

If your opponent drops his stick, you must do same.
If your opponent drops his gloves, ditto.
If your opponent removes his helmet, you should do the same.
If your opponent removes his elbow pads, optional.
If your opponent removes his jersey and pants, its likely 1973 & youve accidentally wandered into Derek Sandersons limo.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Steve Durbano

Now theres a name I havent heard in eons. He didnt exactly follow;
"The Codes Rules of Engagement".....

If your opponent drops his stick, you must do same.
If your opponent drops his gloves, ditto.
If your opponent removes his helmet, you should do the same.
If your opponent removes his elbow pads, optional.
If your opponent removes his jersey and pants, its likely 1973 & youve accidentally wandered into Derek Sandersons limo.

Steve Durbano had some hockey skills compared to others who filled the same role. But he also had a maniacal side with a street fighter mentality. If the opponent dropped his stick first, Steve would recognize that he suddenly had a distinct advantage so if there was the least bit of doubt then might as well use the stick.

Fortunately for the NHL such players usually are filtered long before they make it past junior or the minors.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
There have been memorable instances in the past about the handshake:

Dino Ciccarelli after the 1996 conference final on shaking Claude Lemieux's hand after his cheap shot on Kris Draper: "I can't believe I shook that guy's friggin hand. That really pisses me off."

Sean "I've never scored more than 18 goals in a season" Avery in 2008 after Brodeur refused to shake his hand: "Fatso there just forgot to shake my hand."

Then there are the sour grapes moments. Nicklas Lidstrom (of all people) complained that Crosby didn't come quick enough to shake his hand after the 2009 Cup final. As if being mobbed by a ton of media personnel is easy to dodge directly after you won the Cup. Even Steve Yzerman afterwards defended Crosby.

Team Canada 1972 didn't understand the international rules at the end of Game 1 of the Summit Series when they got blown out 7-3 and walked off the ice after the game without shaking the Soviets' hands. They thought it was a typical NHL playoff game. But they were branded sore losers.

Can someone recall a time when Keith Tkachuk did something controversial during a handshake. Don't quote me on it, but was he once accused of spitting on someone's hand after a series loss? If I am wrong, I apologize.

Vladsky

Mar 8, 2008
iirc, there were some altercations between Philly and NYI players following the game that won the Isles their first Cup in 1980.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Sean "I've never scored more than 18 goals in a season" Avery in 2008 after Brodeur refused to shake his hand: "Fatso there just forgot to shake my hand."

If your implication is that he's some sort of scrub who should show more respect to Brodeur just because Brodeur's HHOF ticket is punched.... I disagree. There should be mutual respect as players no matter what, and no matter who is involved. The caliber of the players involved should not be worth mentioning. And Brodeur should have just shaken his hand, then there would have been no opportunity to make such a comment.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
There have been memorable instances in the past about the handshake:

Dino Ciccarelli after the 1996 conference final on shaking Claude Lemieux's hand after his cheap shot on Kris Draper: "I can't believe I shook that guy's friggin hand. That really pisses me off."

Then there are the sour grapes moments. Nicklas Lidstrom (of all people) complained that Crosby didn't come quick enough to shake his hand after the 2009 Cup final. As if being mobbed by a ton of media personnel is easy to dodge directly after you won the Cup. Even Steve Yzerman afterwards defended Crosby.

Team Canada 1972 didn't understand the international rules at the end of Game 1 of the Summit Series when they got blown out 7-3 and walked off the ice after the game without shaking the Soviets' hands. They thought it was a typical NHL playoff game. But they were branded sore losers.

Can someone recall a time when Keith Tkachuk did something controversial during a handshake. Don't quote me on it, but was he once accused of spitting on someone's hand after a series loss? If I am wrong, I apologize.

they were just frustrated, it happens, specially since they were meant to lose so that NHL's poster boy could get a cup.

Last edited:

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009

Lidstrom wasn't the one who complained, it was his teammates.

Datsyukian

Jul 27, 2010
Didn't Chelios only shake the opposing coaches hands when they lost a series? Not positive on this but I remember it from Detroit Anaheim in 2007.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
they were just frustrated, it happens, specially since they were meant to lose so that NHL's poster boy could get a cup.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Lidstrom wasn't the one who complained, it was his teammates.

I remember it clearly being Draper for sure, but I thought Lidstrom was in agreement with it at the time as well. Perhaps I got the memory mixed up a bit. Draper claimed that Lidstrom was "waiting" for Crosby to shake his hand. From any link I can find that is all they say about Lidstrom. Still, sour grapes on the part of Draper for sure.

We'll ignore that it was a 7 game series and whoever wins a best of 7 is always the better team, plain and simple. I guess your story would sell more newspapers right?

If your implication is that he's some sort of scrub who should show more respect to Brodeur just because Brodeur's HHOF ticket is punched.... I disagree. There should be mutual respect as players no matter what, and no matter who is involved. The caliber of the players involved should not be worth mentioning. And Brodeur should have just shaken his hand, then there would have been no opportunity to make such a comment.

Yes, he should have just shaken his hand. However, I think it goes beyond the whole thing of Avery standing in front of the net like a maniac waving his hands. Brodeur is not like that at all so something in that series had to have made him tic. Maybe a comment from Avery that was unforgivable? I don't know.

And calling Avery a scrub is an improvement

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Hilarious.

As it's been pointed out before, it was Draper's sour grapes. And Crosby was getting ****ing interviewed at the time. No Penguins left the ice before the Red Wings finished celebrating the year before...it was the Wings that had a couple players leave before all Penguins were finished being interviewed.

I think comments like Draper's, or better yet Cicarelli's completely deserved comment after the game ("That pisses me right off" after shaking Claude Lemieux's hand after the 1996) are about as bad as it's going to get in an NHL handshake line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->