Fighting in Beer Leagues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
It's a little like prison. I've always said if you carry yourself like you will throw down if somebody wants to and you can handle yourself you'll avoid a lot of the crap mentioned in this thread. The rec league goons usually know what they're doing and they pick easy targets. If you happen to find yourself dropping the dogs in a rec league game and you leave your opponent with a crimson mask of blood that will probably be the last time you'll have to fight. Word travels fast. Make the most of it is what I'm trying to say, lol.

That's ridiculous. The delta bravos in our league are the ones that we target specifically, because we know that they're going to (1) get thrown out and (2) put their team in a bad spot.

As for the rest of your post, some of us have to go to work the next day. Whether you do or not, that's your business.

sjmay*

Tikkanen,

Not sure what league you play in, but when I was in Southern Cali, the was only one or two leagues that had anything close to what you would call real hockey, everything else was tripod herd hockey, and the beer rec league goons, couldn't stand up, let alone throw a punch.

Where I am at now, it's virtually the same, the hockey is a bit better on some nights etc, but you NEVER know who you are going to run into.

Not a good idea to provoke a fight with someone you don't know, last time I saw that happen, the guy that provoked the fight was picking up four teeth, that as before he could get his gloves off.

The guys who can and will fight, don't say much, they just do. The guys that scream and posture, normally won't throw, and if they do, look out, you never know what they are aiming for, it's like watching a windmill go at it.

Last night, had a guy try and provoke a fight, everyone laughed at him, he ended up skating away, it was hilarious, even his own team were shaking their heads...

madguitarist

Jul 15, 2013
Moose Jaw, SK
Here's the simple fact...we all have jobs to go to the next day/when the weekend's over, so why do anything that could get you or anyone else hurt out there? Sure, there are guys who maybe need to be punched out when they get reckless, but instead of doing that, maybe kick them off the team/out of the league if it gets out of hand. We're all grown-ups out there, and this isn't Slap Shot. Play smart, play clean, and play safe. If you wanna fight, then go do MMA, boxing, or another martial art. Keep that off the ice unless you're getting paid to play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
I can see it I am a competitive person and to me that's what makes it fun is trying to win, so if there are a few people like that it could get pretty heated. I don't even think there's anything wrong with a little chirping as long as it's done in fun nothing too personal to me that's the fun of it.

Thesensation19*

Sounds like a bunch of idiots but that happens... my concern is the fact that the refs didnt jump in. Shame on them, shame on the league not bringing qualified refs and not just some guys who run a union-like employement and care very little about their integrity as refs. That goes for bad calls made on purpose to run the time and that goes for not protecting the players which should be their #1 job.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Yep. I always roll my eyes at the guys getting their back up over whatever stuff is going on in the game. And these are middle aged teammates I'm talking about. Their attitude always implies that they're contributing to the conflict, always justifying their dick moves on what the other guy did.

Just keep it civil, let some **** slide and play the game.

My one story of being "in" a fight was at the end of a game against a team that had three brothers. I went along the boards with the smallest brother and accidentally cross checked him. It was a combination of him turning and me keeping my balance and just lazy play on my part to keep him along the boards. But I was in no way trying to shove him into the boards or even lay the lumber on him.

Well, I immediately got jumped by his brothers, ended up face first on the ice while they wailed on me until the refs/teammates got them off of me. No harm done but I got tossed since it was the end of the game. No biggie, the refs just wanted to defuse the situation and I was cool with that. But the guy I "hit" even came up to me after I got up and said, "geez, it wasn't even that big a hit."

Stay away from #16 on the Charlestown Chiefs, trust me

sjmay*

Sounds like a bunch of idiots but that happens... my concern is the fact that the refs didnt jump in. Shame on them, shame on the league not bringing qualified refs and not just some guys who run a union-like employement and care very little about their integrity as refs. That goes for bad calls made on purpose to run the time and that goes for not protecting the players which should be their #1 job.

Not sure what post you are referring to, but when it comes to fights in men's league, you let them go, let them go, let them go,

As soon as you step in, one of them will invetiably, either A.) crack you in the face, or B.) fall down on our knee and twist it etc,

Half of the "fights" in men's league are by guys that can't stand up, and don't know enough to move the sticks and gloves out of the way so that doesn't happen,

So, no, I will never break up a fight in men's league until they are tired and hugging each other, they had the balls to drop them and fight, they can deal with the repercussions of that monumentally stupid decision.

Stickchecked

Jun 16, 2012
Ottawa, ON
So, no, I will never break up a fight in men's league until they are tired and hugging each other, they had the balls to drop them and fight, they can deal with the repercussions of that monumentally stupid decision.

Can't fault you on this logic. Refs shouldn't have to put up with such garbage.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Not sure what post you are referring to, but when it comes to fights in men's league, you let them go, let them go, let them go,

As soon as you step in, one of them will invetiably, either A.) crack you in the face, or B.) fall down on our knee and twist it etc,

Half of the "fights" in men's league are by guys that can't stand up, and don't know enough to move the sticks and gloves out of the way so that doesn't happen,

I've had a ref tell me he was hoping I would have kicked the guys butt because the player was hated by everybody, including the refs and guys on his team. He challenged me to fight and then turtled as soon as I took my helmet off and engaged him. My point as far as fighting and hitting go in non check/no fighting rec leagues go is you have to be ready for contact. I think you're crazy if you sign up for a mens league and expect everybody to behave like perfect gentlemen. You have to figure out who the hot heads are, who you should be weary of, who you don't have to worry about and protect yourself at all times. I think if you take that route and carry yourself as somebody who can take care of business if push comes to shove a lot of the dumb stuff that goes on is avoided because people know you're not somebody to mess with. Like others have said we all have jobs, I don't want to get my teeth knocked out, I don't want to get suspended cause it's $400 to play but at the same time I'm fully aware hockey is or can be a violent sport and there are some crazy dudes out there who don't care about the above points. I don't turn my back on guys when I'm in the corner so I can get leveled, I always expect contact and I've managed to play 20 years with a few stitches and knee surgery after my first season 20 years ago. I think it's part luck and a lot of hockey smarts.

sjmay*

I've had a ref tell me he was hoping I would have kicked the guys butt because the player was hated by everybody, including the refs and guys on his team. He challenged me to fight and then turtled as soon as I took my helmet off and engaged him. My point as far as fighting and hitting go in non check/no fighting rec leagues go is you have to be ready for contact. I think you're crazy if you sign up for a mens league and expect everybody to behave like perfect gentlemen. You have to figure out who the hot heads are, who you should be weary of, who you don't have to worry about and protect yourself at all times. I think if you take that route and carry yourself as somebody who can take care of business if push comes to shove a lot of the dumb stuff that goes on is avoided because people know you're not somebody to mess with. Like others have said we all have jobs, I don't want to get my teeth knocked out, I don't want to get suspended cause it's $400 to play but at the same time I'm fully aware hockey is or can be a violent sport and there are some crazy dudes out there who don't care about the above points. I don't turn my back on guys when I'm in the corner so I can get leveled, I always expect contact and I've managed to play 20 years with a few stitches and knee surgery after my first season 20 years ago. I think it's part luck and a lot of hockey smarts.

Agreed,

I've done the same, told a team, as long as there's no blood they have free reign on a guy, because I know he is going to spear/butt end them behind the play and I won't catch it because of something else, etc.

As far as being aware, absolutely agree, too many weekend warriors going 80 in a 30 that can't spell edge, let alone control one, they go careerning into the corner using the defenseman as a whoopee cushion and then act offended when you whistle them for a body check.

Leagues need to develop a two minute penalty for stupidity, it would be the most widely called penalty, everywhere.

sjmay*

It would be under unsportsmanlike conduct no?

Very loosely defined,

And I probably have a stricter definition of stupidity,

IE. If you can't stop, turn, or do anything related to edges, and you go full speed towards the wall, I should be able to call you for stupidity if you survive the ensuing collision...

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Very loosely defined,

And I probably have a stricter definition of stupidity,

IE. If you can't stop, turn, or do anything related to edges, and you go full speed towards the wall, I should be able to call you for stupidity if you survive the ensuing collision...

The whole point of Unsportsmanlike conduct is to allow refs a generic penalty so yeah stupidity that affects the game could be called under that.

sjmay*

When one simply delays the game with various actions, it is "Delay of Game". If one effects the game with various actions it is "Unsportsmanlike Conduct".

Doesn't quite work like that....

If I ever tried giving a "delay of game" penalty to a guy who is acting like a jackass, in a real game, A. I would make a fool of myself in front of both teams, and B. my supervisor would be all over my ass.

The correct call is unsportsmanlike conduct, and can be very subjective when applied.

Torquenstein

Nov 3, 2010
Couple of weeks back I saw the worst fight in beer league ever!

To dudes having a catfight with their gloves on, one of them even hat a cage on:D
Unfortonatly the dude with the cage was on my team, man he git some trashtalk in the locker-room afterwards. His new nickname is "The Cagefighter":sarcasm:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
USA/Canada

Doesn't quite work like that....

If I ever tried giving a "delay of game" penalty to a guy who is acting like a jackass, in a real game, A. I would make a fool of myself in front of both teams, and B. my supervisor would be all over my ass.

The correct call is unsportsmanlike conduct, and can be very subjective when applied.

USA and Canada rules and applications vary from the NHL, pro, youth, adult or IIHF.

NHL
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26355

General
http://voices.yahoo.com/understanding-ice-hockey-delay-game-2263089.html

sjmay*

USA and Canada rules and applications vary from the NHL, pro, youth, adult or IIHF.

NHL
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26355

General
http://voices.yahoo.com/understanding-ice-hockey-delay-game-2263089.html

Like I said, it doesn't work that way,

Nowhere in any of those links, do you see that a player can be given two minutes for being a jackass.

Delay of game is not a catchall penalty, it's relatively specific in the situations that it can be used in.

A guy is arguing a call, do you give him a delay of game, or unsportsmanlike?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Misconduct

Like I said, it doesn't work that way,

Nowhere in any of those links, do you see that a player can be given two minutes for being a jackass.

Delay of game is not a catchall penalty, it's relatively specific in the situations that it can be used in.

A guy is arguing a call, do you give him a delay of game, or unsportsmanlike?

You give him a 10 minute misconduct. Basically the player may be entitled to an explanation of the penalty but once he starts debating, arguing or showing-up the referee the misconduct is justified.

sjmay*

You give him a 10 minute misconduct. Basically the player may be entitled to an explanation of the penalty but once he starts debating, arguing or showing-up the referee the misconduct is justified.

No, you have to go through the progression, you don't jump to 10.

2 first, then 10, then game, then gross/match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad