Fighting in Beer Leagues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumbo*

Fighting in a beer league is one of the lowest things you can do.

Like honestly, grow the hell up, if you can't control your emotions over recreational sport where 98% of the people there are there to have fun and not worry about getting hurt then get the hell out of the league.

Unfortunately leagues usually dont do much about fighting and eject these people from the league since they are more concerned about getting their money again the next season.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
Fighting in a beer league is one of the lowest things you can do.

Like honestly, grow the hell up, if you can't control your emotions over recreational sport where 98% of the people there are there to have fun and not worry about getting hurt then get the hell out of the league.

Unfortunately leagues usually dont do much about fighting and eject these people from the league since they are more concerned about getting their money again the next season.

I agree to an extent, but I play Div 1 Mens league and the games get very intense. Fighting just happens, things boil over. If I was in a lower divison then I bet there wouldn't even be close to as many fights if any.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
If I was in a lower divison then I bet there wouldn't even be close to as many fights if any.

Maybe, maybe not. Even players who aren't very good can get frustrated and angry. There is nothing that inherently makes a C or B league game less important than a D league game, the players are all there to have fun but there will always be some who take it too seriously. Get a couple of those types on the ice, throw in a bad or missed call or two and you can have a fight fairly easily.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Maybe, maybe not. Even players who aren't very good can get frustrated and angry. There is nothing that inherently makes a C or B league game less important than a D league game, the players are all there to have fun but there will always be some who take it too seriously. Get a couple of those types on the ice, throw in a bad or missed call or two and you can have a fight fairly easily.

Well the physicality is definitely higher in better leagues which results in a lot of these fights

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Depends on the team, in my last game their was only 1 penalty, an unintentional tripping. No BS no trash just hockey. The game before that however......... we both had short benches, the other team was full of trash talkers and some tall fat plugs. The refs gradually let it all go to hell, we eventually stopped playing hockey and it was nothing but hacks slashes trips and crosschecks. There were some legitimately dangerous hits going on, running guys into the boards from behind, slewfoots into the corners. A "non-contact" league and it was worse than the NHL playoffs. Game ended in a line brawl with every glove off, even our goalie was pounding on someone. If it comes to that, it's scary, these are just random guys not proffesionals, who knows when one of them might go ape*** and baseball swing someone to the face? what are 2 refs gonna do to break anything up if someone crosses the line, nothing.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Depends on the team, in my last game their was only 1 penalty, an unintentional tripping. No BS no trash just hockey. The game before that however......... we both had short benches, the other team was full of trash talkers and some tall fat plugs. The refs gradually let it all go to hell, we eventually stopped playing hockey and it was nothing but hacks slashes trips and crosschecks. There were some legitimately dangerous hits going on, running guys into the boards from behind, slewfoots into the corners. A "non-contact" league and it was worse than the NHL playoffs. Game ended in a line brawl with every glove off, even our goalie was pounding on someone. If it comes to that, it's scary, these are just random guys not proffesionals, who knows when one of them might go ape*** and baseball swing someone to the face? what are 2 refs gonna do to break anything up if someone crosses the line, nothing.
Yeah and this is why I don't get involved in that stuff most of the time. I used to be pretty brutal as a kid with my temper but now it's not the same. You could get some nut job that could kill someone at times... especially when there is a bar upstairs

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
I feel that ONE part of the problem is that fighting is almost tolerated (and cheered on) in the pro leagues. Thus in the deep psyche of hockey players and their audience, it is 'ok' to fight because it is 'part' of the sport, and 'admired' by some.

I don't know any other non-combat sport that has the same level of fighting that hockey has. It is a fast-paced, high adrenaline and frustrating game, but to descend below a shove (and not back off when the ref or other team players pull you back) and not control yourself is a bit of a joke.

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011
I love hockey fights, but even I think fighting in beer leagues is dumb. People play in beer leagues for fun. If you want to fight that badly, play in an actual league.

jordanking87

Apr 6, 2013
Indianapolis,IN
Im all for some serious, high intensity competitive playing but its all in good fun and when guys take it to a level where theyre gunna fight about it..it is disgusting to watch.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
Eh.

Fights happen, from E league to A.

Normally, both combatants are more than willing to tango. Doesn't mean they're good by any stretch of the imagination. :laugh:

So far from what I've seen in beer leagues is that cheap blind site hits or sucker punches are far rarer than when I was a kid playing in house league.

I have no problem if two guys want to drop gloves. But hey, as long as they're not in my crease i'm happy.7

Edit: should clarify, I was a D man growing up. Playing in the pipes is new for me.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I remember when I was 16 I tried to start a fight at a pickup game because I was young, stupid, and didn't know any better.

10 years later and I think fighting in rec league is one of the stupidest things ever. I can understand some post-whistle shoving matches or even a frustration cross check or slash. Not that I like them, but I'd rather have that than an angry player decide to finally take out his frustration by delivering a dirty hit on someone who isn't even expecting to get hit because rec leagues are usually non-checking hockey. Barring a blatant tomahawk chop to the face or something, I don't imagine people actually get injured from post-whistle scrums and slashes, but a dirty hit out of frustration has the potential to be extremely dangerous.

A "formal" fight where they drop the gloves, pair up, and try to smash each others' faces in? Come on man, knock that rubbish off. Has no place at the amateur level.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I remember when I was 16 I tried to start a fight at a pickup game because I was young, stupid, and didn't know any better.

10 years later and I think fighting in rec league is one of the stupidest things ever. I can understand some post-whistle shoving matches or even a frustration cross check or slash. Not that I like them, but I'd rather have that than an angry player decide to finally take out his frustration by delivering a dirty hit on someone who isn't even expecting to get hit because rec leagues are usually non-checking hockey. Barring a blatant tomahawk chop to the face or something, I don't imagine people actually get injured from post-whistle scrums and slashes, but a dirty hit out of frustration has the potential to be extremely dangerous.

A "formal" fight where they drop the gloves, pair up, and try to smash each others' faces in? Come on man, knock that rubbish off. Has no place at the amateur level.
Pretty much this. I used to get in some fights when I played competitively as a kid/teenager but now it's just silliness. The odd time maybe if you feel a guy is being a real dick and you get into a bit of scrum but normally those things end in guys apologizing after and conceding it was just heat of the moment. Some guys are looking for fights though and that's just ridiculous... also a lot of 18 year olds just starting mens league still wearing full cages (not that there is anything wrong with that, especially in mens leagues) think they're all tough guys still. I play with these 2 guys right now who are going to get killed if they don't smarten up... 130 pounds soaking wet and just looking for trouble.

ryangib

May 4, 2009
Saw a guy on the other team get ejected the other night. We all start cheering. As he's leaving the ice he starts yelling and screaming across the rink at us. Gets off ice, slams all his gear on the ground, and then proceeds walk allllll the way around the outside of the ice surface huffing and puffing to come tell our bench to meet him in the parking lot.

mistrhanky

Mar 19, 2012
In our league, dropping the gloves will get you banned, plain and simple. That is not to say there is not a lot of other stuff though. I find fighting stupid in beer league, but I can't say that I don't lose my temper and judgement at times. I am in D league and we have one team with 3 NCAA players on it. Completely stupid. When they get way up, and you know guys have no business playing at that level, things escalate fast.

SkateThroughIt

Oct 30, 2010
United States
For beer league refs make 40 a game here...hmm. I've been in two "fights" in the last 4 years.
One was because a guy went to go play the puck and I chased him in. He pulled up and leaped into my head, we exchanged some words and got into it.
The second was because a guy on our team cross checked a guy in the face (no visor or cage) and a scrum broke out. Then from their bench a guy jumped the boards and full on leaped into the scrum screaming "You motherf***er!". So I threw him on the ground and it sort of escalated from there.

Green Blob*

Saw a guy on the other team get ejected the other night. We all start cheering. As he's leaving the ice he starts yelling and screaming across the rink at us. Gets off ice, slams all his gear on the ground, and then proceeds walk allllll the way around the outside of the ice surface huffing and puffing to come tell our bench to meet him in the parking lot.

keep going....what happened next?!

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Had a pretty ridiculous incident last night. It was a 2nd round playoff game, we'd already beat this team twice in the regular season and hadn't even let in a goal against them. Sure enough, we were up 7-0 late in the game when one of their guys jumped a guy on my team. He got tossed and I figured things would cool down since he was pretty much the only guy on their team causing problems.

Under a minute, left I got the puck and stood behind our net with the anticipation of just running the clock out since they had essentially given up. One of their guys came around to pressure me, I deked around him and he 2 handed me in the back of the knee and tackled me. Of course I got pretty ticked off, but when I got back up he was skating away yelling "You won't do anything about it!" I've never been challenged while someone is fleeing, not that I actually would have fought him anyway and risked being suspended for the championship. Needless to say the refs just ended the game at that point.

I don't understand how devoid of meaning and purpose your life has to be to care about adult league so much that you try to injure somebody.

howeaboutthat

Jun 20, 2012
A ways outside MI...
I had some guy try to goad me into a fight the other week. He came in hard on our NM, NM covers, players start moving out but this guy hangs about looking for some afters. I clear him (and his accomplice) away from the goal and then make my way back to the bench and this guy chases me shaking the mitts! I'm not afraid of rough stuff, I'm an ex-serviceman who (though no wall of muscle) can handle himself but really? Fighting in a recreational challenge game?

I agree with some comments that have already been made though, insomuch that the desire to drop the mitts many recreational players have may well be linked to the amount of time they spend knocking one out over 'Drop Your Gloves' and using phrases such as "title fight", "weight classification" etc. I like a fight now and then in hockey as much as the next man but leave it for the pros, I've work on Monday and a black eye is never a good thing for an ER nurse!

Last edited:

Danglous

Dec 5, 2007
Philly
Ive been in a few beer league scraps but I was never the first to drop the gloves. Alot of guys around my area are hotheads and the games can get really chippy. Refs do a pretty good job of keeping it safe, though. Most of the time it gets started by one or two morons who dont know how to take a chirp or a shove, but every now and then its perfectly justified.

99% of the time it's not worth it though because you are essentially throwing money down the drain with ejections/suspensions/etc, not to mention missed work time if injured.

Most memorable fight: C league roller hockey line brawl. LOL. I was on the bench but it was like watching a slow trainwreck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->