Fight for teammate after legal hit

artemponomarev

May 31, 2018
St.Petersburg
www.linkedin.com
Would personally you start a fight/brawl if you were an NHL player and your teammate was thrown on the ice with legal clean hit not in head not with an elbow just in front of you?
On the one hand it is clean and if you make a clean hit you don’t want to be fought, cause it’s a part of the game and keep your head up, but on the other it is your teammate and you need to keep chemistry in locker room and all that stuff. I guess a lot depends on importance of the game, the score, the status of a player and if he was injured. Just remembered how Laine was hit by McCabe . That seemed to be clean hit and the situation describes what I am asking about

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I think it's perfectly fine to fight someone even if the hit is legal. You can still be upset at someone hurting your teammate. Obviously you will be more upset if it is illegal. It's just the natural instinct to stick up for someone who is down/hurt.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Ig if it's a veteran or rookie I'd give a solid shove/hit back. Not a fight unless it's illegal or a retaliation

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
This is the crap that will get fighting removed for good. Assault disguised as “standing up for a teammate” when really, they cant handle being hit.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
As long as you are not a star player . Instigator could bring 2+5+10 for 17 minutes. Gotta choose your moments .

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Sure, I think so. Even if it's clean it doesn't necessarily mean the guy throwing the hit wasn't intending on destroying your teammate's universe. It's also possible that even though it was clean, it was thrown by a guy who is typically dirty or has been running around all game.

...or, you know, you just want to show your teammate that you give a shit and have their back. Either way I don't mind it.

Reactions: artemponomarev

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Any illegal hits should be instant deportation.

I'm tired of these Canadian and European goons running around in American hockey. Deport them now, dirty players! Some I assume are good people

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
As long as fighting is legal in the game, it's really up to the players whether or not they should fight after legal hit or not, isn't it? If the league is really interested in not letting it happen again, it(fighting) would be outlawed, plain and simple, but it isn't.

Look, I like a big hit as much as the next guy, and let's not act like these guys don't know what they're getting into. Look, ultimately it's the players that have to answer to the players, not us, nothing more nothing less. If the players didn't feel a responsibility to stand up for each other, then they wouldn't, but they do, regardless of what we think, and regardless of the circumstances. Just my 2 cents.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
100% for sure. A 'clean' hit does my team no good if mcdavid is getting put through the boards. I could care less if the hit is defined as clean. You stick up for your team mates and your stars.

Remember when Scott Stevens head shots were 'clean'?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
No.

It’s hockey. You’re going to get hit, and its not my job to avenge your honor after every clean hit.

Take a number and give the guy a clean recipt the next shift.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm tired of these Canadian and European goons running around in American hockey. Deport them now, dirty players! Some I assume are good people

They should make the penalty box glass walls higher

94 Rangers

Jul 28, 2012
100% depends on situation. Who was hit? Who hit him? Amy other questionable hits in the game? What's the score? home or away?

All depends on the flow of the game. Clean game and my guy gets hit hard and clean prob not going to do anything. Chippy game with questionable hits prior, different story.

Reactions: artemponomarev

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
This was always the role of the traditional bodyguard. Hockey allows physicality in its rules. Even clean, there was always a guy to send the message to the other team -
“Sure, you can hit my star player. Even legally. Just be prepared to pay a price for it”.

Reactions: 94 Rangers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad