FIFA World Cup: Most prestigious trophy to win?

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Evilo has been real defensive these past couple of days, someone should tell him France won the WC so he can relax now :D

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I love how I'm the one derailing this thread :facepalm:
Some have trouble following the plot...
But always blame the same. And he, who's a notorious troll to boot. :facepalm:

@Savi is it being defensive to say France didn't win the WC by pure luck while others were more deserving/impressive? Or simply stating the obvious?

member 305909

A player who is born in a country which never even qualifies for the World Cup or the euros may appreciate winning the Champions League more but there are a lot of people who only watch football when the WC or the euros is on and dont care about the CL.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
@Savi is it being defensive to say France didn't win the WC by pure luck while others were more deserving/impressive? Or simply stating the obvious?

Does it all really matter though? I can't image if Belgium would win the WC I would care much about what people on here are saying.
KX9u8uP.gif

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Yeah I know, long time ago. Still counts.

Now, was that before France had a team, or..... ;)

Historically, Italy has been a top team for sure.

In the last 20-25 years, France has been more successful in part thanks to their golden generations.

Also, as a Habs fan, it's nice to say you have a lot of titles but to be honest it does nothing to me as I lived through one title.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Historically, Italy has been a top team for sure.

In the last 20-25 years, France has been more successful in part thanks to their golden generations.

Also, as a Habs fan, it's nice to say you have a lot of titles but to be honest it does nothing to me as I lived through one title.

No argument here, France has certainly accomplished more lately.....and never more than right now, with Italy somehow even failing to qualify for the tourney that France won. :help::laugh:

They fared better at the Euros as well (****ing Zaza..... :rant:).

Hopefully Italy regains its' stature in a year or two.

member 305909

There was a short time between Platini leaving and Zidane arriving when France were average. Didn't qualify in 1990 and 1994.

member 305909

Indeed, the unforgettable qualifier-match France-Bulgaria; France needed a draw and went 1-0 ahead, Bulgaria equalised and in the last minutes of the match Bulgaria scored and qualified. France were out.

Bulgaria went to the semi-finals. France didn't paly WC-qualifiers for another 10 years being the hosts and defending champions in the following two tournaments.

Silly rule it was that thing about defending champions being exempt from qualifiers. I'm sure nobody misses it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And we hosted Israel right before Bulgaria with one point to take. At home. Champagne bottles were already in the lockerroom. And we lost 3-2.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What I do know is that if not for a few inches on Trezeguet's post, we'd have 3 stars just like Italy.

member 305909

Trezeguet hero in 2000, not a villain but an unlucky man in 2006. Some symbolism there too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->