OT: FIFA World Cup 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
RDS en direct is a good option . I'm happy with this service. The cost is high.

I'm paying for one month for the world cup. I'll not use not legal streams to watch at work. :) .

I'm doing the same thing except I went for the TSN Direct instead because I can't stand Claudine. It also works out great since that month also includes the NHL Draft and Free Agency. So 25$ to ensure I have a great feed for these events is well worth it IMO.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Anyone has a recommendation for a terrasse that will show the games? I want to avoid the Main as the street is closed and it will be full of people. I miss Irish Embassy :(

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
LOL about the diving. But I don't accept your apology. I'm going to tell my family about that diving joke. My godfather said he'll make you pay.

I really don't know who to root for this World Cup. My allegiance lines up first with Canada (loud outbursts of guffaws and laughter), then Italy because of my family BG and then Netherlands. As someone else said I guess I'll just root for great games.

Godfather eh? Should I be worried!?
:laugh:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Anyone has a recommendation for a terrasse that will show the games? I want to avoid the Main as the street is closed and it will be full of people. I miss Irish Embassy :(

You can go to brasserie cherrier on saint denis although it isn't a nice bar. Lots of little bars on saint denis have games. El zazzium etc.

I can't "recommend" them but they have tv's and atmosphere!

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
That and the Marseillaise are my favorite anthems.

Germany has a good one as well, melody based on a Haydn string quartet I believe. I wish we had something like the Marseillaise with cutting the heads off the nobility etc. Instead we imported a Napoleonic French general as a king in 1814, Jean-Baptiste Jules Bernadotte became King Charles XIV (Karl in Swedish) and our anthem is one of the dullest and the lyrics don't make any sense either.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Godfather eh? Should I be worried!?
:laugh:
Naw, you should be okay. Just tell them you know me and they'll let you off with a stern warning. But don't mention you're Swedish. Even knowing me won't help you there what with Italy's defeat at Sweden's hands and then there's those things you guys call meatballs.....all that will push them over the edge.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Germany has a good one as well, melody based on a Haydn string quartet I believe. I wish we had something like the Marseillaise with cutting the heads off the nobility etc. Instead we imported a Napoleonic French general as a king in 1814, Jean-Baptiste Jules Bernadotte became King Charles XIV (Karl in Swedish) and our anthem is one of the dullest and the lyrics don't make any sense either.
Must be why the Swedes are so good at hockey. You need lousy anthems like Canada.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Germany's is okay but it won't stir up the warrior in me like the Russian & French anthems. I'd gladly go to war with that music. Then again maybe that's not a good thing.

Reactions: dinodebino

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Naw, you should be okay. Just tell them you know me and they'll let you off with a stern warning. But don't mention you're Swedish. Even knowing me won't help you there what with Italy's defeat at Sweden's hands and then there's those things you guys call meatballs.....all that will push them over the edge.

It's not the first time either, Sweden and Denmark drew in an infamous final game in the qualifiers and came 1st and 2nd in the group while the Italians missed the European Championship finals. I believe that was the time when Ibramovic made that beautiful kungfu back heel 2 meters up in the air. I love Italy btw, the people (especially the women) and the food. Monica Bellucci, I love you!

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
SA players looked slow, physically weak and malnourished.

Some nice Russian goals though. Maybe teams that play Arabic teams should have a good smelling lunch of kebab in their dugout with fans blowing towards the pitch?

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Ya both are great. That video of the Red Army choir singing the national anthem is powerful stuff lol
I personally do not find fake 50 year old G.I.s singing patriotic songs too exciting....I grew up in the USSR and was already sick of it back in the 80s. As for La Marseillaise, my favorite
version is S. Gainsbourg's "Aux armes et caetera". ;)

Last edited:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
So, now that the 2026 World Cup locations have been announced, it looks like Canada gets ten games and Montreal three of them to play in a major stadium.

To play they have to do a major upgrade to the Olympic stadium. I don't know what the actual amount is but heard it as high as $400 million. If so, that amount would be ridiculous for three games if the stadium then could still not be usable for an MLB team. Then again, if we are then to possibly get an MLB team and it is to play there, it would play in the wrong location of the city again. An MLB stadium needs to be more central in a downtown location.

I hope the city planners are thinking this out.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
So, now that the 2026 World Cup locations have been announced, it looks like Canada gets ten games and Montreal three of them to play in a major stadium.

To play they have to do a major upgrade to the Olympic stadium. I don't know what the actual amount is but heard it as high as $400 million. If so, that amount would be ridiculous for three games if the stadium then could still not be usable for an MLB team. Then again, if we are then to possibly get an MLB team and it is to play there, it would play in the wrong location of the city again. An MLB stadium needs to be more central in a downtown location.

I hope the city planners are thinking this out.
Wether or not they build a ballpark for baseball, the olympic stadium should be upgraded and renovated. A city like Montreal should have a modern stadium to hold large sporting events, like most cities do.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Wether or not they build a ballpark for baseball, the olympic stadium should be upgraded and renovated. A city like Montreal should have a modern stadium to hold large sporting events, like most cities do.

I agree about a good stadium ... but let's hope they do it right. To me, fixing up an old outdated cement elephant that is built on bad land and is not in a good location for a lot of fans is not the right answer. It will always end up sucking up more money.

Perhaps it would be wiser to bite the bullet and spend more to build a new modern stadium closer to the center of the city, or at least at a better location.

Reactions: lo striver

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I agree about a good stadium ... but let's hope they do it right. To me, fixing up an old outdated cement elephant that is built on bad land and is not in a good location for a lot of fans is not the right answer. It will always end up sucking up more money.

Perhaps it would be wiser to bite the bullet and spend more to build a new modern stadium closer to the center of the city, or at least at a better location.
I can understand wanting to have a small ballpark downtown because you practically have games every day and it's easier for people to get there, but I don't see the need for a large stadium that will only be used for major events to be downtown. Most new large stadiums across the planet are not built downtown, especially if they are not hosting a professional sports franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->