OT: FIFA World Cup 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Ronaldo is just stupid clutch these days, even in the small subtle ways he gets free. That was a Ruud Van Nistelrooy sneaky-ass way of getting free to pot that header. Hard to believe he's near the end of his career, he looks as on point as ever and is still much faster than others.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
I thought Pepe acting like Benatia took a double-barell shotgun to his back shoulder was funny but it is Pepe...

Btw, how the f*** did Mehdi Benatia have like 10 prime goal scoring chances? The guy is a CB for Christ's sakes. At one point you think he'd just think to himself "this is just not my day" and just look for someone to pass it too instead of skying yet another prime chance. Surreal, I can't remember the last time a CB was this active in the opposition's box, like ever.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Spain is looking a bit leaky so far. They aren't as good as they were a decade ago, and they still look good with the ball, but it seems they will give up chances too.

They were lucky that they ran into a team not know for finishing such as Iran.

Reactions: PuckSeparator

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Spain is not really that good and I'm saying that as someone who has Spain as his favourite team at this WC. Key players are old, very little penetration down the sides, Diego Costa might have 3 goals but he's been more lucky in terms of bounces than anything else, defense is OK but not great, and even the goaltending is suspect. Plus they are also undergoing one of the most bizarre situations ever experienced at the coaching position. Just too many factors going against them. Yes they can still pass the ball better than a lot of teams but they just don't look that threatening. This squad is a far cry from the complete and utter domination of tikitaka 10 years ago.

The winner will be one of Belgium, France, Argentina or Germany imo. Unless Cristiano makes the miracle happen again which is hugely unlikely, but I don't feel like any squad is a sure bet this year. Or maybe even Russia, because rea$on$... :naughty:

Last edited:

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Portugal will lose to Iran.

If both teams play like they did today,
hoping Peru can beat France
The winner will be one of Belgium, France, Argentina or Germany imo. Unless Cristiano makes the miracle happen again which is hugely unlikely, but I don't feel like any squad is a sure bet this year. Or maybe even Russia, because rea$on$... :naughty:

Nah for the first time im betting against Germany. Not bc they lost to MX but because I just feel they'll be out by R16. Probably even lose to Sweden who knows :laugh: I think it'll be the big upset of the World cup. As for France, they aren't that good. Good forwards, a good CB the rest meh, they disappear in big moments. Kante isn't that bad either.

I say Belgium, England will make it far, Spain. I believe Denmark will go very far. Although Russia has been the most entertaining team to watch.

Last edited:

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Spain is looking a bit leaky so far. They aren't as good as they were a decade ago, and they still look good with the ball, but it seems they will give up chances too.

They were lucky that they ran into a team not know for finishing such as Iran.

those spain squads were probably a top 3 team in the history of international soccer, from 06-12. it's like they were almost unbeatable and just controlled the game from start to finish. now they're a top team with a large group of other teams, and the knockout stage could be interesting. I find this tournament a good one so far!

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik

Nah for the first time im betting against Germany. Not bc they lost to MX but because I just feel they'll be out by R16. Probably even lose to Sweden who knows :laugh: I think it'll be the big upset of the World cup. As for France, they aren't that good. Good forwards, a good CB the rest meh, they disappear in big moments. Kante isn't that bad either.

I say Belgium, England will make it far, Spain. I believe Denmark will go very far.
I don't believe in Germany either, they make my list more due to a lack of worthy candidates. They have a decent squad but it doesn't feel like it will be their year. Still, you just know they will eliminate a couple of teams just by virtue of being Germany, that's just what they do.

England could surprise but I wasn't that impressed by them tbh. I think Portugal has a better chance of making farther than a lot of other teams. Let's not forget that they weren't overly impressive at Euro 2016 either, a defensive team that took advantage of their opportunities when they came and that got better as the tournament progressed. It could be the case that a similar team takes it this year.

I'll add my other favourite team, Uruguay, to the list but I feel like they too are weaker than in years past. Belgium to me has the most well-rounded team that can pass, defend, play through the centre or the wings, and has good talent at the forward position, basically they are the only "total football" option out there, but they've built a bit of a choker reputation recently so it remains to be seen just how far they can go.

Last edited:
Reactions: JunglePete

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Spain is not really that good and I'm saying that as someone who has Spain as his favourite team at this WC. Key players are old, very little penetration down the sides, Diego Costa might have 3 goals but he's been more lucky in terms of bounces than anything else, defense is OK but not great, and even the goaltending is suspect. Plus they are also undergoing one of the most bizarre situations ever experienced at the coaching position. Just too many factors going against them. Yes they can still pass the ball better than a lot of teams but they just don't look that threatening. This squad is a far cry from the complete and utter domination of tikitaka 10 years ago.

this seems like one of the hardest world cups to decide who's the top team. I want spain to win, think they can if things kind of fall their way, like italy on 06, but I really liked france's chance to win going into the tournament, but they were also meh. a lot of meh going on right now.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

I say Belgium, England will make it far, Spain. I believe Denmark will go very far. Although Russia has been the most entertaining team to watch.

my sleeper pick this year. I'm a big fan of eriksen but he didn't play to well. I have a hard time watching soccer since nedved retired, I loved the way he played and saw the game.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
this seems like one of the hardest world cups to decide who's the top team. I want spain to win, think they can if things kind of fall their way, like italy on 06, but I really liked france's chance to win going into the tournament, but they were also meh. a lot of meh going on right now.
I still can't believe Italy isn't there, so weird...

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I still can't believe Italy isn't there, so weird...

the talk of opening it up to 40 something teams makes sense, but not too sure how the format will work, because I do like the current structure of 2 teams per group. it makes the round robin extremely competitive with the chance to land the number 2 spot.

that said, no italy, chile, netherlands, seems silly. Outside those 3 teams not making it, I'm okay with it, and maybe they need to change the qualifying stages to have the best teams present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad