OT: FIFA World Cup 2018 - Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm.

The referee must take the following into consideration:

- the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
- the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
- the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement
- touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement
- hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement.
Correct, but in this case, defender's hand (perhaps unintentionally) blocked the ball path. I believe, it was a right call.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
France getting a lot of help this game. Terrible call for the 1st and a gifted PK for the 2nd. That handball didn't prevent a scoring chance

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I mean, the rule does say deliberate.

Then gives the circumstances as to what "deliberate" means.

It’s as dopey and loose a definition as the passive offsides that they let go. If they called it to the letter of the rule, defenders could go up with their eyes closed and their arms and legs windmilling and claim “I didn’t mean it” - it’s completely ridiculous, as is Rio’s daft explanation.

Reactions: Appleyard

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Maybe a low percentage chance was canceled? I don't think it's fair to award a PK off that kind of play. To me it's awarding a goal based on silly principle

You can’t just let defenders pinwheel their arms like that.Part of the game is the caution you have to play with when defending inside your own box. I’ve been a left back my whole life and know this intimately.

Reactions: CSKA1974
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad