OT: FIFA World Cup 2018 - Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Woooo! We don’t have to qualify in 2026!

Although it’s kind of wild travel wise to have those matches spread out across USA, Canada, and Mexico. Big difference between something like France, Spain, Portugal.
The locations in Brazil were pretty far apart. Not as far as what 2026 would be, but pretty sure there was some good distance brtween

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Holy ****ing ****, someone tell me I didn't just hear that Lalas was nominated for an Emmy. For ****ing what? What the **** has happened since I was gone? Holy Lord Baby Jesus.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
US, I don’t see you? Did the ol’ “playing bad players over good players” strategy not workout?

Can’t wait to see 40 year old Dempsey/Bradley/Altidore on the 2020 qualifying roster

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Putin debating with the Saudi (sheikh?) was pretty hilarious.

Damn this game, I bet a 1:1 tie in our pool at work.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I am very, very down on this Russian squad, but I see I underestimated them big time in this game. It was between 2:1 RUS and 1:1 for me but this caught me surprised

More so Putin and Co. weren't going to allow a loss to open the tourney against a Saudi Arabia side.

They could lose the rest of their matches now though.

Reactions: Foggy14

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Woooo! We don’t have to qualify in 2026!

48 teams is an absolutely insane number too

Does Canada automatically qualify too?

I saw the hosts don't get automatic bids...at the moment.

I was wondering about that, too.

The last (and only) time there were multiple host countries (Japan and South Korea in 2002) both teams got an automatic berth.

From an article on the MLS website, it sounds like this hasn't been ironed-out yet.

How 2026 World Cup host cities will be picked

It’s not yet clear whether the US, Canada and Mexico will all automatically qualify for the 2026 World Cup or if they’ll have to compete with other Concacaf countries for a spot. Host nations have always been granted automatic berths into the tournament, including in the lone previous World Cup that was co-hosted by multiple countries (2002; Japan and South Korea).

Some confusion arose on Wednesday when FIFA president Gianni Infantino told reporters that it would be up to Concacaf to decide if the US, Canada and Mexico receive auto-bids to the World Cup. Cordeiro [U.S. Soccer president Carlos Cordeiro] contradicted Infantino’s statement on the conference call, saying that the decision will be made by FIFA.

FIFA determines how many spots in each World Cup are given to each confederation. It’s then down to each individual confederation to determine its own qualifying competition for its allocation of World Cup berths. Those decisions, along with the question of automatic qualification for the co-hosts, will presumably be made at a future FIFA congress.

The US failed to qualify for this summer’s World Cup, missing the tournament for the first time since 1986. Mexico last missed the tournament in 1990, while Canada hasn’t qualified for the World Cup since making their lone appearance in 1986.

“The issue about who will get automatic bids to the ‘26 World Cup, if that’s the question, that is not Concacaf’s decision that’s FIFA’s decision and that will be made in the passage of time,” Cordeiro said.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad