OT: FIFA World Cup 2018 - Final week Edition

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Deserved win by France. They've got a ridiculous amount of talent on their team.

I grew up playing the game and I love it. Today I really find it's beauty sullied by the Mafia like FIFA and the ridiculous level of diving and whining.

I can't help but be cynical watching it being played at the highest level and having to endure the garbage on the pitch by players and officials. It diminishes the game, those who play it, and those who love it from the stands.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I grew up playing the game and I love it. Today I really find it's beauty sullied by the Mafia like FIFA and the ridiculous level of diving and whining.

I can't help but be cynical watching it being played at the highest level and having to endure the garbage on the pitch by players and officials. It diminishes the game, those who play it, and those who love it from the stands.
If I thought like you, I would not be so bummed about the tournament being over. The World Cup is the most joyous sporting event in the world for me. It is more representative even than the Olympics, when you consider the number of countries who try to qualify for this tournament. It also gives me hope that humans have more in common than they have issues that separate them. I mean, Russia, of all places, proved itself to be an inviting, congenial host. You had Mexicans buying drinks for and hoisting in the air Korean fans.

The diving and whining, to me that is fine print at the very bottom. Barely readable.

(Signed, Glass Half-full.)

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If I thought like you, I would not be so bummed about the tournament being over. The World Cup is the most joyous sporting event in the world for me. It is more representative even than the Olympics, when you consider the number of countries who try to qualify for this tournament. It also gives me hope that humans have more in common than they have issues that separate them. I mean, Russia, of all places, proved itself to be an inviting, congenial host. You had Mexicans buying drinks for and hoisting in the air Korean fans.

The diving and whining, to me that is fine print at the very bottom. Barely readable.

(Signed, Glass Half-full.)

I always look forward to the World Cup and have on many occasions watched every game. I don't feel that the incredible skills are diminished and I still watch for that reason. I too appreciate the comraderie and general good will.

I'm frustrated that the game has been allowed to deteriorate rather than be remedied by some simple changes.

Like the Olympics, money and politics are ruining what should be the greatest sporting spectacles. There's no reason to tolerate their shriveling and deprecation. The money will be always be there regardless.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

It was only three years ago that FIFA was caught in a major international scandal and my gut feeling was and still is the FBI investigation didn't go far enough. The corruption in FIFA stinks to high heaven and the diving and whining is really nothing compared to what goes on behind the scenes.

Reactions: groovejuice

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Interesting to see how warmly Macron and the French athletes greet each other (even smooches Mbappe on the head!): I could not envision that happening between Trump and African-American athletes.

He might try it with Miss Universe contestants however, but it would not be reciprocated by the contestants...

Meanwhile, the Croatian leader seems to have the hots for him. :naughty:

That wasn't helped by the fact that both Modric' and Mbappe's face were straight into her (name is Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović, if any of you wants to try it today) bosom at some point, due to KGK standing on some kind of podium and being rather tall. I googled to see if there was any pictures of this...

And of course all there was were pics of KGK in bikini.

Pretty sure there's no such pictures of Angela Merkel.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Well Lovren is definitely wrong when you consider that diving (Antoine Griezmann) and bribing (2015) is very much a part of the World Cup culture.

To be honest I was turned off by the final results of this World Cup. A team like France beating Croatia was a ****ing joke. I didn't have a dog in this fight. Canada and Italy didn't qualify but what FIFA did to Croatia in that final is a disgrace. First with the phantom foul on Griezmann (more like an effing dive that Neymar would be supremely proud of) and then that hand ball call. In a sport where one goal is almost tantamount to a win, gifting two extremely questionable and blantantly suspect scoring opportunities to one team still leaves me flabbergasted.

As I said, at the start of the World Cup I couldn't care less who won but after watching Croatia play beautiful football and to have it taken away from them by......... and I'll be generous here and not say what I really think......... incompetent officiating leaves me with a bad taste.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I wonder how many guest workers from Bangladesh have been killed building those stadia. I heard they were barely more than slave contracts. It just shows that the new egghead at FIFA is as corrupt as the old ones.
Anyone who supports either the World Cup or the Olympics is basically okay with such exploitation. It's an open secret. Both the IOC and FIFA have been exposed for a long time now so nobody can say they didn't know; not anymore. When all is said and done people just don't care. They just want to watch the spectacle. Nobody wants to know how the sausage is made.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Well Lovren is definitely wrong when you consider that diving (Antoine Griezmann) and bribing (2015) is very much a part of the World Cup culture.

To be honest I was turned off by the final results of this World Cup. A team like France beating Croatia was a ****ing joke. I didn't have a dog in this fight. Canada and Italy didn't qualify but what FIFA did to Croatia in that final is a disgrace. First with the phantom foul on Griezmann (more like an effing dive that Neymar would be supremely proud of) and then that hand ball call. In a sport where one goal is almost tantamount to a win, gifting two extremely questionable and blantantly suspect scoring opportunities to one team still leaves me flabbergasted.

As I said, at the start of the World Cup I couldn't care less who won but after watching Croatia play beautiful football and to have it taken away from them by......... and I'll be generous here and not say what I really think......... incompetent officiating leaves me with a bad taste.

I get people wanted the underdog to win, but please, Croatia, while they performed admirably, had like two shots on target the entire game. They limped their way through mediocre competition (Denmark, Russia, England). France capitalized on everything and won, that’s football.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Harry22

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

I get people wanted the underdog to win, but please, Croatia, while they performed admirably, had like two shots on target the entire game. They limped their way through mediocre competition (Denmark, Russia, England). France capitalized on everything and won, that’s football.

Well, you're right about that. They capitalized on FIFA's tolerance for blatant diving and incompetent officiating.

Going into the final game I leaned in Croatia's favour because I liked how they played and not because they were the underdogs. I've witnessed many heartbreaking losses by Italy. The day my son was born in 1994 they lost to Brazil and that was probably the most painful loss in my life (and one of the happiest days) but it was acceptable because it was a fair match. And the feeling for that loss pales in comparison to what I felt yesterday for a team that I have no allegiance whatsoever except they play beautiful football.

Last edited:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Well, you're right about that. They capitalized on FIFA's tolerance for blatant diving and incompetent officiating.

Going into the final game I leaned in Croatia's favour because I liked how they played and not because they were the underdogs. I've witnessed many heartbreaking losses by Italy. The day my son was born in 1994 they lost to Brazil and that was probably the most painful loss in my life (and one of the happiest days) but it was acceptable because it was a fair match. And the feeling for that loss pales in comparison to what I felt yesterday for a team that I have no allegiance whatsoever except they play beautiful football.

I didn't think griezmann wasn't fouled, and the replay blatantly showed a handball in the box that defelcted a ball going towards the net. That's a penalty.

As for diving, have a look at Madzukic's game.

Reactions: jaffy27 and le_sean

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Once the ref went to VAR, how can he not call in a penalty? He swatted the ball out of bounds with his hand in the box.
I tend to go against penalty decisions on handballs (on purpose or not, did he see the ball or not?), but the replay looked to me like his hand moved towards the ball while he was jumping. At the very least, the defender did not do enough to prevent the handball, and may have used his hand to block intentionally. So, I tend to agree with you and VAR.

That said, I hope that refs have a right to oppose what is being suggested by VAR, and if so that they are aware of this right. That to me is the proper way to use it. But, if VAR is conclusive to everyone but the ref, they should also know that their reputation is on the line in terms of reffing future big matches.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I didn't think griezmann wasn't fouled, and the replay blatantly showed a handball in the box that defelcted a ball going towards the net. That's a penalty.

As for diving, have a look at Madzukic's game.
The rule is hand to ball NOT ball to hand. As for your Griezmann comment all I can suggest is complaining to your cable company because I don't know what game you were watching..

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That said, I hope that refs have a right to oppose what is being suggested by VAR, and if so that they are aware of this right. That to me is the proper way to use it. But, if VAR is conclusive to everyone but the ref, they should also know that their reputation is on the line in terms of reffing future big matches.

They do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->