FIFA Tragedy Protocol

GoldyNuck

Mar 7, 2017
Hey everyone. Obviously, myself and everyone on this board has heard about the Emiliano Sala story, and it is truly sad to see. However, in discussing the matter with some friends, the topic came up about how to deal with the transfer deal itself. Not trying to be disrespectful, but what is to happen with Nantes and Cardiff's transfer agreement? We thought that possibly some of the money would go to the family to deal with the loss, or that Cardiff would be partially refunded as it is a large sum of their transfer budget, but couldn't really figure out exactly what was to happen.

Again, don't mean to offend anyone with this question but I thought it is something that would bear some sort of value in discussing.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I assume the transfer gets nulled and the player himself is insured which goes to his family. Now I am a romantic so, probably none of this happens. But it makes sense to me.

Reactions: GoldyNuck

GoldyNuck

Mar 7, 2017
I assume the transfer gets nulled and the player himself is insured which goes to his family. Now I am a romantic so, probably none of this happens. But it makes sense to me.

That's what I was assuming, however would Nantes be compensated in the event as well? I don't really know how employers are compensated in the case of tragedy, however I would just assume Nantes gives the rest of this season's wages to the family and keeps his memory alive with the club

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If the deal was signed and sealed, as I think it is, Nantes will get Cardiff money because he was a Cardiff player. :dunno:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Hm, im not sure. But as tragic as it is, see it also from other side. In the Moment the money came to the seller, the rights for the players (and all with that) is going to buyer. What if such tragedy occurs in one month? Or 2 Months later?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
There was some suggestion in the other thread that there could be some compensation from insurance, but I'm as in the dark about the protocol as any.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Got the answer in an article today :
Once the contract is signed and accepted by Fifa it's done and the money must be paid regardless
Contract was signed last Saturday and accepted by Fifa Monday.
Cardiff will be paid back by insurance if they subscribed to a special "key player" insurance.
There's a special plane crash clause that can be activated for a max of 100 000€ if it can be proven it's the fault of the transporter.
So Nantes will get 17M from Cardiff and Cardiff might get 1k from insurance plus maybe more if they signed that "key player" clause.

Reactions: maclean

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Got the answer in an article today :
Once the contract is signed and accepted by Fifa it's done and the money must be paid regardless
Contract was signed last Saturday and accepted by Fifa Monday.
Cardiff will be paid back by insurance if they subscribed to a special "key player" insurance.
There's a special plane crash clause that can be activated for a max of 100 000€ if it can be proven it's the fault of the transporter.
So Nantes will get 17M from Cardiff and Cardiff might get 1k from insurance plus maybe more if they signed that "key player" clause.

So it’s essentially FOB shipping point

Reactions: bluesfan94

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nantes needs the money right now because they're in debt otherwise. It's in fact the reason they sold Sala in the first place.

Cardiff refusing to pay at the correct date because they didn't get the player is just unprofessionnal. They know they can't escape the payment and are trying to play the clock.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Yep, all the headlines I've seen make Nantes look heartless for demanding the money but there is no logic behind Cardiff delaying the payment until the body is found

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No, there isn't. And now that the body is found, they still haven't made the transfer.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And now Cardiff is sending a letter to all EPL teams to ask them for help to defend their financial interests in the Sala case (which is by law crystal clear).
They want a discount on the 17M€.

Amazing.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm pretty sure they want to wait till the investigation is complete so they can see if there was an issue with the plane or pilot error. Why pay the money when they might have an insurance claim if it was either of those reasons? A plane crash isn't usually just some random accident so they're in line to be compensated for their loss. Cardiff isn't in the wrong in how they're handling this and the CEO said they'll pay if required to but want to wait. It's Nantes who is pushing this issue because they need the money because someone said they're in debt. They'll get their money but it might be from the plane manufacturer or company they hired to rent the plane. I can't see Cardiff having to pay the full amount.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They're totally in the wrong. The rule is that when a transfer is recorded at FIFA, the money is due.
Transfer was recorded, period.
That they try to get some money back from insurance after that is fair. But this is not Nantes' business.
Trying to get a discount from Nantes is disgraceful.
Nantes shouldn't get money from anyone else but the buyer.

Why shouldn't Cardiff pay the full amount to Nantes? The law says they should.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I have no idea if there are legal technicalities that “forces” Cardiff to behave like this, but it does sound to me like I’m agreeing 100% with Evilo for the second time this week.

Either you have bought the player or you haven’t. As soon as he is yours I don’t see what it matters when something happens. It could be one second after the deal is confirmed or five years. All the same to me.

Reactions: Evilo

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
They're totally in the wrong. The rule is that when a transfer is recorded at FIFA, the money is due.
Transfer was recorded, period.
That they try to get some money back from insurance after that is fair. But this is not Nantes' business.
Trying to get a discount from Nantes is disgraceful.
Nantes shouldn't get money from anyone else but the buyer.

Why shouldn't Cardiff pay the full amount to Nantes? The law says they should.

How many times has a player died before joining their new club? I don't like comparing a human to a product and you usually have to pay for the product first but when you do you expect to receive said product. Cardiff isn't receiving what they expected to buy. This isn't on them or Nantes which is why they are waiting to see who is at fault so they can get compensated by them and then pay Nantes or the company at fault pays Nantes.

Where does it say they're trying to get a discount? What I read was the CEO was just waiting for the results of the investigation to see who may be at fault so they know who has to pay what. I live in the states so I don't get the full details just the articles I saw over here, maybe I'm missing something that has been reported but from what I read Cardiff will pay if needed they just want to delay it till the end of the investigation. And as you said earlier Nantes is in debt so they want the money now, which is why it's a bigger issue.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That has zero logic. Why would Nantes be paid by the insurance company for a player who isn't their "property"?
If you buy a house and it burns down before you move in, do you consider the seller as responsible for your loss and thus he should wait to be paid by insurances? People would laugh at you.

They sent a letter to all EPL teams asking if the price was right and if other EPL teams were interested in order to prove they paid above market value.
That's absolutely miserable. Again, comparison with the house. Sending a mail to all potential buyers "let me prove I bought the house above market value so that I don't pay the full amount".

No, the issue is that Cardiff made a whole lot of ceremonial stuff and now they say (their words), "he wasn't EPL registered yet".

Who cares? He was FIFA registered which is the law.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
The whole incident is sad and unfortunate. I do feel even though they are completely entitled to the money Nantes should have waited a bit, it's a sensitive and out of the ordinary situation, but that's neither here or there. Evilo is absolutely right, the moment the contract is signed he becomes a Cardiff player. He's no longer a Nantes player, legally Cardiff have to pay the money.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nantes wouldn't said a word if Cardiff had paid what they promised to pay 6M€ now. Cardiff has made this situation a mess.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You don't change the rules just because something happened that nobody was ready for. Cardiff has to pay. THEN they find out if the plane company or whatever company is liable and sue them to recover what they can.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Cardiff isn't receiving what they expected to buy. This isn't on them or Nantes which is why they are waiting to see who is at fault so they can get compensated by them and then pay Nantes or the company at fault pays Nantes.

Of course they received him. Far as I know it was Cardiff who arranged for the plane so they could get him there as soon as possible. At the end of the day if there was something wrong with the pilot or plane (as Sala himself alluded to before taking off, tweeting about it being a piece of junk and if he was never heard from again that was why), it's down to their lack of due diligence in the rush to bring him in. As others have said, they can try to get money back over acting in good faith, but that's between them and the company they hired to make the flight. Is the whole struggle in poor taste? Yes, but again, it's Cardiff who is attempting to abuse people's emotions over it to gain time. Having ownership of money makes money, a month or two delay in handing over millions of euros is actually worth quite a bit, to say nothing of costing Nantes.

Mar 1, 2002
Cardiff City F.C.considering legal action against Nantes over Sala 'negligence'

CARDIFF CITY COULD launch a negligence claim against Nantes as soon as next week if an official report finds that striker Emiliano Sala was flown to his death by a pilot who did not have the correct licence, according to the UK’s Sunday Telegraph.

Cardiff threaten to sue football agent Willie McKay over 'inflating the Emiliano Sala transfer fee' | Daily Mail Online

Cardiff City’s top executives are furious about football agent Willie McKay’s admission that he deliberately inflated Emiliano Sala’s transfer price and are gathering information that could lead to them suing him or trying to avoid paying the £15million fee.

Malaysian owner Vincent Tan has a track record for going after people he believes have wronged him in the transfer market — previously pursuing former manager Malky Mackay and three agents all the way to the High Court in a claim for £10m damages.

McKay’s admission that he deliberately spread stories about rival clubs’ interest — revealed in an email he sent to Sala — is viewed by executives at Cardiff as possible ‘price manipulation’.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yup, yup, yup. Now they say Nantes was negligent even though it wasn't their player and they didn't arrange the flight.
And they also want to sue the agent because the price was too steep. Well, anyone could see the price was too steep. It's the nature of the business. I could have told them Sala wasn't worth half of it. That doesn't mean it's the agent's fault they're stupid.

Well, well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->