FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Sepp Blatter Quits

Slopo

Nov 3, 2011
http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup...rner-handed-life-ban-by-fifa-ethics-committee

FIFA's ethics committee has banned Jack Warner from football-related activity for life following an investigation into the bidding contest for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
Warner is currently fighting extradition on U.S. charges of racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering in the FIFA corruption case. He has to report twice weekly to a police station and his passport has been seized.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Visa too...

Anheuser Busch as well.

But Blatter's attorney immediately made a statement that his client will not step down, because it would not be in the best interest for FIFA if he left now and it would not help the reform process. :help:

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
Is soccer the most corrupt sport on the planet?

We live in a corrupt world... and soccer just happens to be the most popular sport in it. Too much money and power in play for it to be a squeaky clean business.

And of course, because of the sport's popularity, soccer's problems get more international attention and are more scrutinized. I'm sure there are similar issues in other sports, you just never hear about it.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
We live in a corrupt world... and soccer just happens to be the most popular sport in it. Too much money and power in play for it to be a squeaky clean business.

And of course, because of the sport's popularity, soccer's problems get more international attention and are more scrutinized. I'm sure there are similar issues in other sports, you just never hear about it.

I think Athletics (IAAF) is one of those. Corruption seems wide spread, but it rarely makes the news.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
The latest "bombshell" if its to be believed from Blatter is that the 2018/2022 World Cup hosts were practically decided in 2010 before the bidding process. It was agreed that 2018 would go to Russia so Eastern Europe would host its first World Cup and 2022 would go to the USA. Everybody agreed upon this until Sarkozy/Platini met with the royal family of Qatar and Platini put his support behind Qatar. Blatter claims the European members of the FIFA ExCo changed their support from the US to Qatar after this

I'm sure the other bidding nations are thrilled to hear this news after spending millions of dollars for their bids

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

The latest "bombshell" if its to be believed from Blatter is that the 2018/2022 World Cup hosts were practically decided in 2010 before the bidding process. It was agreed that 2018 would go to Russia so Eastern Europe would host its first World Cup and 2022 would go to the USA. Everybody agreed upon this until Sarkozy/Platini met with the royal family of Qatar and Platini put his support behind Qatar. Blatter claims the European members of the FIFA ExCo changed their support from the US to Qatar after this

I'm sure the other bidding nations are thrilled to hear this news after spending millions of dollars for their bids

It's no secret that Platini is just as corrupt, but I'm not sure I'm buying this allegation though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad