FIFA (finally) ending exclusive deal with EA

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I hate both EA and FIFA with passion.
Both are horrible.

That being said, do FIFA really believe a developer can create a game of that magnitude with less than year? That's insanity. It would take at least best case scenario, 3 years.

Also nobody will invest $1B annually without reassurance they can make more. The best case scenario would be a % tied to the total revenues of the game. At least on the first few years.

Also what are the benefits of FIFA? Only the name/World Cup or does it also includes all the leagues and players right?

Last edited:

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
My understanding it does not include league, team or player rights. So really doesn't change much other than renaming of the game and no World Cup (which really only is used for ultimate team anyways now).

Separately, other than a couple years where the NHL series and 2k series existed and were both decent having competition has never really lasted long or was very good. I mean EA FIFA competitor has managed to get worse (not because of naming rights but because they lost out on the money printing idea which was ultimate teams). I mean look at PES now, they could have created a game that focuses on the game modes that FIFA fans feel are unserved by EA like online team play and career mode, instead they went all in on a worse version of ultimate team. Ultimate Team has stifled sports game innovation far more than exclusive rights.

This is just two companies fighting over a contract. With FIFA trying to PR to be seen as the good guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: wej20

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I doubt EA really cares. Adding legit leagues and players isnt going to close the gap between all the pretenders and their game. For all FIFA’s issues, its been the best soccer game on the market from both a mechanics and presentation standard since, like, 2010.

Reactions: John Price

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I doubt EA really cares. Adding legit leagues and players isnt going to close the gap between all the pretenders and their game. For all FIFA’s issues, its been the best soccer game on the market from both a mechanics and presentation standard since, like, 2010.

It's a cash cow for them and among the top 10 games streamed on Twitch. They offered double what they paid for the rights last time.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Unless it's the studio that produces MLB the Show, I don't think I'd be interested even with as bad as EA is. Never been a fan of PES and some of the other non EA soccer games.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
It's a cash cow for them and among the top 10 games streamed on Twitch. They offered double what they paid for the rights last time.

I'm aware of its popularity and profitability. I merely maintain it's going to be a long time (if ever) that anybody makes a competing product on par with it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I hate both EA and FIFA with passion.
Both are horrible.

That being said, do FIFA really believe a developer can create a game of that magnitude with less than year? That's insanity. It would take at least best case scenario, 3 years.

Also nobody will invest $1B annually without reassurance they can make more. The best case scenario would be a % tied to the total revenues of the game. At least on the first few years.

Also what are the benefits of FIFA? Only the name/World Cup or does it also includes all the leagues and players right?

They can still pay Fifa a licensing fee to use the leagues/logos.

But I think they could also make individual deals with each league / association.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Remember Ziderm, Ronarid or Romero in the old PES?

Good times

Now get ready for Holond, Mbipo, Lovedangski, Grise Mine, Kevon DeBron, BenMacZemo, LocoTelly and ComeVenga

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They can still pay Fifa a licensing fee to use the leagues/logos.

But I think they could also make individual deals with each league / association.
I believe the only thing they lose is World Cup licence and the name. All the leagues and players they have is licensed separately. This is just FIFA being insanely greedy.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad