Proposal: Fiala to Pittsburgh

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Since Fiala has apparently already fallen out of favor during his short stint in Minnesota, what would it take move Fiala and his 3mil cap for the next 2 years to Pittsburgh?

My offer starts with: Galchenyuk +

"ZOMG! Why Galchenyuk? HE SUXZORS!! LOlz! Do you even watch the hockey matches, bro?!"

Because Galchenyuk is a UFA at the end of the season. Wild can get out of the Fiala deal, freeing up cap space and then decide whether or not Galchenyuk is worth keeping around. If so? Great. If not? You get $4,900,000 in cap space back this summer... giving the wild a bit more flexibility with their unfortunate cap complications.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Since Fiala has apparently already fallen out of favor during his short stint in Minnesota, what would it take move Fiala and his 3mil cap for the next 2 years to Pittsburgh?

"ZOMG! Why Galchenyuk? HE SUXZORS!! LOlz! Do you even watch the hockey matches, bro?!"

Because Galchenyuk is a UFA at the end of the season. Wild can get out of the Fiala deal, freeing up cap space and then decide whether or not Galchenyuk is worth keeping around. If so? Great. If not? You get $4,900,000 in cap space back this summer... giving the wild a bit more flexibility with their unfortunate cap complications.
The Wild "get out of" the 2 year, $3m Fiala contract by taking on the $4.9m Galchenyuk contract that expires to UFA status?

The Wild don't really have any short term cap problems.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
wild fan here, we need to get younger & faster and fiala fits that bill. we also need a year to see if fiala ; donato ; kunin; greenway ; JEE can take the next step. too soon to give up on fiala.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would like him here...but maybe not at that cost.

With how they've been playing lately, I'm honestly not sure what I think they'd need.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I had totally forgotten that Galchenyuk was in PIT. If you are prepared to trade him for Fiala then he mustn't be doing very well, though Fiala is the sort of guy I could see taking off with the Pens.

At this point I have no clue who or what Fiala is, and MN is such a mess that it's unlikely that I will know anytime soon.

I think PIT would be far smarter to target someone like Brodin. He'll be more expensive, but it's possible that a MN desperate for C help would trade for Galchenyuk +. Brodin's competence on the back end and speed would be helpful to just about any team, but especially PIT.

Does Galch even play C now?

Last edited:

cspera777

Jul 6, 2018

Um, Galchenyuk is only 5 times the player Fiala is......thanks but no thanks

Reactions: stardog

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The Penguins trading Galchenyuk after he has been good for the Penguins so far and has also meshed well with Geno would be super short sighted.

The Penguins won't move him because they just traded for him, but let's not exaggerate how well he's going to mesh with Geno because of the preseason. There's reason to be optimistic about it, yes, but definitive as you were . . . no.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I had totally forgotten that Galchenyuk was in PIT. If you are prepared to trade him for Fiala then he mustn't be doing very well, though Fiala is the sort of guy I could see taking off with the Pens.

At this point I have no clue who or what Fiala is, and MN is such a mess that it's unlikely that I will know anytime soon.

Galchenyuk played one game. Got hurt in the preseason. Played the opener. Hasn't played since. So, the jury is out on him.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

Some of us definitely want to hang on to him, as you've seen with some of the replies since. In my view, his versatility is a plus, and his age puts him right in line with Guentzel, Petterson, McCann, Murray, in that he could hopefully be a core player in his mid-20s (and hopefully help ease the Pens slide in age as their big guns get into the mid 30s).

But yeah, decent preseason and a couple of points early, followed by a couple of good early games and then the injury. We don't really even know what we have on our hands right now. Like you said w/ Fiala, we have no clue what he is right now (to this team anyway). Could be a McCann who adapts and looks great riding shotgun in the top 6, or he could be a Bjug where his style of play just doesn't gel.

I think some of the haste to trade him on is 1. the emergence of the WBS callus that have started out on fire and 2. the fact that he's a UFA in the summer. Honestly, the last part doesn't even bother me that much. It would suck to lose him for free if he does well, but anything under 6M AAV I think the Pens keep him. And if he really disappoints, getting his cap space will be a decent consolation.

he always starts well and the more he plays the worse he gets.

Cool. But after three reg season games, we should probably actually see if he even starts well for us before calling it part of his pattern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad