FHM 9

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
Just wondering how far has anyone got in the game via career progression.

I'd love to start out at a lower reputation league and work my way up into the NHL, there two things that worry me though:

1) Teams often announce departure and hire a replacement before you even get a chance to apply. I don't even know where the apply button is!

2) I would be worried about leaving a team on the basis that I felt I was worthy of going up to a higher level league, but the game not valuing my progress in the same way, leaving me stuck without a team.

I'd love to know if anyone has achieved anything like this, going from AHL or even CHL and into the NHL.

The game seems to be geared towards staying with one team for the duration of the save, but the real hockey world just isn't like that.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Just wondering how far has anyone got in the game via career progression.

I'd love to start out at a lower reputation league and work my way up into the NHL, there two things that worry me though:

1) Teams often announce departure and hire a replacement before you even get a chance to apply. I don't even know where the apply button is!

2) I would be worried about leaving a team on the basis that I felt I was worthy of going up to a higher level league, but the game not valuing my progress in the same way, leaving me stuck without a team.

I'd love to know if anyone has achieved anything like this, going from AHL or even CHL and into the NHL.

The game seems to be geared towards staying with one team for the duration of the save, but the real hockey world just isn't like that.

1. You don't apply for Jobs. Teams will send you an offer if they want you as their coach. However if you miss it in the inbox they will higher someone else.

2. Teams value success, which is why you get an end of season score. Leagues are ranked, but you can game experience that can bring you to the NHL eventually.

You absolutely can work your way up, but you need to remember it's a long haul type scenario. If you're starting at the beginning, you have to pass every coach who is currently in a job or looking for a job. You can do it, but it's not a 2 or 3 year thing. It could be a decade or more.

Regardless, the game in on sale until the 7th at 1pm Eastern for $9.99 USD, so there's still time to grab it for cheap!

In the mean time, don't forget to check out our Mods! The 2D engine is now modable and people have been adding a lot of good players/objects instead of the blocks. I myself just created a Mascot one...which makes me laugh every time I watch a Game. Gritty vs Youppi for life!

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
1. You don't apply for Jobs. Teams will send you an offer if they want you as their coach. However if you miss it in the inbox they will higher someone else.

2. Teams value success, which is why you get an end of season score. Leagues are ranked, but you can game experience that can bring you to the NHL eventually.

You absolutely can work your way up, but you need to remember it's a long haul type scenario. If you're starting at the beginning, you have to pass every coach who is currently in a job or looking for a job. You can do it, but it's not a 2 or 3 year thing. It could be a decade or more.

Regardless, the game in on sale until the 7th at 1pm Eastern for $9.99 USD, so there's still time to grab it for cheap!

In the mean time, don't forget to check out our Mods! The 2D engine is now modable and people have been adding a lot of good players/objects instead of the blocks. I myself just created a Mascot one...which makes me laugh every time I watch a Game. Gritty vs Youppi for life!

Do you have to be unemployed in the game to get job offers, I've never received one.

The game is right to make it a long process to work way up - such as real life. I like the game to be realistic.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Do you have to be unemployed in the game to get job offers, I've never received one.

The game is right to make it a long process to work way up - such as real life. I like the game to be realistic.

You can get job offers, although usually you may get a few more if you're unemployed. But if you quit a job, it may be a year or two before you get your next offer. And if you manager gets too old, they won't likely get an offer either.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Just a general question/ rant - are the tactics / tactical engines in this completely busted? I seem to not be able to understand why I am winning and /or losing no matter what I do. I don't 'watch' games - I just simulate. Two things are a constant:

1. results are always highly random.
2. My bottom 2 lines ALWAYS suck no matter how talented in any area they are.

Anyone else?

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Just a general question/ rant - are the tactics / tactical engines in this completely busted? I seem to not be able to understand why I am winning and /or losing no matter what I do. I don't 'watch' games - I just simulate. Two things are a constant:

1. results are always highly random.
2. My bottom 2 lines ALWAYS suck no matter how talented in any area they are.

Anyone else?

Results aren't random. They can differentiate if you replay the same game over and over though.

You need to identify what tactic best suits your team and stick with it for at least a season. Players need time to adapt and play to it. So my first guess would be start there. Second, are you look at talent in terms of stars, or actual stats? Because both are important. Global > Unit > Player. How your player tactics are though directly affect each other as well as their chemistry between each other. If you have 3 scorers, they aren't going to score near as much as a scorer, playmaker and a forechecker (or some form of this). You need players in different roles.

Third, what's your players ice times like? That's always something to be watching out for. If your fourth line players are playing 8-10 minutes a night, are they *really* playing 8-10 minutes tonight together? Or are the playing a decent chunk on special teams? That makes a difference too.

Focus on finding the right global tactic for you and your players. If you're not sure what best suits, check the manual and look at the stats to make your best decision - and give your team time to adapt.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Results aren't random. They can differentiate if you replay the same game over and over though.

You need to identify what tactic best suits your team and stick with it for at least a season. Players need time to adapt and play to it. So my first guess would be start there. Second, are you look at talent in terms of stars, or actual stats? Because both are important. Global > Unit > Player. How your player tactics are though directly affect each other as well as their chemistry between each other. If you have 3 scorers, they aren't going to score near as much as a scorer, playmaker and a forechecker (or some form of this). You need players in different roles.

Third, what's your players ice times like? That's always something to be watching out for. If your fourth line players are playing 8-10 minutes a night, are they *really* playing 8-10 minutes tonight together? Or are the playing a decent chunk on special teams? That makes a difference too.

Focus on finding the right global tactic for you and your players. If you're not sure what best suits, check the manual and look at the stats to make your best decision - and give your team time to adapt.

If you cannot get a decent sample of how well your tactics are working within a 10-20 game stretch, how are you ever supposed to really know if they are working or not? I don't think my lineup ever stays the same for more than 30-40 games due to injuries. Every lineup change changes Unit > Player tactical composition.

Reactions: CasusBelli

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Started the season as #1 contender/favourite, go 8-1-1 to open it, piling up 40+ shot games. Don't make ANY line or tactics changes, and go 1-9-0 in the next 10, shots drop to 18-25 a game. No tactical changes. Both goalies are cold, my entire bottom-6 has a game rating of ~ 55 through 20. Would be nice to have some idea of what is causing the wild swings in results.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Started the season as #1 contender/favourite, go 8-1-1 to open it, piling up 40+ shot games. Don't make ANY line or tactics changes, and go 1-9-0 in the next 10, shots drop to 18-25 a game. No tactical changes. Both goalies are cold, my entire bottom-6 has a game rating of ~ 55 through 20. Would be nice to have some idea of what is causing the wild swings in results.

You'll get an idea after 10-20 games, but it's not a fully adaptation to know with 100% certainty.

What it sounds like is your defense is having some tougher games if you're going through. Your schedule may have had better teams, or their tactics may be the perfect counterattack to yours. 55 isn't terrible either. It's not great, it's not as bad as it could be. It sounds like though you likely need to mix and match your players/bench a bit though.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Mostly playing historical mode. What FHM 8 will bring new to this mode ? :)

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Apologies, as I'm sure it's probably been covered earlier in the thread, but is there still not a "live" multiplayer? My friend and I run a Football Manager game in the background while we each work from home and with the addition of the 2d engine now, this would be a must-buy for us if we could run the same for FHM (and get to see each other's games, etc...).

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
If you weren't aware, 8 is now available! (Released yesterday). - Sorry for my late reply - I've been in the hospital. You should be finding it just about everywhere you could want to buy it (or if not, soon!).
Great job doing all the right tweaks this year !!! Played around a fair amount since it came out !

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I didn't quite understand the changes made to Scouting. What are they pertaining to?

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
I didn't quite understand the changes made to Scouting. What are they pertaining to?

In terms of what? The way the reports changed? It was done to give a better synopsis and make it easier to read. Or what part are you referring to?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
In terms of what? The way the reports changed? It was done to give a better synopsis and make it easier to read. Or what part are you referring to?

I watched the first live on Twitch (or was it the second?) and it was mentionned there were changes regarding scouting (or just scouting reports?), but there wasn't much details (or, if there was, I missed them). Also mentionned the revamped scouting reports on the Website.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it appears to have been the reports that were changed, as opposed to scouting as a whole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad