FHM 9

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Better simulation: FHM
Better support from devs: FHM
Game speed: FHM
Scouting: FHM
2d match engine: EHM (but FHM will improved)
Interface: EHM (but looks dated now)
Training camp: EHM
Trading interface: EHM
Most active community: EHM

I think that's a fair assessment.

I would give game speed to EHM, and add player development which would go to FHM. Agree with others.

Reactions: Matt UK

Beef Cake

Aug 10, 2016
FHM7 took a huge step forward in simulation, but I'd agree with Pukovnik about game speed, it's still pretty far behind EHM in that regard.

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
I think this is such a subjective question and depends on what league(s) you're looking to play and what you're looking to get out of a hockey sim. In an ideal world, I'd implore people to buy both games (EHM is regularly on sale for $5 and FHM does get discounted eventually) but I know not everybody has the funds to do so. The more we can support both games, the better for all of us.

I do like that this is even worthy of debate as it shows that both games continue to have appeal and relevance. IMO you can't go too far wrong with either game.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Better simulation: FHM
Better support from devs: FHM
Game speed: FHM
Scouting: FHM
2d match engine: EHM (but FHM will improved)
Interface: EHM (but looks dated now)
Training camp: EHM
Trading interface: EHM
Most active community: EHM

I think that's a fair assessment.

I would add player development and ageing and give that a huge advantage to FHM. In EHM you regularly get players putting up career bests well into their 30s. Most of the time the scoring leaderboard is dominated by 30+ year olds. If you draft a player who is a star at 20 you can pretty much keep him for the next 20 years and know he will almost be as good in his mid to late 30s as he was his early to mid 20s.

billbillbill

Jun 8, 2006
I have enjoyed FHM7 so far. I much prefer the new scouting system. Being able to filter by ratings in the player search screen feels great. The researchers have done some interesting work this year using the offensive and defensive read attributes more liberally to represent "no toolbox" players.

If you're an FHM skeptic, I'd recommend watchful waiting. If they can get the new match engine to work as advertised, that's a leap into the stratosphere for this series and a reason to give the games another try.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I recently got FHM 7 and am pretty impressed with the set up. I am struggling with player evaluation quite a bit and have noticed some unrealistic player performances. I am in 2nd season as GM of Ottawa. My goalies and D stink (realistic) but I traded away Murray and a random ECHL guy I had under contract. Murray is now thriving in Edmonton (sure I guess), but the ECHL guy went to PHI and they're using him in tandem with Hart. 15 games in he leads the league in SV% and GAA. He shouldn't even be in the NHL. A number of other "no name" goalies are in the NHL with great stats.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I recently got FHM 7 and am pretty impressed with the set up. I am struggling with player evaluation quite a bit and have noticed some unrealistic player performances. I am in 2nd season as GM of Ottawa. My goalies and D stink (realistic) but I traded away Murray and a random ECHL guy I had under contract. Murray is now thriving in Edmonton (sure I guess), but the ECHL guy went to PHI and they're using him in tandem with Hart. 15 games in he leads the league in SV% and GAA. He shouldn't even be in the NHL. A number of other "no name" goalies are in the NHL with great stats.

I've found evaluating goalies to be pretty much a crapshoot. It might be worth it just to run with a couple two-star draftees on sub-million dollars deals and spend the money elsewhere - as long as your defense and tactics are up to snuff, you'll probably be fine.

Reactions: Flukeshot

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I've found evaluating goalies to be pretty much a crapshoot. It might be worth it just to run with a couple two-star draftees on sub-million dollars deals and spend the money elsewhere - as long as your defense and tactics are up to snuff, you'll probably be fine.

Two star goalie is NHL goalie, not star one for sure, but in RL Chicago won the Cup with Niemi, Philly went to the finals with Boucher/Leighton duo.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont

I've gotta figure out a defensive tactic scheme.

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
I would give game speed to EHM, and add player development which would go to FHM. Agree with others.

The speed issue is variable, I have a fairly up-to-date laptop but can't run anything other than NHL, AHL,CHL in EHM. In FHM, I can run every serious league in NA and Europe - I'm not a technical person but understand it's a 'threading' issue with EHM, due to its age. Some computers don't suffer with it though.

Last edited:

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
I think this is such a subjective question and depends on what league(s) you're looking to play and what you're looking to get out of a hockey sim. In an ideal world, I'd implore people to buy both games (EHM is regularly on sale for $5 and FHM does get discounted eventually) but I know not everybody has the funds to do so. The more we can support both games, the better for all of us.

I do like that this is even worthy of debate as it shows that both games continue to have appeal and relevance. IMO you can't go too far wrong with either game.

Very true, despite personally favouring FHM these days, I think it speaks volumes that EHM still has such a core following and that Riz still continues to invest time into the game.

Parksade

Jan 23, 2021
Calgary
Thanks guys. I ended up getting FHM 7 and going to try the historical play through of the 92-93 season. Any tips for someone trying historical saves? Maybe I can draft better lol

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Thanks guys. I ended up getting FHM 7 and going to try the historical play through of the 92-93 season. Any tips for someone trying historical saves? Maybe I can draft better lol

Back in FHM 4 or 5 I played with Montreal from 1917. until 80-s. It was fun, but after some time it can become dull if you play with draft rookies instead of generate it, as you always can "prepare" yourself for strong drafts by acquiring picks.

I would recommend either taking weak (or expansion) teams with drafting, or taking strong team like Montreal with "generate rookies" and try to match or surpass historical results. :)

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Figured I'd give this a go again, hadn't played since FHM3. Seems like a work has been done, runs smoother than I remember. Is it still possible to have the expansion draft?

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Has anyone more or less figured out when players reach their max star potential? I have a bunch of guys who are still projected to grow but are reaching 23-24. I find that there are a lot of guys notable names that don't become NHL and stop developing in the AHL. Some examples, Kyrou, Pinto, Rossi even Stuetlze. They reach 2 star but as offensive forwards can't make the top 6 and then suck on the 4th line. If I leave them in the AHL they don't increase either.

These are 3.5-4 star potential players just dying out at 2 stars. It's not just me either, those type of guys are constantly on waivers.

Anyone else seeing this and/or have advice?

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Has anyone more or less figured out when players reach their max star potential? I have a bunch of guys who are still projected to grow but are reaching 23-24. I find that there are a lot of guys notable names that don't become NHL and stop developing in the AHL. Some examples, Kyrou, Pinto, Rossi even Stuetlze. They reach 2 star but as offensive forwards can't make the top 6 and then suck on the 4th line. If I leave them in the AHL they don't increase either.

These are 3.5-4 star potential players just dying out at 2 stars. It's not just me either, those type of guys are constantly on waivers.

Anyone else seeing this and/or have advice?

If you're having issues developing them, you're probably doing a couple things;

(1) Are you training them enough? They should be getting max training to help get them to their top level as fast as they can.
(2) Underplaying them. Players with high potential should be playing 15+ minutes a night. That means minimum 2nd line and some special teams.
(3) Did you change Stats Percentages with Stars? Because that could affect it.

Not everyone will turn out though. That's just the way it is. But if some guys get rushed they may never become quite the guy you thought they would either.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont

(1) Are you training them enough? They should be getting max training to help get them to their top level as fast as they can.
(2) Underplaying them. Players with high potential should be playing 15+ minutes a night. That means minimum 2nd line and some special teams.

Not everyone will turn out though. That's just the way it is. But if some guys get rushed they may never become quite the guy you thought they would either.
That's very helpful thanks!

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada

Very helpful. Clears a lot up. Not to sound pushy, I realize the work that goes into these updates, but can we expect an update soon? Just curious if I should wait to start a new game.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007

Does this apply for prospects in historical mode as well (no farm team to give them top minutes)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad