FHM 9

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Hmm, I listened it twice very carefully, but I couldn't figure out..can you give us hint where on podcast time-table is ?

I haven't listened to it myself yet. Because... I mean I recorded it? I will this weekend and get back to you.

Has it been mentioned whether or not there are functional minor, European and junior leagues in historic mode yet?

Currently no. However with our expanding database we're taking steps towards making that possibly possible. Juniors and minors are more likely than Europeans first though. Jeff mentioned about the possibility of u20 historical tournaments.

stahl

Mar 26, 2011
I got a new PC and am wondering how to unlicense the game? Opening settings and License only seems to give you the option to activate the license. Would rather not use one of my license's on the old machine.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I haven't listened to it myself yet. Because... I mean I recorded it? I will this weekend and get back to you.

Currently no. However with our expanding database we're taking steps towards making that possibly possible. Juniors and minors are more likely than Europeans first though. Jeff mentioned about the possibility of u20 historical tournaments.

Nice ! :) After minors and juniors I would like to see Soviet league :)

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
The changes to the scouting system look really helpful - for me, managing 100+ scouts (which may be unnecessary but is what I did) and having to manually resign 30-40 scouts every few years, while also hunting down scouts I hoped had expertise in specific leagues, was maybe the biggest hassle I was having. Having a map rather than a textual list is exactly what I imagined as an improvement.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what the AI changes look like. I'm definitely buying this as soon as I can.

Reactions: Conbon

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
The changes to the scouting system look really helpful - for me, managing 100+ scouts (which may be unnecessary but is what I did) and having to manually resign 30-40 scouts every few years, while also hunting down scouts I hoped had expertise in specific leagues, was maybe the biggest hassle I was having. Having a map rather than a textual list is exactly what I imagined as an improvement.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what the AI changes look like. I'm definitely buying this as soon as I can.
Jeff always gives me a hard time with that, but I think that's what inspired the change :P

Regardless, during our usually stream time of 10pm Eastern tomorrow (Wednesday), we'll be live doing a little bit more in-depth look at 7 and answering questions from the chat if anyone is interested.

QuantifiedQ

Jul 9, 2019
Jeff always gives me a hard time with that, but I think that's what inspired the change :P

Regardless, during our usually stream time of 10pm Eastern tomorrow (Wednesday), we'll be live doing a little bit more in-depth look at 7 and answering questions from the chat if anyone is interested.
looking forward to it Thursday morning :P

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

Will you start FHM 7 series or countinuing with 6 ?

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Will you start FHM 7 series or countinuing with 6 ?
Great question. My Wild Stream has been by far the longest we have ever done. I'm tempted to keep it, but I think I'll probably start fresh with a new one. I'm not sure what Jeff is thinking, but he'll probably stick with historical.

I am tempted to take over Tampa Bay and blow the whole team up, or maybe do a rebuilding continued with Detroit. However if you have other suggestions, I'm open to it. I've also giving some thought to an Arizona or Seattle playthrough.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Great question. My Wild Stream has been by far the longest we have ever done. I'm tempted to keep it, but I think I'll probably start fresh with a new one. I'm not sure what Jeff is thinking, but he'll probably stick with historical.

I am tempted to take over Tampa Bay and blow the whole team up, or maybe do a rebuilding continued with Detroit. However if you have other suggestions, I'm open to it. I've also giving some thought to an Arizona or Seattle playthrough.

As Avalanche fan Detroit series is big no no :P, but Arizona and Seattle sounds interesting. You should make poll on twitter between these two. :)

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Can't wait to give 7 a spin when it comes out! I'm in particular keen on the updates to historical mode, and would love to see more depth and customizability with each successive version. If anyone is curious, my dream is to start a save in the 94 offseason, post Rangers cup, with a few "what ifs" - as in, no lockout, immediate expansion to 30 teams (welcome to the NHL, Houston Aeros, Indianapolis Racers, and a new rivalry with Portland & Seattle), and some financial balance to the league (so Calgary might hold onto MacInnis, Winnipeg doesn't blow up their team, etc.). Also, a very specific "what if" of what happens if Quebec doesn't trade Sundin. I'm also keen on setting up a European "super league" to compete with (but ultimately fail against) the NHL.

One quick question I have, are there any plans to include goals forward & goals against for all skaters (for even strength, PP, and PK) to augment the +/- stat? Similarly, any plans to add shot attempts for & against (even though I know this is a very "modern" stat, it would be very cool to look at in historical saves)?

Last edited:

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
Bit of a more in-depth looking going through some of the main features here:

I can imagine it would have been a huge task to implement a 2D format, but I'm a little bit concerned by how slow the players generally move at times.

Also, I'm a bit concerned about defensive reactions looking at this clip from 41:17 in the video.

The red goalie makes the save but the puck is just left out in front of the goal. The three defending players closest to the puck barely move to react to it which allows the forward to score.

Red #5 and #2 just slightly move across, #77 doesn't really move at all, nor does #65 who is a bit further away from play but could at least skate down to put on pressure. It's just an easy goal for the white #73 and it's a bit worrying.

Also the dots look very small compared to the height of the goal. I'm trying to get used to it, but for me it just doesn't look right at the moment.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Bit of a more in-depth looking going through some of the main features here:

I can imagine it would have been a huge task to implement a 2D format, but I'm a little bit concerned by how slow the players generally move at times.

Also, I'm a bit concerned about defensive reactions looking at this clip from 41:17 in the video.

The red goalie makes the save but the puck is just left out in front of the goal. The three defending players closest to the puck barely move to react to it which allows the forward to score.

Red #5 and #2 just slightly move across, #77 doesn't really move at all, nor does #65 who is a bit further away from play but could at least skate down to put on pressure. It's just an easy goal for the white #73 and it's a bit worrying.

Also the dots look very small compared to the height of the goal. I'm trying to get used to it, but for me it just doesn't look right at the moment.

The 2D engine is completely brand new and separate from the previous engine. That's why both are in the game. It has taken well over a year of planning and execution. Jeff mentioned in either the podcast or a previous video that the old engine divided the ice into basically seven or eight different sections. The new engine? I could be wrong but I think it was 6,000.... Or something ridiculously high. I can't remember off top my head.

Whereas with FHM6 we launched on build about 55, we're currently already through 95. The testing hasn't stopped and won't. For lack of a better term, this is essentially version 1.0 so there may be some growing pains with it. But it's good, it's stable, and it's providing good results in the hundreds of hours of testing we have already put into it.

And I get what you mean with the nets. Again, to be honest internally and not even all the beta testers have seen the ice and players develop over time. Needless to say it's been several iterations already. The nets are 3Dish, and to be honest we're not 100% sold on them ourselves, but some people really like them but it's also clear some people may not. Our goal is to have a lot of things modable sooner rather than later too. there's still some really cool things that didn't quite make it into the first iteration that assuming we get good results testing should eventually make its way in too.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Is the expansion draft after the 20/21 season automatic in FHM 7 or will I have to manually set it up?

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
Must say, the 2D engine definitely needs work, which I'm sure it will, but the rest of the game is very good and I highly recommend it if anyone is thinking about getting it.

I'm not sure if I've found a small bug, but on the Units screen when adjusting tactics, the star rating for each line seems broken. They are only giving me 1 to 1.5 stars for even my top line! My team isn't that bad! ha

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad