FHM 9

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Are You using FHM development or "recalculate ratings after each season" ? In first case, players could be better or worse then their RL counterparts. In second case, players get rating(s) based on their RL performances. When I used FHM development, Gretzky scored over 3000 points, and Sakic was over 2500.
I use the FHM development engine. I just find it so weird that Howe always reaches five stars, but when I put him on the second line with Ratelle, he puts up 60 points. When I put him with Mikita on the first line, he barely makes 70 points. But when I put Ratelle with Lafleur on the second line, Lafleur gets 100 points without breaking a sweat. Only when I trade Howe to another team does he start producing at a point per game or better.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I use the FHM development engine. I just find it so weird that Howe always reaches five stars, but when I put him on the second line with Ratelle, he puts up 60 points. When I put him with Mikita on the first line, he barely makes 70 points. But when I put Ratelle with Lafleur on the second line, Lafleur gets 100 points without breaking a sweat. Only when I trade Howe to another team does he start producing at a point per game or better.

When you go to tactics screen and player tactics, try to make Howe to play more offensively, put his backcheking on easy (rare). I think it could/should increase his points.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

You really have to fiddle with the tactics to optimize some player types.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
You really have to fiddle with the tactics to optimize some player types.
Yeah, except I usually play GM only, as I feel the game gets too easy once I’m all 20s in the coaching skills department. Maybe the AI coaching / tactics system isn’t the best. It did, after all, make Lindros a Grinder, Pavel Bure a Power Forward (peaked at three stars and never hit PPG — even with Sundin or Yzerman as his center and Robitaille or Leclair as his LW) and Mario Lemieux a Garbage Collector.

Also: am I better off signing players and sending them to Minors, or letting them develop on their own and then signing them right before their rights expire — assuming they have at least 2 stars? Finally, is it better to put them on the 4th line in the NHL or in the minors, where they might be a first or second liner?

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Yeah, except I usually play GM only, as I feel the game gets too easy once I’m all 20s in the coaching skills department. Maybe the AI coaching / tactics system isn’t the best. It did, after all, make Lindros a Grinder, Pavel Bure a Power Forward (peaked at three stars and never hit PPG — even with Sundin or Yzerman as his center and Robitaille or Leclair as his LW) and Mario Lemieux a Garbage Collector.

Also: am I better off signing players and sending them to Minors, or letting them develop on their own and then signing them right before their rights expire — assuming they have at least 2 stars? Finally, is it better to put them on the 4th line in the NHL or in the minors, where they might be a first or second liner?

There is unwritten consensus among FHM players that 2 stars player is NHL ready.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
There is unwritten consensus among FHM players that 2 stars player is NHL ready.
But until that point, does signing a player and putting him in the minors promote development more than waiting to sign him to an ELC? I had Naslund stay at one star while he was in the minors for two years, which was odd, but I’ve noticed that players’ NHL GR increases during their first season if you keep moving them between NHL and minors. Or maybe that’s just an anomaly ...

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I had an update to my MacKinnon/Draisaitl situation.

Both saw their contracts end in Russia and reenter the free agent pool. MacKinnon was a 5.0 star player, Draisaitl 4.5 stars, and both demanded something like $3.5 M per year for three years. I snapped both up at $5 million, exploitative as that is.

I assume that a free agent's salary demands might be a function of their previous salary? So, a player who has signed a UFA or at least a late RFA contract will take their previous salary, their player ratings, their age, and their greed/loyalty ratings and demand a certain amount of money according to an algorithm that is based in part on their previous salary?

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
But until that point, does signing a player and putting him in the minors promote development more than waiting to sign him to an ELC? I had Naslund stay at one star while he was in the minors for two years, which was odd, but I’ve noticed that players’ NHL GR increases during their first season if you keep moving them between NHL and minors. Or maybe that’s just an anomaly ...

I can't tell you because when it comes to Historical mode, I usually play with "recalculate ratings after each season" :)

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I can't tell you because when it comes to Historical mode, I usually play with "recalculate ratings after each season" :)
Fair point. I’m guessing I’m not the only one who trades players at their apex for first round picks and trades second round selections (with a third round pick) for first round selections. I was especially fond of trading 33 year old Dionne and a second for unsigned Lemieux and two first round picks. :laugh:

It might be gamey, but how else do you build the dream you’ve always dreamt as a kid? I thoroughly enjoyed:

Robitaille - Lemieux - Roenick
Leclair - Yzerman - Fedorov
Tkachuk - Sakic - Bure / Jagr

Stevens - Bourque
Lidstrom - McInnis
Niedermeyer - Blake

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Fair point. I’m guessing I’m not the only one who trades players at their apex for first round picks and trades second round selections (with a third round pick) for first round selections. I was especially fond of trading 33 year old Dionne and a second for unsigned Lemieux and two first round picks. :laugh:

It might be gamey, but how else do you build the dream you’ve always dreamt as a kid? I thoroughly enjoyed:

Robitaille - Lemieux - Roenick
Leclair - Yzerman - Fedorov
Tkachuk - Sakic - Bure / Jagr

Stevens - Bourque
Lidstrom - McInnis
Niedermeyer - Blake

I am playing with "draft rookies" rather than generate (in that case rookies appears as property of their RL clubs). Played with Canadiens and always ensured picks for best Quebecios players, but couldn't make it done to pick both Roy and Lemieux. Historical mode is great nostalgia trip, although it can become too easy sometimes, at least until introduction of Salary cap.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I am playing with "draft rookies" rather than generate (in that case rookies appears as property of their RL clubs). Played with Canadiens and always ensured picks for best Quebecios players, but couldn't make it done to pick both Roy and Lemieux. Historical mode is great nostalgia trip, although it can become too easy sometimes, at least until introduction of Salary cap.
Yeah, definitely is. It seems the only check on the lack of realism is starbplayers being dissatisfied with ice time. I had to trade Sundin, one of my all time favorite players, because he was Angry for a full season. Sorry dude, as much as I love you, I can’t put 2 star Sundin ahead of ppg Sakic on the third line.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
89 regular season games in one season. Wow!

Attachments

• nhl_player_records.jpg
    nhl_player_records.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 16

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I bought the game and been playing for a couple of hours in the last few evenings. Definitely an interesting game. Quite addictive and fun.

The one thing that jumps right to my eyes so far is the trade negociations process. It would be fun if:

A) The AI could come up with real-time counter-offers. Especially at important times of the season like the trade deadline, the draft and July 1st.
B) When you put a player on the trading block, the offers are ridiculously low. I get offered AHL players when I put a guy like Danault on the trading block. I mean, I can understand nobody's going to offer me the moon for a 2.5 stars players. But I would try and make the trade offers more realistic.
C) It would be neat if we could update our team's needs in the trading screen. Say you need a LW, well teams are going to be more inclined to offer you a LW.
D) When playing GM only, it would be great if the coaching staff could come up with suggestions on what you should do to make your team better. Say "I feel we could need a top-6 LW" or "I think Player X should be traded for the best of the team's morale". This kind of interaction could add a lot to the realism of the game.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
I can't wait for FHM 7. This would usually be the time of year we'd be getting the new release. Anxious to get my hands on it.

The past two 5, and 6 really brought the series to another level, by far the best most realistic hockey sims I've played.

Same, I am really looking forward to seeing what steps they're going to take with it. Getting better every year.

News is still coming...but Jeff dropped some big information in our latest live stream...

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Anyone done a Historical game in which Gretzky didn’t end up being the all-time leading scorer? I had Lemieux cross 3,000 points (having Robitaille and Oates at his wings helped him cross 180 points more than five times) and Gretzky finish with about 2,700 in my latest game.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Anyone done a Historical game in which Gretzky didn’t end up being the all-time leading scorer? I had Lemieux cross 3,000 points (having Robitaille and Oates at his wings helped him cross 180 points more than five times) and Gretzky finish with about 2,700 in my latest game.

I did, but can't remember if it was FHM 6 or FHM 5.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
It says he was drafted in 2045 in 1st round 14th overall...
True, but with an army of scouts (I usually have at least 30-40 of them) you can uncover some real gems, even if the above wasn’t a proper example.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Is it possible to have that many of scouts ?
The only limit I’ve encountered is budget, and I usually sign lots of decent young scouts, many of whom get better over time — which is a money saver.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Is it possible to have that many of scouts ?

I usually have upwards of 100. I'm playing a game as Ottawa right now with 110 scouts.

It's a pain to manage, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->