FHM 9

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
This needs it’s own thread, the FHM4 one is a touch out of date.

Out of the Park Developments Announces Franchise Hockey Manager 6

Comes out October 11. I highly recommend to anyone interested in hockey sims to buy this game. FHM5 was the most fun I’ve had playing a hockey game in a long time.

It's looking like a decent update from FHM 5 too. I have a test copy, I will try load it up tonight. I can leave some reviews (well as much as I'm allowed) if anybody likes.

It seems like FHM might just well become the norm for hockey fans as EHM is only Riz developing it and obviously things have slowed down for him at the moment.

Reactions: Paul4587
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
May bite the bullet and try it. Funny the link says check out the screenshots, but then I can only see one screenshot :laugh:

I really would love (either myself - or someone else!) to embark on a crazy-historical challenge. Start out when the leagues first started and then go all the way till now..

@Paul4587 since you play this game a lot more than EHM, how does the game handle regens/newgens? If I were to start out in the 1930s, will there be fake players to play with besides the big names?
I would love to see how the starting database config would look like. The bigger the max can handle, the better

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
May bite the bullet and try it. Funny the link says check out the screenshots, but then I can only see one screenshot :laugh:

I really would love (either myself - or someone else!) to embark on a crazy-historical challenge. Start out when the leagues first started and then go all the way till now..

@Paul4587 since you play this game a lot more than EHM, how does the game handle regens/newgens? If I were to start out in the 1930s, will there be fake players to play with besides the big names?
I would love to see how the starting database config would look like. The bigger the max can handle, the better

Afaik all players in historical mode are real one's.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

DaBossN

Dec 26, 2016
As someone who has like 3000 hours on whole Eastside hockey manager series, I will say this is not true.

only 3k?

jN8TJkI.png

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
nah il stick to EHM
FHM just sucks lol

Believe me, I bought FHM 1, 2 AND 3. All three were riddled with bugs/crashes and I would still go back to EHM07 because I never faced any of those issues. The main reason why I got into FHM was because there was nothing else at the time that had extended playable leagues.

I am a hardcore EHM player, just looking for something different.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada

One of the things about being licensed by the NHL is we have to get everything approved. However screenshots are on the Steam Page, and we have a video on our YouTube channel with an OOTPNow Episode we did. Jeff and I also did our regular stream where we went over some new features (and that's on our YouTube channel as well).

I'll answer what I can as well, but you've got some already answered. Anyone who ever played in the NHL and WHA is in Historical Mode. Another project Jeff hopes to get started after launch is slowly backfilling draft picks.

The only caveat now is with Historical Editing - if you add too many teams, it will generate fake players because...well the answer should be obvious.

Believe me, I bought FHM 1, 2 AND 3. All three were riddled with bugs/crashes and I would still go back to EHM07 because I never faced any of those issues. The main reason why I got into FHM was because there was nothing else at the time that had extended playable leagues.

I am a hardcore EHM player, just looking for something different.

I'm not saying they were perfect, but 'riddled' isn't exactly fair either. We fix everything we can, but if we aren't told, it's impossible to know if someone is having an issue. We continue to add more and work to find issues. If you do find something, please let me (or us) know.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
The only caveat now is with Historical Editing - if you add too many teams, it will generate fake players because...well the answer should be obvious.

Yeah, I'm not too much of a person who tinkers around with data. Is there an option to add players in the starting config like EHM?

As I said above, I would love to just take a team from the beginning of when the NHL started, and go all the way to present day.. That would be a tough task.

Because you guys are licensed, is that why you can have a catalog of players going back to the 1920's/1930s? Are any other leagues licensed?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

In historical mode I believe all the guys coming up are actual real life players although I could be wrong. I’ve only really played historical games in the 80s and my historical saves never seem to last as long as my modern day saves. The pool I was drafting from though in the 80s was full of real life players. I know you can turn on random development so that everyone develops randomly as opposed to following their real life career path though.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I'm not too much of a person who tinkers around with data. Is there an option to add players in the starting config like EHM?

As I said above, I would love to just take a team from the beginning of when the NHL started, and go all the way to present day.. That would be a tough task.

Because you guys are licensed, is that why you can have a catalog of players going back to the 1920's/1930s? Are any other leagues licensed?

No. You can manually add players on July 1st if you wanted to add people. You absolutely can do that. League editing is pretty fun in 6. I ran a simulation in an early build from the 1940s to 2036 to see who would make it to the NHL only in a 6 team league and had some interesting results. In one game, Stamkos never made the NHL. In another Gretzky broke more records, playing until he was 43, with Super Mario right behind him.

To be clear, we have the NHL license, but not PA license. All the players are real, but we can't say - use their likeness/images. We don't have any other licenses though. For the NHL, we have all jerseys going all the way (including home and away) and logos. Others can be easily added via Mods.

I am happy to say though we added 3 new playable leagues this year.

smetana

B2B2B2B HA Champs
Aug 5, 2006
USA I.1
There are still some areas where EHM is superior to FHM. There are still some things that I, as a hockey sim fan, would like to see in FHM. I won't go into details, as I'm under an NDA.

I will say that, overall, FHM has at least met the level of the Eastside experience. I won't say it has exceeded it. Your opinions may vary.

The game is looking pretty damn slick this year, that I will say. A lot of work has gone into improving it.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Are we able to sticky this thread and remove the sticky for the FHM4 one?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
FHM 5 is a pretty good game, but I returned to EHM anyway because drafting experience is on totally different level in EHM...

I agree drafting is better in EHM but I don’t think it’s that far ahead. The simulation, player development and player aging in EHM though is much behind FHM. Player stats never seemed close to what they should be - wingers were more dominant than Cs and players would consistently have career years in their mid to late 30s. In FHM players still peak too late in terms of production but it’s closer to late their 20s.

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
With respect to the wonderful EHM, I think now, during the FHM 5 - FHM 6 period, FHM has overtaken EHM.

EHM arguably has a stronger community in terms of data updates etc, but for whatever reason, the game doesn't get any tweaks or updates.

At least with FHM, there is ongoing improvement and development.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
With respect to the wonderful EHM, I think now, during the FHM 5 - FHM 6 period, FHM has overtaken EHM.

EHM arguably has a stronger community in terms of data updates etc, but for whatever reason, the game doesn't get any tweaks or updates.

At least with FHM, there is ongoing improvement and development.

This is the only gripe I have with EHM. I respect Riz and the EHM game, but SI doesn't give a damn.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
My main issue with FHM compared to Eastside is that FHM can feel like an 'empty' world. If that makes sense?

EHM, I guess coming from the Football Manager series does a good job of the world feeling more active, I dunno. It's definitely gotten better with FHM 4/5 series though, and as mentioned above, 800+ new news lines added helps with things like this!

The UI being abit of a click fest - I honest think this is a German thing. German devs and every German game I've played (Hello Handball Manager) seems to have this same issue, plus OOTP had this issue for many years too. Obviously you get used to it after some hours though.

I would have liked FHM to focus on just a few leagues first, say the top 10 or something. Some of the lower leagues don't work right, rules aren't right etc. Not a major problem but again its definitely gotten better

But with EHM being very very slow currently or stopped as it seems, FHM is at least providing a yearly updated hockey sim for us all to enjoy.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
My main issue with FHM compared to Eastside is that FHM can feel like an 'empty' world. If that makes sense?

EHM, I guess coming from the Football Manager series does a good job of the world feeling more active, I dunno. It's definitely gotten better with FHM 4/5 series though, and as mentioned above, 800+ new news lines added helps with things like this!

The UI being abit of a click fest - I honest think this is a German thing. German devs and every German game I've played (Hello Handball Manager) seems to have this same issue, plus OOTP had this issue for many years too. Obviously you get used to it after some hours though.

I would have liked FHM to focus on just a few leagues first, say the top 10 or something. Some of the lower leagues don't work right, rules aren't right etc. Not a major problem but again its definitely gotten better

But with EHM being very very slow currently or stopped as it seems, FHM is at least providing a yearly updated hockey sim for us all to enjoy.

We're continuing to build. Lots of the stuff is built from the ground up. The 800+ Lines I added this year were all Message iterations. Some are small, some are big. There is some really good references in there, so definitely keep an eye out for that :P

To the point about the UI - It's a back and forth thing. We'll never likely be able to satisfy everyone. You do one thing, it makes someone happy, you make someone else upset. We try to find a balance. I still need to use the shortcuts on the menu more myself.

Most of the rules now work, and we add 3 additional leagues for that reason. If there is a compromise, it's usually for a reason. We will continue to work to improve. And listen. I'm excited for PTO's. Changing League Evolution in Historical, Line Saving, etc. We'll keep adding more. We'll keep growing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->