FHL welcomes the (wait for it...) Stateline Whalers

DTalbot

Jun 28, 2015
Greater Boston
If marketed right it could work, we have had a independent then college baseball team in Brockton (about 5 miles away from me) for about 13 years. The problem around here is you don't here about it if it doesn't involve the Boston Bruins.

Besides finding information on the websites I have heard absolutely nothing about the five Tier III junior teams in the media at all. This area is a hockey hot bed but if like I said doesn't involve the Bruins forget about it. I live about 4 miles from where the Bay State Breakers play some of their games and don't hear anything. My brother in law lives in Foxboro which has the South Shore Kings and next to Walpole (which he grew up in) which has the Walpole Express and was shocked when I told him there was junior hockey programs in both towns

The main local radio station (WATD) that follows sports on the south shore (the area between Boston and Cape Cod) only gives coverage (scores and broadcasting) to high schools and carries UMass-Amherst football games. I think I am going to send the sports department an email an see if they can at least report some scores and maybe get in touch with some of the teams about advertising.

The Brockton team got hurt by the economy about 5 years ago and almost folded until they went to a summer collegiate league from an independent league. Bill Buckner was the manager for a season or two and comedian Bill Murray was an owner when it was independent. He even coached first base for a few innings at a game I went to several years ago (which was awesome as we sat in the second row behind first base). But he was running it for the love of the game and the team defeaulted on rent payments; so it was reorganized as a wood bat summer college league team.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
DT,

The tier III junior teams make their money by charging "tuition" so unlike other programs don't need to rely on ticket sales to survive. Both my younger boys played junior hockey and there's no motivation to increase local ticket sales since the players are paying. Even the local college teams that aren't D I don't have a big following.

But you are right the Bruins are kings around here. LOL

It'll be interesting to see what ends up playing out of the DCU center in Worcester now that the Sharks are gone. I read an report somewhere that said it was a possible spot for a ECHL franchise with some connection to the Bruins.

F1

DTalbot

Jun 28, 2015
Greater Boston
The Bruins being involved with the ECHL team would be the only way I see that Worcester would get in the league. The other possibility I see would be how fast Hartford gets moving on replacing the XL Center (it will always be the Hartford Civic Center to me). If it happens in the next two years the Wolfpack could be stuck for a home as they were rumored to be moving to Bridgeport once the renovations are done at the Nassau County Coliseum with the Islanders moving their AHL affiliate to Uniondale. (They need someone else to honor the lease in Bridgeport which I think runs until somewhere between 2019 to 2021). The other possibilities for the Rangers would be either Glens Falls Civic Center or First Arena in Elmira which both have much smaller capacities than the DCU Center. Utica would also have about the same capacity as the Canucks are definitely interest in moving their AHL affiliate out west as they took Utica in a pinch when they could not get in to a location near Vancouver when they bought the AHL rights to what was the Peoria Rivermen.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
The Bruins being involved with the ECHL team would be the only way I see that Worcester would get in the league. The other possibility I see would be how fast Hartford gets moving on replacing the XL Center (it will always be the Hartford Civic Center to me). If it happens in the next two years the Wolfpack could be stuck for a home as they were rumored to be moving to Bridgeport once the renovations are done at the Nassau County Coliseum with the Islanders moving their AHL affiliate to Uniondale. (They need someone else to honor the lease in Bridgeport which I think runs until somewhere between 2019 to 2021). The other possibilities for the Rangers would be either Glens Falls Civic Center or First Arena in Elmira which both have much smaller capacities than the DCU Center. Utica would also have about the same capacity as the Canucks are definitely interest in moving their AHL affiliate out west as they took Utica in a pinch when they could not get in to a location near Vancouver when they bought the AHL rights to what was the Peoria Rivermen.

What???

The Rangers...or any AHL team in Elmira?

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Didn't think Elmira was likely but if they lose their building on short notice, you never know.

This is true but I don't believe Elmira is on the AHL radar for any NHL team.

Depending on reports, there is discussion that the NC will never have hockey again but who knows.

Artie Fufkin

Jan 11, 2014
Elmira is not getting an AHL team for a couple of reasons. One, the arena is inadequate to host a team. It has nothing to do with the number of seats in the building. The locker rooms would have to be expanded and renovated. Training facilities, including a weight room would have to be built and everything from the lights to the Zambonis would have to be upgraded or replaced. It's a couple million dollars that no one is going to spend. Second, and more important, as long as Binghamton is in the AHL, they will never allow anyone to put an AHL franchise in Elmira. Binghamton considers most of that area their territory.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
More rumors, Berkshire team leaving western mass and moving to western conference while two franchises owned by Bruce Bennett might be staffed by either the 'old' whalers roster or both could be staffed in part by a dispersal draft. The show continues.

Last edited:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Elmira is not getting an AHL team for a couple of reasons. One, the arena is inadequate to host a team. It has nothing to do with the number of seats in the building. The locker rooms would have to be expanded and renovated. Training facilities, including a weight room would have to be built and everything from the lights to the Zambonis would have to be upgraded or replaced. It's a couple million dollars that no one is going to spend. Second, and more important, as long as Binghamton is in the AHL, they will never allow anyone to put an AHL franchise in Elmira. Binghamton considers most of that area their territory.

Yet nobody from here really goes to their games like they don't come here. This isn't the NFL where you're actually gunna hurt their financials by having a team in hour away. Games aren't on the tube or anything. Its unfortunate. They have more AHL franchises near by than the ECHL by far. It'd make too much sense. Granted neither league is exactly great these days.

DTalbot

Jun 28, 2015
Greater Boston
The Brewster name change is no surprise to me as that is the name of the junior level team in town for the past ten years. Danbury Whalers would be the obvious choice but I am thinking Connecticut Whalers of Western Connecticut Whalers may end up being the name for the Danbury team as they may want to broaden their audience or could the "Stateline Whalers" name only be making a brief retirement. Or could they really bring out a name with a honored history in town... the Danbury Mad Hatters!!:badidea: or wait for it the Danbury Trashers:thumbd:

The off season has been more entertaining than the regular season.:popcorn:

Knowing the way this league is going the Akwesasne Warriors could be making a come back or have the Watertown Wolves play at a baseball stadium outdoors for the season (a la the 2012-13 Williamsport Outlaws). Do you think the league still has the outdoor ice making equipment or would they re-introduce natural ice to the game and play on a pond somewhere in upstate New York?

Worcester is looking for a team to replace their departed AHL team...trust me no one will notice the difference in the level of play...really!

Yes, I am being sarcastic, but this league has always thought outside the box and I am just offering a few alternatives.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
Quote by Bruce Bennett said that they plan on " listening to the fans ". For a name for the new team. Comment was in a press notice on the federal hockey website

Danbury102

Mar 6, 2008
That quote is from before the team had a name. They had a vote to name the team and Titans won. The other two choices were Dragons and Raptors. I suspect they picked those other two awful choices so that Titans would win, because Mr. Bennett is a Nissan dealer and - surprise - the Nissan Titan is one of their models.

Additionally the Whalers name has burned so many bridges and generated so much ill-will around the Danbury area that I do not think many of the fans or sponsors who have left over the last few years would be able to see past it. A new name is a fresh start.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
That quote is from before the team had a name. They had a vote to name the team and Titans won. The other two choices were Dragons and Raptors. I suspect they picked those other two awful choices so that Titans would win, because Mr. Bennett is a Nissan dealer and - surprise - the Nissan Titan is one of their models.

Additionally the Whalers name has burned so many bridges and generated so much ill-will around the Danbury area that I do not think many of the fans or sponsors who have left over the last few years would be able to see past it. A new name is a fresh start.

Agreed. Makes most sense to start fresh with the new owner picking his own name. Those Danbury Whalers jerseys will be missed though.........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad