FHL to Brewster, NY

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Well, this certainly makes it easier for me to attend. Although I don't live all that far away from Danbury as the crow flies, it would literally take me close to an hour to fight my way across I-84 during rush hour to get to the Danbury Ice Arena. Traffic is one of the reasons I pretty much stopped going to Danbury.

But the arena in Brewster is pretty much out of the way. My son's high school team was pretty much the first team to play there when it first opened and it was only one rink down a dirt road. The arena complex has grown enormously and there is a thriving youth and high school scene. The arena is not hard to get to from I-684.

But it is out of the way. The Danbury Ice Arena was in the heart of a small city. The arena in Brewster is in a suburban area away from the center of Brewster, a mid-size town. I have my doubts that fans from Danbury, who were the heart of the Trashers/Mad Hatters/Whalers fan base, will go there.

I hope I am wrong.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
As per our local paper, initially only 850 but ownership will seek to increase capacity. Danbury averaged 1500-1800 per game. Knowing the area well, the more I think on this, the less optimistic I am.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
But the arena in Brewster is pretty much out of the way. My son's high school team was pretty much the first team to play there when it first opened and it was only one rink down a dirt road. The arena complex has grown enormously and there is a thriving youth and high school scene. The arena is not hard to get to from I-684.

Not pretty much, it is out of the way. It's on a back road that is unlined and pitch black at night. There are generally eight-foot high snowbanks on either side of the road in the middle of the winter, and there's limited parking at the rink.

The ice is terrible, and the boards are worse. So for the FHL, this is a great facility!

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Name suggestion: The Brewster Roosters!

The more I think on this, the more pessimistic I am. Yes, I know the road and the area. Can't see them drawing more than a few hundred per game and that is not sustainable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad