FHL Free Agent Camp, What to expect

Patrickroyfan

Jul 29, 2014
Aloha,
I am attending the Dayton Demonz Free Agent Camp in October I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on what to expect at the FHL camps. I am a goaltender so It will be a bit different for me but I would like to hear from anyone with experience in this area.

-Randy

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Aloha,
I am attending the Dayton Demonz Free Agent Camp in October I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on what to expect at the FHL camps. I am a goaltender so It will be a bit different for me but I would like to hear from anyone with experience in this area.

-Randy

Where did you play before this?

If you don't know what a tryout camp is like...

Patrickroyfan

Jul 29, 2014
Where did you play before this?

If you don't know what a tryout camp is like...

Thats always the dreaded question isn't it!? Seems as if its always the first one asked too. Alas I'll give it a shot.

I'll be honest I don't have a stacked Ice Hockey resume but I hope to be the diamond in the rough. Experience wise in general? I played 4 years Varsity Ice Hockey in the DSHA, Then fulfilled my life long dream to serve in the US military. I served 6 years in the Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC) testing myself emotionally and physically on a daily basis. All the while I played for a Canadian Air Force tournament team, playing a few tourneys a year and Div I Mens League in the Pacific Northwest to stay sharp. The tournaments usually consisted of high caliber players (x-NHL, x-Air Force Academy, etc.) but again it was a tournament and not a league, but I've always been able to hold my own.

I have fulfilled my contract with the Air Force and now am getting back on my horse for competitive hockey.

Since I have been interested in returning to competitive play again I've looked at my options and it seems that going to Free Agent camps is the only real option for a 25 year old. I believe I have a few years (2 maybe 1) left of NCAA eligibility. I finished my degree while in the military in 2 years so I am unsure if that counts and also unsure if going back to school to play college hockey is even an option. The dream is still alive and well and I know I can hack it but playing mens leagues isn't going to cut it, so I needed a motivator. Thats where signing up for the camps came in. I needed a goal to shoot for. I believe that having this free agent camp tryout will give me a good base of where I am at and where pro hockey is at currently.

Currently I live in Hawaii (needed to decompress after military service and live in the sun!) and as you can probably assume there isn't much competitive Ice Hockey here. I play men's league here and there are actually some very skilled players who are in the military stationed here (5 -10 maybe). Most played Jr.A and a few ECHL. I've also been playing a lot of Inline here using RollerFly to help my game. The inline skill level here is top notch. Some pro players here and x-pro that play in the league.

Obviously I cannot give up the dream and I want to play hockey at a competitive level and more than once a week for beers after. At 25 I want to play hockey, have practices, work on my weaknesses, and be challenged on a daily basis. Currently since I've signed up for the camp I've ramped up my training to include more explosive type training. I.E. Heavy back squats 3x week, coupled with Cleans, Deads, or Bench. On top of my recreational stuff, Triathlons, CrossFit, My personal training side business, I've been working hand eye stuff and drilling at open ice times to rid of bad habits and clean the cobwebs.

Either way I am positive all of this is still not impressive enough for someone to say "You'll be fine at Free Agent Camp" but I am going into this camp 100% with my mind focused on getting a contract. I hope my work ethic and passion will get me through the sticking spots.

NOW that thats out... I really just want to know how the camps are run and what to expect. It is a 2 day Free Agent Camp so I assume there will be lots of skating and taking lots of shots? For sure a few scrimmages, but aside from that can anyone give me a run down? What was your experiences like and any tips. Like previously stated I am going into the camp with the mindset of getting a contract, but secondly I am going to make connections and get my name out there. Put a face to the name and show that I am serious about playing Hockey.

Thank you for taking time to read and I hope to hear from you all

-Randy

Patrickroyfan

Jul 29, 2014
According to this video, You should buy lot of beer. :D
VIDEO

Anyway, good luck to you.

LOL, I remember seeing this back when. Didn't put two and two together that this was the FHL. From what I read these two gents got reprimanded pretty hard. Thanks for this! and also Thank you for the kind words of encouragement!!!

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
If you actually want an unbeatable edge in camp, find a way to make money for the team.

spitshockey81

Jan 27, 2013
If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't go the fhl route. I'd probably try to go play somewhere like the North Peace Hockey League for a few years, it's not pro but you're going to see some good talent there,then take a crack at the SPHL or the Central League. Or play senior in Ontario or the Great Lakes. Yeah you'll be an old rookie, but say you spend 3-4 years there polishing yourself you could still have 10 years in you.

Patrickroyfan

Jul 29, 2014
If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't go the fhl route. I'd probably try to go play somewhere like the North Peace Hockey League for a few years, it's not pro but you're going to see some good talent there,then take a crack at the SPHL or the Central League. Or play senior in Ontario or the Great Lakes. Yeah you'll be an old rookie, but say you spend 3-4 years there polishing yourself you could still have 10 years in you.

Thank you for your input. This is an interesting route I've never actually heard of some of these leagues. Ill be checking them out. anymore info you have would be wonderful

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Thank you for your input. This is an interesting route I've never actually heard of some of these leagues. Ill be checking them out. anymore info you have would be wonderful

You totally glossed over my advice..

If you think your ability to stop pucks will impress them more than your ability to help them lose less money ... then you do not understand the FHL.

Pretend you have a wealthy relative who said they'd be your personal player sponsor for five grand, so long as you get to make the roster and get in a few games..

Offer to buy five season tickets for every game you start..

In all seriousness, think of something creative to hand the team some bucks.. that's how you'll stand out...

spitshockey81

Jan 27, 2013
The reason I mention north peace or the Great Lakes hockey league is because you'll play against good players there and with more stable clubs than the FHL. Some guys are former minor pro, major junior or D1. You could maybe settle down in one town for a few years instead of bouncing around the FHL.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
The reason I mention north peace or the Great Lakes hockey league is because you'll play against good players there and with more stable clubs than the FHL. Some guys are former minor pro, major junior or D1. You could maybe settle down in one town for a few years instead of bouncing around the FHL.

Chinook Hockey League and Allan Cup Hockey League are the 2 best in Canada for senior hockey. There is literally hundreds of senior leagues across Canada that former minor pro and ex college players play. If you don't make the FHL, play in a senior league, and there will be teamates with contacts still in hockey that could maybe help you out.

Patrickroyfan

Jul 29, 2014
Chinook Hockey League and Allan Cup Hockey League are the 2 best in Canada for senior hockey. There is literally hundreds of senior leagues across Canada that former minor pro and ex college players play. If you don't make the FHL, play in a senior league, and there will be teamates with contacts still in hockey that could maybe help you out.

This is awesome stuff, thanks again everyone for the input. Do all these leagues allow American born citizens just to show up and sign up? Do they hold camps there too?

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
This is awesome stuff, thanks again everyone for the input. Do all these leagues allow American born citizens just to show up and sign up? Do they hold camps there too?

In Canada senior leagues, each league sets their own import rules. Some have 3 imports, some have 6 imports, and some have 8 imports. The 2 leagues I mentioned above are classified as 'AAA Senior' so they have unlimited imports. Those leagues I would compare to a Central Hockey League or SPHL in caliber.

As for the other leagues, most do have try outs. As an import, as long as the team pays for your transfer cost from Hockey USA, you can play in Canada senior leagues. You would need a work VISA is the only downside.

Last edited:

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Because you are a US citizen, a US senior league may work out best if the FHL tryout doesn't pan out. Since you would need a VISA to play in Canada. As mentioned before the Great Lake Hockey League in Michigan or the Mountain West Hockey League in the western states may be the best options to start with.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
???, thank you for your service

Randy,

First of all, thank you for your service. Enjoy your "island time" Mon. lol

I attended (as a spectator) the Fed League free agent camp in July in Danbury CT. There were 13 goalies and about 32 skaters. Some of the skaters (3-4) were players from the Danbury franchise who I suspect were there as a yardstick for the evaluators to measure the performance of the unknowns who were at the tryout camp.

Be aware that before this camp in July the league held a draft of unprotected players to provide experienced players for the new franchises in Watertown NY and SW PA. Subsequently they held a college draft for the league. You can probably find links to those and even the results earlier in the post titled " FHL the circus sideshow continues".

Just before the tryout camp in July the league announced that it was in partnership with Berlin NH arena for another expansion franchise there. Again links to the info about that can be found in the post I mentioned.

As for the tryout and what to expect let me say the speed and intensity of the tryout games was below what I expected. I think in part because there were locker room bonds forged and players didn't realize that they were competing with everyone for a potential spot or invite to the main camp. When I asked a league official my assessment was confirmed and I was told that the speed and intensity of league games is much higher.

Since you are a goalie I will go over my view and opinion of what transpired. First day there was a goalie only session where the 13 goalies were put through a series of drills to test their athleticism, positional play and mechanic's. After that session I had my top 4 goalies identified. The next 3 days consisted of a series of games morning and afternoon with the Saturday evening session billed as an "All Star Game" for which they changed admission.

Saturday's AM session was "cut down" time and they cut the goalies down from 13-8.

After Sunday's game they drafted/assigned players and goalies to respective teams. To be honest, 3 of the top four goalies I selected were assigned to various teams.

I believe they only took four goalies.

What I know about the goalies selected. The top ranked goalie was a major junior recruit (who declined the offer) and played Junior A for 3 yrs. before being recruited in college. The second ranked goalie was a Canadian player who had previously played 3 yrs. of Junior A in Canada (not major junior) the third ranked goalie played for a while in the USHL and then went to a college that dropped it's D-I program in favor of club hockey. I believe he played 3/4 yrs. of club.

The goalie I had ranked fourth had played professionally in Europe (one of the Scandinavian countries just can't remember which one) at the Division 2/3 level or so I was told. They DIDN'T take him either.

The goalie they took as the fourth one I really don't know much about him as I thought the those I had ranked as top four were clearly enough better than the rest.

But for your un asked question, I can say that two things stood out. One, the goalie I had ranked fourth, in the last couple of games, allowed a couple of 'soft goals'. That and he was undersized (compared to those they took) He was 5'8" while the ones they took went, 6'4", 6'4", 6'5" and 6'1". Not sure what if anything that means in terms of their decision but the difference was pretty clear.

Lastly, I can't say for sure which goalies went where. Though the goalie I ranked first was assigned to the new Berlin NH franchise. The goalie I had ranked 3rd went to Danbury and one of the others went to SW PA franchise. I think the goalie I had ranked #2 went to one of the western most franchises though I don't know for sure.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited:

BigFrank

Oct 7, 2014
Goalie-Phenom

Have been amazed by a very large but agile goalie at Danbury Rookie Camp this week. All I know is his last name, WRIGHT and he wears a all white helmet. But I heard one of the players call him something different. The first day he looked heads and tails above the rest of the goalies. He did however get scored on twice during the scrimmage. One on a breakaway he should have had and the 2nd goal was actually kicked in by his D-man trying to clear the crease. He bounced right back though and stonewalled the rest of the game.
The 2nd day he still looked to be the strongest and most professional looking and moving goalie or for that matter most of the players. He carries himself like he has played at the higher pro level for a few years but I asked one of the guys and they said he is only 18. Not buying that but will find out. Looks to be about 24 or so. Wonder if he played in Europe or D1 College. So today during the scrimmage he posts a shutout while the other goalies let in 8 goals.
Not sure where he came from or got his experience but he should be in a AHL or at least a ECHL camp. If they do not sign this kid they are blind or just do not want to win. Maybe they keep him or he is just waiting for ECHL camp to start. He should be headed up the road to Bridgewater and not here but if he is here he will certainly be a popular guy with his team and the fans.
Won't be able to make it tomorrow unless I can get a long lunch meeting in...anyone know who this goalie is? He is a big goalie but not fat at all. Just looks huge in net and when he stands up. I played goalie in street hockey so I tend to watch the goalies more. Anyone else get to any of the other FHL teams camps? Is it the Randy guy that posted on here that was in the military?

BigFrank

Oct 7, 2014
Falcone do you know who the goalie is in camp for Danbury that is killing it? Looks to be tall like you mentioned. Plays and carries himself like a experienced pro so wondering if this goalie, last name is all I know, WRIGHT, is one of the ones that was moved during the draft they did? The players called him something else and when i asked one of the guys about him they said he was only 18. No way as this guy has a full beard and is big like fit big not dunking donut big. Look like he played pro in Europe or D1 school.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
what i've heard

BF,

If u r referring to the goalie with the REEBOK pads white with black spider graphic design. He is 18. He played in the SIJHL last year. He doesn't appear to be as big as a couple of other goalies there who are 6'5" and 6'4" respectively.

As for your assessment of his play, I'd respectfully have to disagree. By a lot. I'd rank him around fourth.

But you may know more about goaltending than I do.

If you'd care to rate him on various aspects of the position I'd be happy to discuss my assessment.

F1

BigFrank

Oct 7, 2014
F1, I think that is the one I was talking about. I am by no means a goalie guy. I was just very impressed and still find it hard to believe he is only 18. As for his size I meant he is big in net and solid from a shooters look. You must be a goalie guy since you recognize goalies from their gear. As for a discussion on ranking goalies....not my area at all. That is why I ask the more informed about what they see and hear. Ready for the season to start!

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
comparison

BF,

From what I've heard he was " over " playing Jr hockey so he thought he'd give 'this' a try. If you saw this AM game you could contrast the way he played vs the play of the goalie who replaced him. He's big AND big in net. He's athletic for 6'4" and he's got solid mechanics and positional play.

He ( second goalie for white) was a difference maker this AM. That score could have been double digits for green.

All of the rookie camp goalies are playing for an invite to main camp and a shot and beating out Hoy for the backup spot.

Hoy is athletic and has decent positioning but his mechanics need work. Plus he's a ' nervous nelly ' in the crease. He needs to be more calm physically.

But that's just my opinion and opinions are like the anatomical part we all sit on, everyone has one lol.

Hope the 18 yr old puts his ego away and goes back to Jr. for a couple of years. He'd do well to find a good goalie coach to work on his mechanics and positional stuff too.

F1

BigFrank

Oct 7, 2014
Good insight. As for getting a spot on the main camp, that is a far reach for any of them since it is easier to keep a job than to be the replacement. Either way still shocked of his age and ability but if you were there you will have had a chance to compare them all. Can any of them replace the returning goalies?

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
maybe

BF,

A lot depends on factors I have little knowledge of. The salary cap and what dollars are being paid to returning players. Also, does Espo plan on looking to replace Brown a year from now?

I've heard that Hoy started last season as the fourth goalie so he clearly is a competitor. What I've seen in practice is ok. But it's practice. Real battles will begin in main camp.

There are two who might give Espo a reason to replace Hoy but I've only seen Hoy in a couple of practice sessions, so its hard to judge.

So for any of these goalies to have a shot at making the opening day roster it all depends on how many goalies Espo takes to main camp. More importantly, as you said it's easier to keep the spot than it is to replace someone.

F1

Last edited:

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
more than I thought

Frank,

He took three. So there will be 5 goalies this weekend. I've heard he plans to cut down to a final roster on Sunday. Games start on the 17th so there's not much time for him to put systems in place. Like really none.

He took the kid you were talking about and two others.

Of the other two one was a returning goalie from last year who made it to the main camp before being released and the other was a Mass kid who played Jr. A and was a college recruit but decided to give pro hockey a try.

They are going to compete for the third goalie spot which I've heard isn't really rostered (read not a paid spot) so it may affect who ends up as the third goalie as the one who earns the spot may not want to be an "almost pro" player.

But hey stranger things have happened.

F1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad