Few bad apples ruin the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb**

Building the NHL around your stable markets and your strong areas's is what they should be doing. Not trying to create a niche for 5 or 6 markets that do not have the demand for the NHL and probably never will. Why drag down the whole league to save franchise's who have no business being in the league. With or without a cap thess teams will still likely not draw or make money. Free agents will still flock to bigger markets because there are more opportunities to make money. This is not a knock on those cities(we know who they are) hockey will not be prosperous IMO in these cities. you will have the bandwagon fans when the team is doing ok and after that, a big drop off, see Carolina.

mooseOAK*

The NHLPA could have blocked expansion just like they blocked rule changes that could have improved the game. But no, they approved expansion because they saw their job opportunities and pay increasing.

So if there are smaller markets that can't keep up with the biggest ones and want a lower cap then the NHLPA is partly responsible for those teams being around. But again, they want the benefits and don't want consequences for their own actions.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
mooseOAK said:
The NHLPA could have blocked expansion just like they blocked rule changes that could have improved the game. But no, they approved expansion because they saw their job opportunities and pay increasing.

So if there are smaller markets that can't keep up with the biggest ones and want a lower cap then the NHLPA is partly responsible for those teams being around. But again, they want the benefits and don't want consequences for their own actions.

I'd love to hear someone ask Goodenow point blank: "Would you accept a deal at a $49 million even cap if it meant that 6 teams and 20%, about 150 players of the NHPLA membership would become unemployed?"

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
arnie said:
I'd love to hear someone ask Goodenow point blank: "Would you accept a deal at a $49 million even cap if it meant that 6 teams and 20%, about 150 players of the NHPLA membership would become unemployed?"

Why would a $49 million cap cause the extiction of 6 teams ???

blamebettman*

I'd call there bluff. A few teams might cave, but I don't think they'll be Edmonton, Buffalo, or Calgary. we won't lose anybody that's worth keeping.

I don't think the NHLPA could've blocked expansion, they could've tried but it would've been pretty futile. Same with rule changes, the only thing they blocked was decreasing the goalie pads because they were worried about netminderss getting hurt, fair enough, they can come to a compromise there. All the other rule changes passed. I wish the NHLPA would've stepped in and blocked silly things like moving the nets out....

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
blamebettman said:
I'd call there bluff. A few teams might cave, but I don't think they'll be Edmonton, Buffalo, or Calgary. we won't lose anybody that's worth keeping.

I don't see how those two groups are mutually exclusive.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
blamebettman said:

I don't think they'll lose these franchises per se, but there's little doubt they will move. Calgary shouldn't really be included in these conversations imo, their owners are on a higher level than say Edmonton's and they enjoy more corporate support (the difference between Calgary and Edmonton's corporate involvement is pretty large imo and getting larger).

Buffalo I don't know about, but imo the Oilers could certainly be in Portland by the end of the decade. And in a way, that would certainly make for a healthier NHL.

blamebettman*

I don't think there are many more places to put an NHL franchise. imho, Portland isn't really viable. Seattle might be ok but they're too close to Vancouver. It was a reach just to expand into Nashville and Atlanta again.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
arnie said:

The question should be:

In order to accept your offer at $49M, we will have to buy back 6 teams that do not want to have any part in it. Our cost to buy those 6 teams just to accept your deal is $480M ($80M/team on average). If you are willing to pay the $480M we will accept your offer. We are willing to differ that cost during 5 years, at $150M/year. The NHLPA could tax the salaries for this payback, it would come down to about $275k/player each year.

I'm sure the union would agree to that. :D

ResidentAlien*

mooseOAK said:

That's like saying my boss wants to open a second store, I don't stop him because he promise more revenues and more jobs for my firends. He's the boss, has the money and is supposed to be educated in these areas..what do I know..I build the products he sells. Then, the new store fails and he has to shut both stores down,so I lose my job because of his "vision"

How is that my fault?
I've heard that arguement before and I just don't buy it.
I think both sides are outta touch with reality, why cant they as smart as us? :dunno:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
NOW the NHLPA is really being blamed for expansion as well? Can the NHL do no wrong? We ALL know the reason for expansion is so the owners could get that expansion franchise fee money. You may not like the NHLPA's stance in the lockout but come on now, we all know the real reason for expansion.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
ResidentAlien said:
That's like saying my boss wants to open a second store, I don't stop him because he promise more revenues and more jobs for my firends. He's the boss, has the money and is supposed to be educated in these areas..what do I know..I build the products he sells. Then, the new store fails and he has to shut both stores down,so I lose my job because of his "vision"

How is that my fault?
I've heard that arguement before and I just don't buy it.
I think both sides are outta touch with reality, why cant they as smart as us? :dunno:

Well, market tells a tale. I think this is what this whole mess is about. You tell me why a house in Vancouver, BC, Canada is worth $500,000, and the same house in Nova Scotia is only $100,000? The boys can't afree on market!!! :teach:

ResidentAlien*

Mighty Duck said:
Well, market tells a tale. I think this is what this whole mess is about. You tell me why a house in Vancouver, BC, Canada is worth $500,000, and the same house in Nova Scotia is only $100,000? The boys can't afree on market!!! :teach:

Is that rhetorical?

mooseOAK*

ResidentAlien said:

How is that my fault?
Wherever the fault lies, it happened and you have to live with the consequences of your actions.

Never have I seen the NHLPA say that they wanted those expansion teams to be gone but at the same time they don't seem to want to live in the same world that they do.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think most of the expansion teams will work out. I've been to games in Florida and I know that area well, same with Phoenix, San Jose, Atlanta and Nashville. Those teams are going to do well. They have hardcore fans and in the case of Florida, Phoenix and San Jose, many transplants from Canada and the Northeast and Midwest.

The cities in the south and the soutwest are growing at rapid paces. There's more to this than just whether they have a bunch of hockey fans there now. The NHL is getting in on the ground floor of these young cities. In the case of the south, that's football country and they are trying to entice the fans with the physicality of the game. I think that will eventually work myself. The problem right now is that people don't identify with it, but that takes time.

I think it will prove to be a good move.

I've been to North Carolina as well and have seen Hurricanes games. I think that might be a bit of a stretch, unless they build an arena in Raleigh itself. I think they were hoping people in South Carolina would also embrace the team - which shows a certain amount of ignorance. That area of the country is very divided. No way you'll see someone from SCarolina rooting for a NCarolina team.

I don't think this is about just the new markets, it's also about teams in Canada. Most of the teams in the NHL are and were small or medium market teams. This is not a major league sport. The megarich teams in the league are able to leverage their finances because they are owned by huge corporations (in Toronto's case a huge pension fund as well).

I think it's more a matter of bringing those teams back to a fair level of competition than it is about keeping the lower level teams in it. It's the irresponsibility of the megarich teams that has ruined the NHL, not just the current "greed" of the players.

ResidentAlien*

they should just let the teams that want to ( or apparently afford) to play this year do it, F the rest of em.
Let teams like Toronto, Vancouver, Detroit and Philadelphia AVs, and who else wants to compete this year do it..F the rest of em...ya..so maybe I sound bitter,

Hell hath no fury as a hockey fan scorned :madfire:

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
raketheleaves said:
I think most of the expansion teams will work out. I've been to games in Florida and I know that area well, same with Phoenix, San Jose, Atlanta and Nashville. Those teams are going to do well. They have hardcore fans and in the case of Florida, Phoenix and San Jose, many transplants from Canada and the Northeast and Midwest.

The cities in the south and the soutwest are growing at rapid paces. There's more to this than just whether they have a bunch of hockey fans there now. The NHL is getting in on the ground floor of these young cities. In the case of the south, that's football country and they are trying to entice the fans with the physicality of the game. I think that will eventually work myself. The problem right now is that people don't identify with it, but that takes time.

I think it will prove to be a good move.

I've been to North Carolina as well and have seen Hurricanes games. I think that might be a bit of a stretch, unless they build an arena in Raleigh itself. I think they were hoping people in South Carolina would also embrace the team - which shows a certain amount of ignorance. That area of the country is very divided. No way you'll see someone from SCarolina rooting for a NCarolina team.

I don't think this is about just the new markets, it's also about teams in Canada. Most of the teams in the NHL are and were small or medium market teams. This is not a major league sport. The megarich teams in the league are able to leverage their finances because they are owned by huge corporations (in Toronto's case a huge pension fund as well).

I think it's more a matter of bringing those teams back to a fair level of competition than it is about keeping the lower level teams in it. It's the irresponsibility of the megarich teams that has ruined the NHL, not just the current "greed" of the players.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

You need to address the other problem which is that a season ticket package for a legitimate team now contains 10-20 games against nondescript, silly teams. A team like the Capitals which used to be in the Patrick and play most of their games against the Rangers, Isles, Devils, and Flyers are now in a division with the Hurricanes, Lightning, Panthers, and Thrashers, teams with no tradition in DC and that DC fans (and fans everywhere) couldn't care less about. This alone has knocked about 2,000 fans a game from the gate, easy.

fifty_in39

Feb 19, 2004
RangerBoy said:
What do the Oilers want?

The Oilers want total capitulation of the NHLPA. For years they have been at the mercy of big markets. No more. It is arguable the balance of power now for the new NHL is in Alberta. There are more players in the NHL from the Edmonton area than any other city in the world. Between Edmonton and Calgary there are more paying customers than anywhere else in the NHL(Don't point out Ottawa/Toronto, Ottawa just came out of bankruptcy). Right now Edmonton/Calgary are driving this bus and are out to crush the Union and finally impose their will on the rest of the league.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
fifty_in39 said:
The Oilers want total capitulation of the NHLPA. For years they have been at the mercy of big markets. No more. It is arguable the balance of power now for the new NHL is in Alberta. There are more players in the NHL from the Edmonton area than any other city in the world. Between Edmonton and Calgary there are more paying customers than anywhere else in the NHL(Don't point out Ottawa/Toronto, Ottawa just came out of bankruptcy). Right now Edmonton/Calgary are driving this bus and are out to crush the Union and finally impose their will on the rest of the league.

lol Powerful combo? Yes, the Alberta bloc has a good deal of pull right now, but they aren't driving then NHL Bus.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
I don't know about the driving the bus, but the small markets have a gun at the head of the big boys. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA, stupid owners who gave Bettman that 8 team thingy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->