OT: Fertilizer Plant Explosion in Texas

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
What a brutal, week so far.
Rumor has deaths at over 70 people right now.
#prayfortexas

BIGUMczCAAA2_lY.jpg:large
BIGUbldCUAA5UjF.jpg:large

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I saw that vid a little while ago. Just insane. I felt so bad for that little kid in the vid. An emotional scar that will last a lifetime.

Not that it really matters to me, but i think the original upload for the vid is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ROrpKx3aIjA (way more views)

Yeah, the poor kid in that video...Dad should have kept driving rather than stopping and rolling tape.

Best thoughts and wishes to Waco right now...jeez, what a week.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Some more info I came across on the net.

The town of West, near Waco, has been evacuated amid fears of poison fumes spewing from the plant. Officials say between 50 and 70 homes have been damaged, along with a large apartment building. A nursing home with over 100 residents is believed to have collapsed.

US media are reporting two emergency service workers, called to a blaze at the plant before the explosion, are dead and others are unaccounted for. Officials have confirmed fatalities, but not the toll.

Ammonia-filled gas clouds are preventing people getting within 5km of the blast and making search and rescue efforts difficult.

The explosion was so big that it registered on state earthquake recorders as magnitude 2.1 seismic event.

CNN reported that hospitals had been told to expect "somewhere in the neighbourhood" of 100 people injured. A field triage centre had been set up.

Hospitals in the area have had "a steady flow" of people being admitted with orthopaedic injures and major blood loss.

Glenn A Robinson, the chief executive of Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center in Waco, told CNN that his hospital had received 66 injured people for treatment, including 38 who were seriously hurt.

He said the injuries included blast injuries, orthopedic injuries, large wounds and a lot of cuts. The hospital has set up a hotline for families of the victims to get information, he said.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Heartbreaking.

Rough couple of days for the United States :(

Jeez, I wonder if the Canucks felt it, they're in Dallas.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
There is a video on CNN of a bystander (I think he was in his car) at a nearby gas station just video taping the streets.

All you can hear is sirens and all you can see is flashing lights. 1 by the 1 every fire truck/ambulance/police car, passes him. Terrifying.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
What a great idea Texas. Place a city around what essentially was a TNT factory. That's bound to turn out well. :facepalm:

They're saying the explosion was so intense that the seismographs in the area went off recording a 2.1 earthquake.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
URGENT: 6 firefighters, 2 EMS workers, one police officer confirmed dead after #WestTX explosion - West EMS Director http://on.rt.com/a10r5x.

Remember the fire started BEFORE, so the firefighters came to take out of the fire, and then the plant blew up AFTER they reached there and started soaking it.

That's why so many deaths + injuries came to medical and fighters personnel.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
The pictures in a couple hours when the sun comes up are going to be insane. It's going to look like an American Chernobyl.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Hasn't been said here yet so I guess I have to be the guy with the tin foil hat...

Has there been any official word yet on this just being an accident? Could it have been purposley done? Any possible connection to Boston?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If you don't want to discuss this topic, don't post in the thread.

This is also not a thread to discuss Global politics and the differences between tragedies close to home vs. those that take place across the globe.

This is a thread about the unfolding tragedy in Waco.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad