ferraro,sheahan and almqvist

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
We'll see how his ability translates to the NHL. I don't think he's anymore a PP QB than Kronwall was at the same age. Same goes for Kindl, though Kindl spent most of his age-23 season in Detroit with little-to-no opportunities. And while Smith was more of a triggerman on the PP for most of his development, he too has QB'd his fair share, and done it well. They all.... kinda did it :)

I have to be honest and say I didn't watch Kronwall, Smith, or Kindl before they became Red Wings. Living in the South pretty much precludes you from watching the Griffins... unless you know people. ;)

This year is the first I've been able to actually watch the Griffins, so I don't know how Billins stacks up to those guys when they broke in.

Nothing about that makes me angry, and I see how he's a similar type of defenseman, but I think he has a looooooooong way to go to be Brian Rafalski.

Well he'll never be Rafalski because he's not a RH shot. ;) Seriously, even 3/4 of a Rafalski in his prime would be dynamite. Undrafted, from Michigan, and even says he patterns his game after him -- I don't really know who else to compare him to.

And you'd be surprised... or not, really, at how angry people get when you compare prospects to established "star" players.

** Here's a PROTIP for those folks: Just because you say someone's game is similar to another's does NOT mean you're saying they will be as good as that player. **

I honestly can't believe that disclaimer has to be put out there, but it seems to be necessary, unfortunately.

Hey, I'm hoping for the best, from all our prospects. If he turns into Rafalski, I'll be elated :)

Again, 3/4 of Rafalski, while being incredibly short, would still be pretty damned good, in my opinion.

Sorry, this has gone way OT. Back to Ferraro, Sheahan, and Almqvist.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
In regards to the PP, it's all about who gets it done. Smith and Kindl can QB a PP, sure. So can Almquist, so can Ouellet, so can Sproul, so can Marchenko. And Billins even if he's not technically with the organization. Smith and Kindl are still unknown commodity when it comes to an NHL PP, and you never know what happens so it's good to have options coming. Almquist is ever so slightly behind Smith's rookie AHL numbers, and way ahead of Kindl's output.

What's speaking against Almquist is that he's in the same wave as guys who are likely to be ahead of him in other areas of the game. Almquist's defensive game is similar to Toby Enstrom's, but you can't be Toby Enstrom without the skating. He needs to show that he's decidedly better at the offensive side of the puck compared to his competition to win a spot.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think unless Almqvist improves his skating he will be a career AHL player or go back to Europe. I think he will get killed on the forecheck and pinned in his zone regularly by NHL forwards, especially teams with size and speed. I think he's great in the offensive zone, I just think he won't be able to overcome his shortcomings. Especially if Babcock remains the coach.

Could be wrong, just my opinion from what I have seen from him in AHL games translating to the next level.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Ferraro deserves a legit shot at a bottom 6 role next year. He can skate, has a great release on his wrist shot and it's accurate, and he is a good PK'er. Tell me one other bottom 6 player we currently you have you could say all 3 of those things about? Used to be Patty Eaves, but he's fallen off a bit.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I think Ferraro deserves a legit shot at a bottom 6 role next year. He can skate, has a great release on his wrist shot and it's accurate, and he is a good PK'er. Tell me one other bottom 6 player we currently you have you could say all 3 of those things about? Used to be Patty Eaves, but he's fallen off a bit.

Why settle for a bottom 6er. Why not try to develop him into a goal scorer. You do that by playing in a scoring role in the AHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why settle for a bottom 6er. Why not try to develop him into a goal scorer. You do that by playing in a scoring role in the AHL.

Because our bottom 6 players aren't contributing a lot. And Franzen, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg started out in the bottom 6 and all developed into scoring line players. Oh, and Filppula too. Plus Hudler.

Come to think of it, most of our good players started as bottom 6 players for the Wings. Though Fil and Hudler did some developing in the A. Well, Fil was there only for a year I guess.

Last edited:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Because our bottom 6 players aren't contributing a lot. And Franzen, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg started out in the bottom 6 and all developed into scoring line players. Oh, and Filppula too. Plus Hudler.

With the exception of Franzen, the other four are really debatable. They may have started out in the bottom 6 in the TOI sense, but they were playing (a) with other skilled players who were either already established offensive veterans (Hull, Yzerman) or (b) with players who were projected to be offensive players (Filppula and Hudler played almost nightly together as youngsters). They weren't playing bottom 6 roles and weren't playing with typical bottom 6 "talent." Playing with Brett Hull and Boyd Devereaux as a skilled center is a lot different than playing with Kirk Maltby and Boyd Devereaux as a skilled center.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
With the exception of Franzen, the other four are really debatable. They may have started out in the bottom 6 in the TOI sense, but they were playing (a) with other skilled players who were either already established offensive veterans (Hull, Yzerman) or (b) with players who were projected to be offensive players (Filppula and Hudler played almost nightly together as youngsters). They weren't playing bottom 6 roles and weren't playing with typical bottom 6 "talent." Playing with Brett Hull and Boyd Devereaux as a skilled center is a lot different than playing with Kirk Maltby and Boyd Devereaux as a skilled center.

I understand we were deeper as a team back then, but I believe his point was you won't develop playing bottom 6 minutes. Which all of those players did do, and still developed into scoring line players.

If you want to wait until we have a stacked bottom 6 to call up Ferraro so he has good linemates like Z and Pav did, we might be waiting for awhile...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I dunno if thats completely true. The wings havent developed a tonne of scorers by keeping guys down there for a long time. A lot of other teams put young guys in at a very young age and let them grow and get used to the NHL and eventually they become scorers.

Aug 6, 2012
I dunno if thats completely true. The wings havent developed a tonne of scorers by keeping guys down there for a long time. A lot of other teams put young guys in at a very young age and let them grow and get used to the NHL and eventually they become scorers.

I think with Blashill it's a lot safer letting them develop down there. For a reasonable amount of time.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not even trying to say one route is better than the other, just trying to say that it's happened both ways for the Wings that players develop into top 6 players (starting out bottom 6 in detroit, and developing more in the A). Only reason I suggested Ferraro in Detroit is because our bottom 6 right now isn't providing a lot of offense, and could use a young guy with some speed and a shot. Plus he can PK very well, and creates short-handed opportunities. He and Helm would be an awesome pairing.

Last edited:

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone

I agree. Unless your team is stacked with talent, you should take a chance on younger players and let them grow into the league rather than stave off the eventual adjustment period until they're out of options.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm not even trying to say one route is better than the other, just trying to say that it's happened both ways for the Wings that players develop into top 6 players (starting out bottom 6 in detroit, and developing more in the A). Only reason I suggested Ferraro in Detroit is because our bottom 6 right now isn't providing a lot of offense, and could use a young guy with some speed and a shot. Plus he can PK very well, and creates short-handed opportunities. He and Helm would be an awesome pairing.

Ferraro is kind of the replaceable part for Samuelsson. When Sammy is gone after 2014, then Ferraro gets full duty. Next season will be split with Ferraro in when Sammy injured.

Just like Nyquist an Tatar are doing now.

2012/13 ----> 2013/14 ----> 2014/15
1. Zeta -----> Zeta -----> Zeta
2. Datsyuk --> Datsyuk --> Järnkrok (playmaking center, ~20 game stint at 2013-14 season when injuries hit)
3. Franzen --> Franzen --> Franzen
4. Filppula ---> Nyquist --> Nyquist (top6 forward, ~20 game stint at 2012-13 season when injuries hit)
5. Bertuzzi --> Bertuzzi --> Sheahan (big body, ~20 game stint at 2013-14 season when injuries hit)
6. Brunner --> Brunner ---> Brunner
7. Helm -----> Helm ------> Helm
8. Cleary ----> Tatar ----> Tatar (middle6 guy, ~20 game stint at 2012-13 season when injuries hit)
9. Sammy ---> Sammy ---> Ferraro (middle6 guy, ~20 game stint at 2013-14 season when injuries hit)
10. Akader ---> Akader ---> Akader
11. Miller --> Andersson --> Andersson (bottom6 PK guy, ~20 game stint at 2012-13 season when injuries hit)
12. Tootoo --> Tootoo ---> Tootoo
13. Eaves ----> Eaves ----> ?
14. Emmerton --> Emmerton --> ?

This is pretty clear player chart imo. Our organization will mold very probable this way in the near future. We maybe could need a replacement earlier for Bertuzzi, if his back is done. If Filppula won't walk at next summer Free Agency, then we have 15 forwards. Datsyuk leaves to Russia after 2014, Järnkrok jumps in full-time.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ferraro is kind of the replaceable part for Samuelsson. When Sammy is gone after 2014, then Ferraro gets full duty. Next season will be split with Ferraro in when Sammy injured.

Just like Nyquist an Tatar are doing now.

2013 ----> 2013/14 ----> 2014/15
Zeta -----> Zeta -----> Zeta
Datsyuk --> Datsyuk --> Järnkrok (playmaking center, 20 game stint at 2013-14 season when injuries hit)
Franzen --> Franzen --> Franzen
Filppula ---> Nyquist --> Nyquist (top6 forward, 20 game stint at 2012-13 season when injuries hit)
Bertuzzi --> Bertuzzi --> Sheahan (big body, 20 game stint at 2013-14 season when injuries hit)
Brunner --> Brunner ---> Brunner
Helm -----> Helm ------> Helm
Cleary ----> Tatar ----> Tatar (middle6 guy, 20 game stint at 2012-13 season when injuries hit)
Sammy ---> Sammy ---> Ferraro (middle6 guy, 20 game stint at 2013-14 season when injuries hit)
Akader ---> Akader ---> Akader
Miller --> Andersson --> Andersson (bottom6 PK guy, 20 game stint at 2012-13 season when injuries hit)
Tootoo --> Tootoo ---> Tootoo
Eaves ----> Eaves ----> ?
Emmerton --> Emmerton --> ?

This is pretty clear player chart imo. Our organization will mold very probable this way in the near future. We maybe could need a replacement earlier for Bertuzzi, if his back is done. If Filppula won't walk at next summer Free Agency, then we have 15 forwards. Datsyuk leaves to Russia after 2014, Järnkrok jumps in full-time.

Both Bert and Sammy might be done after this year. Sammy's piling up injuries this year as well, and he didn't look too great when he was healthy either. Also I hope we keep both Fil and Nyquist, assuming we can get Fil for a decent price.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Both Bert and Sammy might be done after this year. Sammy's piling up injuries this year as well, and he didn't look too great when he was healthy either. Also I hope we keep both Fil and Nyquist, assuming we can get Fil for a decent price.

Isn't Sammy out with a broken finger. Doesn't sound like a career ending injury. I think the only way he isn't on this team is if he's bought out. I don't see Kenny buying him out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Isn't Sammy out with a broken finger. Doesn't sound like a career ending injury. I think the only way he isn't on this team is if he's bought out. I don't see Kenny buying him out.

It's been one thing after another with him this year though...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
1.) Not Ready
2.) Not Ready
3.) Not Ready

Depends on what you consider ready. Sheahan might not be ready for a scoring role but he could improve the wings right now. Hes better than Andersson already and Andersson has looked pretty solid while hes been up

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Depends on what you consider ready. Sheahan might not be ready for a scoring role but he could improve the wings right now. Hes better than Andersson already and Andersson has looked pretty solid while hes been up

Completely agree, Sheahan is ready. No harm in him continuing to get AHL minutes, he still can develop some down there. He does play a mature game, is ready for the NHL size wise, has the skating and ability to play virtually anywhere in the lineup.

I have no problem with him staying down there, but make no mistake he was better than Andersson in the AHL from around American Thanksgiving on, i.e. after the Halloween incident.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad