TSN: Ferraro shares something he's noticed about the Leafs bench

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
In team sports, you need some chatter. Just to reinforce what guys already know, to keep the idea of "team" in their heads, you are playing for each other, and that guy just said "let's go guys!". make sure you stick with the program.

It doesn't even need to be much, but it needs to be said from time to time. Some natural leadership and a little voice that says "I care".

Hell, even the unemotional robotic Soviet Union players of the Red Army/Moscow Dynamo would say a few words to one another, even if it was just "nyet".

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I mentioned this before, but when I was in Tampa for the game there, Matthews got rocked behind one of the nets.

No one on the benched flinched.

Thats Leaf hockey and its been that way since Burke left hasn't it? You can't do that in Philly or Boston and that playing style has endured through coach after coach on those clubs. I think well over half the games every year fit the "new NHL" style with lots of dangles and not a lot of sustained physicality and that is what this Leafs team plays most night. You work with what you have but other teams don't have to accept the style of game you are offering. They could have acquired Zack Kassian and Pat Maroon and Marcus Foligno for peanuts and added about 300 hits a year but the club has to see a need for that which they didn't. Not even pre KD.

I don't think you will see a more physical Leafs team so long as Dubas is here. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether they can win with this or not. A few years ago the Oilers were the softest team in hockey, The club was desperate for grit and character. They traded Hall for a rugged stay at home RD and signed Lucic and added Kassian and Maroon and Nurse and they were as tough as an 80s team but that mix doesn't win anymore. I would like to see a Josh Anderson or Michael Ferland type in their top 9 because they have mostly guys that play pond hockey but it might take a different type of coach to make players have that aggressive pack mentality rather than just a couple of hammers on the team. Its the mindset more than the individuals but the coach has to beleive that.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
So, you don't think the players making less than $3.0M might be jealous of thoses players making over $10.0M?

If lesser paid players see the $10.0M players dogging it, do you really think they just shrug their shoulders?

I have coached players that have complained to me that if the 1st liners take the game off, why should they bust their butts.

Animosity in hockey exists.
Sure if someone is dogging it.

But Marner isn't dogging it he's just in poor form and has even come out and said so. The opposite of dogging it.

Everyone goes through slumps.

Reactions: therealkoho

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Don't remember where exactly I heard it (sometime on TSN today), but apparently Muzzin and Rielly are the loudest guys on the team in this regard. While, I don't doubt Matthews, Marner or JT's desire to be the best NHLer they can be, but they aren't rah-rah guys. Marner is sort of a goofball, Matthews is a confident smart-ass, and Tavares is ultra-serious. We don't really have a veteran ultra serious warrior who is dying to win and still an effective player such as Gary Roberts. The other issue is, in a cap-world, a respected vet who is still a good top 6 player who brings these intangibles may be overpaid. Marleau was also an ultra-reserved quiet guy in this regard. Freddie is also pretty low-key, and unlikely to be a guy who is going to light-a-fire under the team and challenge them.

You sort of wish to find a guy who hates losing more than he loves winning. Those guys can be grating on a daily basis, but they can also get the best out of people if they are top players. People such as Michael Jordan, Mark Messier, Crosby, Howe, Maurice Richard, Roy, Hasek, Kobe Bryant, Larry Bird, were notorious in that regard (and you can find opposite examples like Gretzky, Magic Johnson, etc). Now, I know I just listed a couple of the best players in their respective sports (a level anyone on this Leafs team is unlikely to reach). But, it would be nice if there were a couple of guys on this team who showed that.

Reactions: geo25

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Ive said it since the announcement of Tavares being named captain. This was the worse thing to do to this team.

It should have been Matthews all along. Tavares is a silent leader and I believe his demeanor has trickled down through the dressing room.

To me Marner is a cancer in the room. He needs to go.

Im not sold on this entirely...
But some varying degree of this is true.

Or maybe its just somthing dumb an unrelated like someone got drunk at a party and hit on someones girlfriend and people took sides.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
No lol. I’m just saying everyone needs to stop pointing fingers only on Marner
Marner is having a down year, he might be getting points but he doesn’t have the jump he had over the past three years. That had nothing to do with who he is playing with.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Don't remember where exactly I heard it (sometime on TSN today), but apparently Muzzin and Rielly are the loudest guys on the team in this regard. While, I don't doubt Matthews, Marner or JT's desire to be the best NHLer they can be, but they aren't rah-rah guys. Marner is sort of a goofball, Matthews is a confident smart-ass, and Tavares is ultra-serious. We don't really have a veteran ultra serious warrior who is dying to win and still an effective player such as Gary Roberts. The other issue is, in a cap-world, a respected vet who is still a good top 6 player who brings these intangibles may be overpaid. Marleau was also an ultra-reserved quiet guy in this regard. Freddie is also pretty low-key, and unlikely to be a guy who is going to light-a-fire under the team and challenge them.

You sort of wish to find a guy who hates losing more than he loves winning. Those guys can be grating on a daily basis, but they can also get the best out of people if they are top players. People such as Michael Jordan, Mark Messier, Crosby, Howe, Maurice Richard, Roy, Hasek, Kobe Bryant, Larry Bird, were notorious in that regard (and you can find opposite examples like Gretzky, Magic Johnson, etc). Now, I know I just listed a couple of the best players in their respective sports (a level anyone on this Leafs team is unlikely to reach). But, it would be nice if there were a couple of guys on this team who showed that.

I think it takes times. To me I think Matthews and company still think and play like they are rookies or on their ELCs in the beginning of this season. I believe they know they will get points but they didn’t know how to lead the team. Esp., when JT made Captain, they still think they can rely on others instead of doing all the work.
Matthews, Willie, Marner, Kap and Hyman are slowly evolving and learning they are the Core and others are looking at thing to win games or make something happens. Same with Reilly and now Dermott on the defensive end where they are being count on to perform.
How often did we see comments like Player X just floated the whole game....before Keefe took over. Not saying players don’t float under Keefe but we are seeing less and less of that. Take Matthews for example, he learned how to be dominate even if he is not scoring goals. Same with Willie. They are talented players but they are also kids. Look at the Avs, they made the playoffs when Mack first broke in then missed a few yrs in a row, Mack was questioned about his talents and was even moved to the wing as he was deemed not good enough to play C. OReilly and Duchense(their core) were traded away. And look at them now.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think it takes times. To me I think Matthews and company still think and play like they are rookies or on their ELCs in the beginning of this season. I believe they know they will get points but they didn’t know how to lead the team. Esp., when JT made Captain, they still think they can rely on others instead of doing all the work.
Matthews, Willie, Marner, Kap and Hyman are slowly evolving and learning they are the Core and others are looking at thing to win games or make something happens. Same with Reilly and now Dermott on the defensive end where they are being count on to perform.
How often did we see comments like Player X just floated the whole game....before Keefe took over. Not saying players don’t float under Keefe but we are seeing less and less of that. Take Matthews for example, he learned how to be dominate even if he is not scoring goals. Same with Willie. They are talented players but they are also kids. Look at the Avs, they made the playoffs when Mack first broke in then missed a few yrs in a row, Mack was questioned about his talents and was even moved to the wing as he was deemed not good enough to play C. OReilly and Duchense(their core) were traded away. And look at them now.
Certain guys are just wired with a crazy competitiveness streak. I don't think its really developed. They just legit hate losing. It may not be healthy overall, but someone like Jordan was someone who focused on any small slight real or perceived. He legit hated to lose. Now, you don't have to be wired like that, but its something you sort of have. I mean, looking at another Toronto team, this team doesn't really have someone like Kyle Lowry. Now, it's caused him issues, especially earlier in his career, but that guy legit hates to lose more than he likes to win, and has been like that since he entered the league.

Also, MacKinnon is pretty well known for being a snap-show who hates losing, and has been from a young age.

Reactions: therealkoho

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Ive said it since the announcement of Tavares being named captain. This was the worse thing to do to this team.

It should have been Matthews all along. Tavares is a silent leader and I believe his demeanor has trickled down through the dressing room.

To me Marner is a cancer in the room. He needs to go.

sorry pal but this post is just wrong in too many ways, JT is a really quiet captain but then so were Syl App's and Dave Keon, that said Morgan Rielly is the guy who truly earned that C

Matty is a great player but he's never worn a C anywhere he's played, I'm not saying he isn't a leader but maybe he's a guy that has never wanted the mantle

the last bit about Marner is ridiculous there is no evidence of this whatsoever why start narratives that just don't exist

No Gary Roberts style leader.

I know Robert's is a legend and a very talented and intense player and all that but the guy split Sundin's dressing room, you do remember how his tenure in Toronto ended don't you?

don't think having him as your C is a real good thing

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
sorry pal but this post is just wrong in too many ways, JT is a really quiet captain but then so were Syl App's and Dave Keon, that said Morgan Rielly is the guy who truly earned that C

Matty is a great player but he's never worn a C anywhere he's played, I'm not saying he isn't a leader but maybe he's a guy that has never wanted the mantle

the last bit about Marner is ridiculous there is no evidence of this whatsoever why start narratives that just don't exist

I know Robert's is a legend and a very talented and intense player and all that but the guy split Sundin's dressing room, you do remember how his tenure in Toronto ended don't you?

don't think having him as your C is a real good thing
Are you confusing Roberts as part of or with the Corson/Green/Tucker group? Yeah, the Euro's tended to hang-out with each other back then and the Canadians with each other. But, the only people who truly ended up on the outside were Corson/Green/Tucker, with the guys like Domi and Roberts being on the side of Mats and his friends. Which got Corson banished from the team, Green not re-signed, and Tucker told to get in-line.

Reactions: mclaren55

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I think it had a lot more to do with who he got traded for

I think it had a lot to do that he was traded for a blue collar folk hero Canadian boy, for a perceived soft quiet Euro, I can remember the hate towards Matts, its was xenophobic.

Reactions: WillNy29

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Maybe he didn't mean it that way, but almost seems like they pride themselves on not having emotion. Seems like a bad culture if they think that is good.

Interestingly, that used to be something people raved about with Carey Price, which I always thought was ridiculous. As I said, give me Billy Smith or Ron Hextall any day.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Every team I was ever on had the same dbags who always yelled from the rooftops to try and get people going. Those guys dont motivate anyone, they get tuned out. You can only hear them for so long. Its why I'll never understand how people here think that a guy yelling when the camera pans to them is a "leader". What you want is a general. I want someone who will guide, not yell and scream like some idiot. Do you want a drill sergeant leading you into battle or someone who won't get you killed?

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
I honestly always felt this team should have been Morgans. He's well spoken, measured, and thoughtful whenever he is being interviewed. Everyone seems to love him on the team, he never throws anyone under the bus but himself. Lets not forget that he also was drafted and developed by us, which makes it all the more special.

Guy is mature beyond his years and even if he doesn't have the C, I feel like he is the leader in that room.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No lol. I’m just saying everyone needs to stop pointing fingers only on Marner
For some there can ever only be one.
23 Players on the roster plus Coaches and Management but all the teams troubles come down to one player.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Didnt the raptors make a living off of no emotions until the job was done last playoffs? They got praised for it

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don’t know why Ray went there. I’ll just leave it at that. It’s been a rotten year for them. It will work itself out with some solid play down the road. I have seen spezza for example just going on hard about some kind of stuff that was going on out there. Seen Tavares,Matthews, Marner doing it too.

I don’t buy this item one little bit

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Didnt the raptors make a living off of no emotions until the job was done last playoffs? They got praised for it

Hockey is a little different. It's intense with contact and generally you want you players pretty fired up and wanting to crush the other team. In basketball you want to be calm and clear headed to make your shots. It's a ball in the hole sport, like golf but without the clubs and with giant obstacles that move... They still play intense though when on the move, not saying they aren't fired up, just it's different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->