TSN: Ferraro shares something he's noticed about the Leafs bench

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I mentioned this before, but when I was in Tampa for the game there, Matthews got rocked behind one of the nets.

No one on the benched flinched.

It's not a toughness issue. Kapanen has played really scrappy. Clifford is there. Muzzin has played on some tough teams and plays a tough style.

It's like they either don't care about each other or are being told to not stand up for each other.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The big boys won their contract negotiations with Dubas so what else is there to play for?

Well given that the money that the top guys got is such a big chunk of the budget, there's not much left over for quality depth in the middle and bottom of the lineup.

So when, 2 or 3 of the big guns aren't producing, this team is going to falter. There's no energy line or secondary scoring.

Fait accompli.

Reactions: Carltons Cup

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Well the coach has changed so it's on the players now. And if it doesn't work, there's more than a few guys who could be moved.
I still think they can make some noise when Muz and Soup come back (and now that Rielly is back)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

This kind of thing fits right in with the narrative of lack of heart / effort we see so much. I checked a few threads and didn't see it really posted, but what do people make of this?

I can recall Komarov / Kadri giving it to each other all the time just a few years ago.

Children should be seen and not heard.... job well done Leaf bench ... ;)

Shhhhh... the adults are busy winning hockey games....

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Bottom line, if they win then nobody cares. Kawhi Leonard is also very robotic and doesn’t show much emotion but the Raps won so nobody said anything.

Yup - someone like JT leads by example. You don't have to be yelling and in people's faces. Since they picked up Clifford the team seems to be standing up for eachother more, so there's that

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Bottom line, if they win then nobody cares. Kawhi Leonard is also very robotic and doesn’t show much emotion but the Raps won so nobody said anything.

Emotion, Heart, Grit, Leadership are all easy things for media/commentators/trolls to attack when teams lose because they are all subjective.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
sparks already spilled the beans .... no passion in the room.

After he said that I knew it was his last game as a Leaf.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Emotion, Heart, Grit, Leadership are all easy things for media/commentators/trolls to attack when teams lose because they are all subjective.
So true.

The Leafs lose because they aren't that good.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Ferraro also said that nobody is making players accountable, although Muzz has started to speak up recently. Mentioned Pat Verbeek being one of those guys who would make teammates accountable. When asked for examples of Verbeeks, one of Poulin or Button said Koneckny and the Tkachuk brothers. Yup the same Travis we passed on.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Ya, remember when Powell was all excited before they won it all and Kawhi refused to acknowledge him. He showed no emotion, but he spoke loud and clear. Don’t like the analogy.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Yup - someone like JT leads by example. You don't have to be yelling and in people's faces. Since they picked up Clifford the team seems to be standing up for eachother more, so there's that

They need to replace the depth players with gritty players. If the depth isn't going top score anyways, they might as well be useful in other ways. Playing hard minutes, finishing checks, blocking shots. Only guys I consider to play that style in our bottom 6 are Clifford and Kappy. Engvall has potential but needs to be developed into playing that way.

Rest can go outside of maybe Spezza. Same on defense we need someone like Dillion on the bottom pair. There should always be someone on the ice ready to stand up for the team.

And then once that is done, it's time to shake up the core by moving one of Marner or Nylander, and most of us prefer Marner for that elusive answer to our top pair RD.

JT was a beast last year, but this year he hasn't had a single game where he took it over. He's had a few good games, where he had multiple points and game winning plays, but nothing like last year where he was showing up Matthews a few times.

And when he is not scoring, he is giving the puck away, shying away from contact, and being a liability away from the puck. Why should Matthews care about his example of working hard if he is working hard too and playing circles around him?

Maybe it's unfair to JT to lay the blame on him, he is a victim of poor management himself. It should have been a fairy tale ending for him in TO, but Dubas screwed up a sure cup competing team.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I think there is a fracture in the dressing room. If our Leafs fan base is fractured over the Marner overpayment, I'd bet his teammates are too.

If I was coach, I'd healthy scratch Marner to see how the rest of the team responds. Marner has played bad as of late. The rest of the team seems to be following his lead.

Wait so you think that, in a group of millionaires, some of the millionaires are so distressed that one millionaire is millionaire-er than they are, that it's splitting the room in half?

Every team in the league must secretly be in shambles.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Actions matter more. I dont care about who's rah rah on the bench. On the ice they have to give it, this team struggles with that.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Winning and losing changes the framework of everything. If their loud on the bench and losing then they're too emotional or disjointed. If they're quiet and winning then they're terminator like. This is the ridiculousness of the toronto media, always finding angles on things that don't matter. What's next, how they talk in the locker room, or their pregame speeches? At the end of the day, how they are on the bench is meaningless. what they do on the ice is what matters.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Wait so you think that, in a group of millionaires, some of the millionaires are so distressed that one millionaire is millionaire-er than they are, that it's splitting the room in half?

Every team in the league must secretly be in shambles.
So, you don't think the players making less than $3.0M might be jealous of thoses players making over $10.0M?

If lesser paid players see the $10.0M players dogging it, do you really think they just shrug their shoulders?

I have coached players that have complained to me that if the 1st liners take the game off, why should they bust their butts.

Animosity in hockey exists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad