Ferraro or Callahan

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
With Datsyuk's injury it is highly likely that one of these two will be the 14th forward on the roster. I prefer Callahan but, to me, it appears that management prefers Ferraro. So which of these two do you want to make the roster?

EDIT: Both players have been waived, appears that Nestrasil will be the 14th forward

@AnsarKhanMLive
Wings placed Callahan, Ferraro and Porter on waivers today. Have until noon tomorrow to clear. Keeping Nestrasil on roster for now

Last edited:

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Honestly neither have really impressed me enough to want to keep them up. Of the two I think Cally has looked better in his call ups and preseason so that's my vote.

Think management is stuck on Ferraro being a 1st round pick, similar to Kindl.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think callahan can offer sonething the team lacks and needs

either way though they would both pass thru waivers with ferraro likely reassigned to grand rapids..

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Nestrasil.

In all honesty, Cally by a head over Lando. Both have been pretty blah this preseason. I keep hoping one will really assert himself but it hasn't happened.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Except he wasn't. :laugh:

Meh. He was ranked as a 1st rounder, was traded for a 1st rounder, and was a hair away from being a first rounder. I think the point still stands - teams are always more likely to give high picks second chances, or more. Plus, he's got great bloodlines, which a lot of scouts seemingly value.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Neither of them are what I'd call impressive. Ferraro did score a nice shorty though a couple games ago.

I agree neither one has really been overly impressive during camp and preseason, Just maybe giving a slight edge for Cally over Landon. I will be curious to see who stays since Datsyuk most likely wont be back until the end of the month and as of now he have 13 forward.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I think Ferraro's transformation from productive goal scorer to PKing checking forward is pretty impressive. I don't know Callahan's past as well because the O,W, and Q are covered much more extensively in Ontario than other leagues, obviously. But Ferraro's ability to shift into a defensive force who uses his smarts and speed to be effective (and score a lot of fast break type goals) is pretty impressive to me.

I think Callahan also offers agitation, grit, physicality, etc. and can obviously produce as we saw recently in the AHL. But I don't know if Babcock, Holland, etc. value the agitating and pesky side of the game as much as the fans on here do. Ferraro's chirps are pretty well documented in the series of videos on vimeo from the Griffs Calder Cup run, so it isn't like he is a saint in comparison, but he has shown a good amount of versatility and his speed and right handed shot would both add up to give him the edge, at least in my eyes.

If Ferraro's game hadn't plateau'd/ slightly dipped last year, and instead plateau'd/ slightly climbed from his previous season (I'm talking really marginally small difference in his overall season, because I think his "disappointing" season is kind of overstated) there would be very little discussion. Callahan all of a sudden looked like he could be a 4th liner in the NHL where as Ferraro went from likely 4th line/ bottom 6/ PK lifer to 4th liner/ fringe NHLer in the space of 1 season.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Neither. Bring up one of the 3 remaining D men prospects and have them play in the top 6 and roll with 8 D for awhile.

ReliEnt

Apr 7, 2007
Michigan
I would go with Callahan over Ferraro. He can at least bring some toughness and Ferraro really hasnt done anything since hes been up. I think Netrasil has been the best out of all three but I just dont see him earning a roster spot. At this point in the season most teams are in the same boat with making decisions on their own players so I cant see any of them getting claimed. They would have to be on another teams roster and they just arent good enough or have enough potential to warrant that.

GeoSacks

Sep 11, 2007
Southern Ontario.
Ansar seems to think Callahan is the front runner to make the team between him, Ferraro, and Netrasil.

Ansar seems to think Callahan is more physical despite Ferraro's tendency to lead the team in hits.

Ansar is cranking out fluffy reports on all the prospects without putting too much thought into them. Really though, Nestrasil has been better than either in this camp.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Ansar seems to think Callahan is more physical despite Ferraro's tendency to lead the team in hits.

Ansar is cranking out fluffy reports on all the prospects without putting too much thought into them. Really though, Nestrasil has been better than either in this camp.

Probably has more offensive upside too. Netrasil had a nice second half of the season last year.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Been wholly unimpressed with Callahan this preseason. Too much floating and not enough engaging the play, which is surprising given his style. He may have a physical edge and is a good forechecker, but when we're pinned in our own zone (which is more often than ever) and he's out there, watch out.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I've talked to people from the Boston game and they said Callahan was one of the most impressive ones out there that game. Big hit on Chara, pissing off the Bruins, drawing penalties and played a great game.

Neither have been great this preseason but we did also miss Callahans best game by far from what I've heard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad