Signing(s): Fernando Tatis Jr. signs extension (14 years, $340 million)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
We'll see if there are opt-outs but I'd be absolutely ecstatic if I was a Padres fan. You will have a superstar for all of his prime it appears.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That’s a crazy contract but could be an absolute steal for SD going forward

I mean he’s arguably worth it right now even if he’s only 2 seasons in. But the way the kid is playing, they’re going to end up saving TONS of money going forward.

And it takes him to 36 and not 40 like some other deals.

& at that age he could end up with another big contract (I.e Nelson Cruz for example)

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I mean he’s arguably worth it right now even if he’s only 2 seasons in. But the way the kid is playing, they’re going to end up saving TONS of money going forward.

& at that age he could end up with another big contract (I.e Nelson Cruz for example)

I just mean 14 years is crazy. The value is great for SD if all goes according to plan but we don’t have a crystal ball. Injuries could derail the whole thing and then you’ve got an albatross on your hands. That’s the risk with these types of contracts but obviously the upside is very much there and I get why these teams go this route as they offer tremendous long term value if they work out.

Reactions: Voight

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Oh BS on the lowballed Machado crap

They offered him the 2nd highest deal among suitors

I get some fans hate Jerry because of the Bulls dynasty end but this nonsense that he never spends is just that

Sox had good stretch in which they were top 10 payroll in baseball and Jerry has ok'd bringing in various guys thru years among top FA's (Dunn) or via trade (Peavy) who required sizeable contracts

Sox acquired guys like Freddy Garcia , Jake Peavy and others knowing they would have to shell out $$$ to sign them to deals after trade

And several times Jerry/Sox management have proven very right with who to pay and who not to pay. Remember when Magglio was let go and they brought in Dye instead.. Fans were furious but it was right move to not pay Mags big $ and Dye proved essential to WS team and was great for several years in Chicago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad