Ferland Setback

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
3 separate comebacks from his concussion symptoms and none of them lasted past 2 games. You want to be optimistic but he’s not able to get back and stay in the lineup.
Can you imagine the consequences if it was Ferland who took that vicious head-shot from Reaves last night instead of Motte? It was already a scary enough incident. But with Ferland, you'd wonder whether he could ever lead a normal life again. Time to retire.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
time to hang em up. family comes first and health. same kind of deal with derek dorsett situation? caphit doesnt count? unless hes Ltir

Reactions: VIPettersson

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
It’s a medical situation that he has to clear concussion protocol. Similar to Malhottra.

if Ferland can’t pass the tests he can’t play.

so far Ferland has passed all of the tests, done it 3 times this season so he has been fortunate that so far it hasn’t impacted his overall life.

but still, it’s 3 times passing all tests yet he can’t last more than 2 games upon his return.
or lasting half a period...

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I thought if players are on LTIR there salary doesnt count against the cap? Isnt that what happend with Hossa and Clarkson?

They do count against the cup unless the team is exceeding the ceiling when replacing them with another player. It is a rather complicated thing but if you feel like it, I suggest to read through the FAQ from capfriendly:

LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
time to hang em up. family comes first and health. same kind of deal with derek dorsett situation? caphit doesnt count? unless hes Ltir

his agent already said he has no plans to retire so we are f***ing stuck with him

lawrence

May 19, 2012
his agent already said he has no plans to retire so we are f***ing stuck with him

we have an option at putting him ltir and saving 3.5 mill in cap room. and no we are not making this up as he clearly got hurt again when he came back.

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
Seriously though Ferland is doing himself a disservice. He tried multiple times to return only to leave shortly after. All he is doing is impacting his life in the long run. Can't see him getting another contract might as well go on LTIR and call it.

Reactions: David71

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'm not in Ferland's shoes or in his life but I have to think at some point someone close to him needs to step in and tell him it's time to start thinking about life after hockey. Think about the quality of life going into his 30s and 40s and spending time with his wife and kids etc.

Again i'm not his doctor, or a doctor period, but just the amount of setbacks he's had and how easily they've come is a real red flag. He's a professional athlete and has that drive to compete that's probably blinding his decision making.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
They do count against the cup unless the team is exceeding the ceiling when replacing them with another player. It is a rather complicated thing but if you feel like it, I suggest to read through the FAQ from capfriendly:

LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
I am a retired engineer, and I am good at math. I have won math competitions. And reading through this makes my brain hurt. Either way we are in Cap hell.

None of this looks good. And I think this guys insane if he ever Plays another game.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm not going to hope for Ferland to quit playing hockey. He's only 28 and obviously has a strong desire to keep playing. I'm not going to sit here and judge what is best for him. That's for him and his wife and family to decide.

I think Ferland needs to stop fighting. He clearly can't do that anymore and as I said before, nobody is going to blame him if he doesn't drop the gloves anymore.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not going to hope for Ferland to quit playing hockey. He's only 28 and obviously has a strong desire to keep playing. I'm not going to sit here and judge what is best for him. That's for him and his wife and family to decide.

I think Ferland needs to stop fighting. He clearly can't do that anymore and as I said before, nobody is going to blame him if he doesn't drop the gloves anymore.
2 fights this season and he didn't last much after that.

Ferland is probably in that grey area in that he would likely clear concussion protocol, like he has the prior 3 returns this season. It's whether he can last more than 2 games when he returns.

But, and this is where it should be scary for Ferland, is that he's doing ok now, in terms of not having symptoms flare up randomly for weeks upon weeks. He generally is feeling ok after about a week or so that he slowly is able to ramp up his training.

But, for anyone with concussion issues, you are literally 1 hit away from severe symptoms, like the ones Savard, Franzen, Pronger suffered to end their career, thus impacting their post hockey life.

That is what Ferland has to weigh.
1) he's ok now, but can't really return to full action, but since he feels fine leading up to actually playing, he'll likely keep trying to return to the NHL to play. Unless a doctor actually advises him not to return. Otherwise, if he passes concussion protocol then he wouldn't get paid for not playing since he couldn't be placed on LTIR.
2) the scary end result is that he plays, and gets concussed again and it impacts him like Savard/Franzen. He gets his money, but the quality of life is not good for him.

What advice is a doctor going to give him over this off-season?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
This guy is insane. Returning multiple times just to be immediately concussed. Fighting in his first shift of his playoff return.

Someone needs to knock some sense into this guy. :loony:

Reactions: David71

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
The new CBA has some new rules about allowing players to get a second opinion if the club's medical team won't clear a player for a return.

Extra wrinkle next season is likely no AHL for a conditioning stint, which acted as the canary in the mineshaft on one occasion this year.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Leafs play litr games more than any other team. Saw an article recently where they listed some targets for them to continue doing this now that their 2 big litr contracts are finished and the author suggested Ferland. Unlikely but who knows.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Leafs play litr games more than any other team. Saw an article recently where they listed some targets for them to continue doing this now that their 2 big litr contracts are finished and the author suggested Ferland. Unlikely but who knows.

canucks are not regular season rivals so it could be a fit with clarkson and horton falling off the books this year. depends on whether the leafs want to continue down that road. leafs "estimated salary expenditure" this past season including all the dead salaries they pay and all the extra bodies they pay in relief was $110m according to capfriendly.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
canucks are not regular season rivals so it could be a fit with clarkson and horton falling off the books this year. depends on whether the leafs want to continue down that road. leafs "estimated salary expenditure" this past season including all the dead salaries they pay and all the extra bodies they pay in relief was $110m according to capfriendly.
But for that to occur, they would need to know for sure that Ferland is never going to play again. We don't know that yet. It's been over a month since the Game 2 vs Minny. Have to wait and see what management says about him at this point. Is he suffering any symptoms after 4 weeks?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
But for that to occur, they would need to know for sure that Ferland is never going to play again. We don't know that yet. It's been over a month since the Game 2 vs Minny. Have to wait and see what management says about him at this point. Is he suffering any symptoms after 4 weeks?

dunno how many comebacks he can sensibly try. it is getting ridiculous.

didn't lupul hint that the leafs have ways of keeping you on robidas island?

iloovRMB

Paul Feyerabend is my spirit animal
Aug 22, 2020
Send him to the same chiropractor who fixed Sidney Crosby's concussion problems.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Send him to the same chiropractor who fixed Sidney Crosby's concussion problems.
The chiropractor was able to help Crosby relieve symptoms, which had previously been considered concussion related, because the symptoms were in fact not concussion symptoms, and we're from an unresolved neck injury.

One of the difficult things with concussions is that the symptoms could be post-concussion, or a number of non-brain injury related issues.

Reactions: iloovRMB

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The chiropractor was able to help Crosby relieve symptoms, which had previously been considered concussion related, because the symptoms were in fact not concussion symptoms, and we're from an unresolved neck injury.

One of the difficult things with concussions is that the symptoms could be post-concussion, or a number of non-brain injury related issues.
Same type of thing with draft prospect Hendrix Lapierre. He missed time for what is believe to be 2 concussions this season plus one last season. Second opinion is that the third one is a neck injury. But that’s going to hurt his draft stock.

his comparable is Bergeron in terms of being a high quality two way C. Type of game but doesn’t mean same output on both sides.

makes him a wildcard in the draft.

I’m sure Ferland is going to look around for other opinions as to what ails him since he is Abel to recover and pass the concussion protocols but not make it through the games.

Reactions: deckercky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad