Ferland Setback

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Vancouver Sun and TSN are reporting that Ferland has been deemed 'unfit to play' on the opening day of training camp.

I assume it's concussion -related, but nobody is talking. Feel bad for the guy, but surely he and his family have to be thinking 'retirement'.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
It can mean number of things but the NHL handles all comms now and the only thing teams can report publicly is "deemed unfit to play" which is why there is a parade of players being labelled the same thing today

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The Vancouver Sun and TSN are reporting that Ferland has been deemed 'unfit to play' on the opening day of training camp.

I assume it's concussion -related, but nobody is talking. Feel bad for the guy, but surely he and his family have to be thinking 'retirement'.

Retire and he loses out on $9.5MM on what would be his last meaningful source of income in midst of an economic crisis. We're going to be dealing with his contract all summer long for the next 3 years (can only go 10% over the cap in offseason). Have to be cap compliant for day 1 of the next 3 seasons with his cap hit on the books before we can get him onto LTIR so just means we're going to have to do some financial manoeuvring.

Again begs the question of why, given the manner and frequency of his injuries all last season, we gave 4 years of term.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Listen to the Benning interview. It doesn’t sound concussion related. Sounds very minor, or illness related.

Reactions: m9

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Retire and he loses out on $9.5MM on what would be his last meaningful source of income in midst of an economic crisis. We're going to be dealing with his contract all summer long for the next 3 years (can only go 10% over the cap in offseason). Have to be cap compliant for day 1 of the next 3 seasons with his cap hit on the books before we can get him onto LTIR so just means we're going to have to do some financial manoeuvring.

Again begs the question of why, given the manner and frequency of his injuries all last season, we gave 4 years of term.
But also begs the question what would the plan be if you are spending over the cap in the off season? If it is $81 mill and he costs $3.5 mill why would you spend upwards of $90 mill in cap commitments?

Are you likely to trade the extra $5 mill away when the season begins? Can only bury so much in the A.

Reactions: mossey3535

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

According to Rick Dhaliwal, the Canucks were the only team willing to go to 4 years. So somehow even with his injury questions he got term and a NMC for half his deal and a modified NTC for the rest.

Makes you wonder what happens during negotiations, where's the concession from the players side?

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
According to Rick Dhaliwal, the Canucks were the only team willing to go to 4 years. So somehow even with his injury questions he got term and a NMC for half his deal and a modified NTC for the rest.

Makes you wonder what happens during negotiations, where's the concession from the players side?
Given that the Canucks haven't been a very good team in a while and Benning doesn't seem to be very adept at negotiations, the management probably just breaks out the knee pads and begs players to sign here. So, to answer your question, not much.

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK

the term was because of the relatively cheap AAV. A healthy Ferkie is very good value at that price.

But... personally I'm worried for him, I don't like the risk he's talking to play. I guess a lot of guys would tho for that kind of $.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If concussion related he should consider his health after hockey now. Probably his best interest to go ltir until he retires sad for the player and person best wishes to Ferland.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I just hope that at the end of the day, ferland ends up living a healthy and happy life.
Life has a lot more beautiful things to offer than hockey.
A very unfortunate ending for a young guys career but head injuries are no joke.
Stay healthy Ferland, you have my respect.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019

There isn’t a question why. We know why. Benning is a f***ing idiot.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Doesn't seem like a serious setback. Sounds more like they're being careful. I bet we see him practicing within the week.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe its Covid? I mean, compared to all the talk of serious talk of career ending setbacks to injuries he was cleared of once already, it seems like the elephant in the room no one is mentioning.

Reactions: deckercky

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

Because it was the only way to land a feee agent on a team that’s been absolutely horrid for 5 years.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not to make light of Ferland's situation; but this is why those that complain about "why didn't Gilligan offer a multi-year deal instead of a one year offer to Willie Mitchell" are like fart's in the wind.

Ummmm he won a Stanley cup and was a huge piece of that, after we didn’t re-sign him.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Ummmm he won a Stanley cup and was a huge piece of that, after we didn’t re-sign him.

Clearly you missed the point. Mitchell's health was a serious unknown, he was dealing with terrible post concussion symptoms. Thankfully he bounced back but it very easily could have gone the other way. Ferland is an example of that.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He's probably out of shape, at least to the level of being ready for a teams training camp that's going to be my guess.

Reactions: David71

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
He's probably out of shape, at least to the level of being ready for a teams training camp that's going to be my guess.

I guess, but where is the usual Virtanen-esque shaming? The organization hasn't been shy about calling out conditioning before.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I guess, but where is the usual Virtanen-esque shaming? The organization hasn't been shy about calling out conditioning before.

it will be kinda bad on the management to throw Ferland under the bus like this since he was suppose to be written off for the entire season regardless, so he kinda has an excuse to be not training unlike Virtanen. But who knows, that's just me, I will much rather have a Ferland in the playoffs then not. our record is 11-3-1 with him in the line up.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Like a month ago, it was reported that he was 100% and good to go.
Now he's unfit to play?
My bet is that he either has COVID or got concussion symptoms during practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->