Speculation: Ferland, Bennett and Lazar need new contracts (Ferland has filed for arb.)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Ferland wants 4 years then the flames should most definitely proceed with the arbitration. I find most Flames fans like him more than I do, but he isn't a top 6 player (I think he has the potential but he hasn't shown it with any consistency over more than 5-10 games).

I mean 4 years at under $2mil is be fine with, but he isn't worth anything more than that.

And God help us if he's our 1st line RW for the entire year.

Also there is no way he is signed before Bennett is, who I hope gets max term. 8x4 is the dream. I think he gets bridged for 2 years though.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If Ferland wants 4 years then the flames should most definitely proceed with the arbitration. I find most Flames fans like him more than I do, but he isn't a top 6 player (I think he has the potential but he hasn't shown it with any consistency over more than 5-10 games).

I mean 4 years at under $2mil is be fine with, but he isn't worth anything more than that.

And God help us if he's our 1st line RW for the entire year.

Also there is no way he is signed before Bennett is, who I hope gets max term. 8x4 is the dream. I think he gets bridged for 2 years though.

I am against using him as a RW at all. He's more effective as a LWer anyways.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I am against using him as a RW at all. He's more effective as a LWer anyways.

This is so overvalued it's not even funny.

If you can accept passes on your backhand, which all NHLers can, you can play the off wing.

I was a RHS center. But the odd time I played wing I preferred LW because in the offensive zone/off the rush my stick was in the centre of the ice. On odd man rushes or opportunities in the slot your stick "sees a lot more net" and it's actually an advantage offensively. Your stick also faces your teammates which make one-timers infinitely easier.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I love Ferland, but rewarding him with a 4 year contract after a good showing on the top line for 20-odd games would be a dicey move. I'd rather see him get bridged because you just know that the way we're up against the cap, he'd be vilified if he was underperforming on a 4 year deal.

If he gets a 4 year contract for under 2 million; who cares?
He literally has to regress to become a 4th liner... but he just becomes one of the most effective 4th liners in the NHL signed for 4 years under 2 million... Not the worst thing in the world.

Really Ferland is a really good middle 6 option with speed, skill and bruising ability; something we sorely lack in our lineup. To me, at worst, Ferland is a 20-25 point player in this league that will get no PP time and will produce on 5v5.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
From what I've seen of Ferly he's pretty useless on special teams. But 5 on 5 he's a stud. You could se the potential the year before when he shot 3%

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If he gets a 4 year contract for under 2 million; who cares?
He literally has to regress to become a 4th liner... but he just becomes one of the most effective 4th liners in the NHL signed for 4 years under 2 million... Not the worst thing in the world.

Really Ferland is a really good middle 6 option with speed, skill and bruising ability; something we sorely lack in our lineup. To me, at worst, Ferland is a 20-25 point player in this league that will get no PP time and will produce on 5v5.

I'm assuming that if he wants 4 years, he'd be asking for more than 2 million.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm assuming that if he wants 4 years, he'd be asking for more than 2 million.

In arb, which legs does he have to get 2+ though? Boums got 2.2 x 3 after putting up 34 points and 16 goals.

I think if he was looking for 3-4 years, he's in the 1.7-1.9 range.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Ritchie is a great comparable, 2 years @ $1.75. Honestly, if I was Ferland, I'm not sure why I'd be looking for a 4 year deal, at this point.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Ritchie is a great comparable, 2 years @ $1.75. Honestly, if I was Ferland, I'm not sure why I'd be looking for a 4 year deal, at this point.

Because ten million before taxes is a lot of money :dunno:

People always forget these guys can usually get to FA faster that way which is inventive to sign longer term for more money then a bridge.

Personally I think the best way is to have the Michael Stones to identify and pay your future key players a little more on the first few years to save on the last 5. That's why I would try to sign Bennett and Ferland long term.

Bridges only make sense to capped out teams imo.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Because ten million before taxes is a lot of money :dunno:

People always forget these guys can usually get to FA faster that way which is inventive to sign longer term for more money then a bridge.

Personally I think the best way is to have the Michael Stones to identify and pay your future key players a little more on the first few years to save on the last 5. That's why I would try to sign Bennett and Ferland long term.

Bridges only make sense to capped out teams imo.

Ummm....we are now! We're one player short of being a genuine contender and can't afford him.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Personally I think the best way is to ... identify and pay your future key players a little more on the first few years to save on the last 5. That's why I would try to sign Bennett and Ferland long term.

Agree 100%.

Ummm....we are now! We're one player short of being a genuine contender and can't afford him.

That's because of the Brouwer contract, no other reason. Not Gaudreau, or Giordano, or Monahan.

However, if we can replace successfully Frolik with a guy like Jankowski, Poirier, Mangiapane, or Klimchuk, we would go a long way towards freeing up some cap space, as Frolik is less of a cap dump and more of a desireable asset that would also help recoup the assets lost in the Hamonic/Smith/Stone trades.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If Ferland is going to be as good as people on this board think he is, then signing a 4 year deal would be short-sighted on his part.

I think he is going to get bridged, because it's what both parties are going to want.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Agree 100%.

However, if we can replace successfully Frolik with a guy like Jankowski, Poirier, Mangiapane, or Klimchuk, we would go a long way towards freeing up some cap space, as Frolik is less of a cap dump and more of a desireable asset that would also help recoup the assets lost in the Hamonic/Smith/Stone trades.

You have a great point, when i Jank going to make his grand entry?

The other guys have little hope of replacing Frolik

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Are you saying Mangiapane can replace him in a few years, or now?

2017-18 Mangiapane will probably split time between leagues if for no other reason than "He wasn't the best forward on his AHL team" last year. Obviously some time to adjust between leagues, continue to get a little bit better is needed. But I would feel great about Mangiapane replacing Frolik after next season. Our team will be able to weather any perceived risk of doing so.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I am really high on Mangiapane too. I think he is going to be a decent 3rd liner.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Actually I think Mangiapane can not only replace Frolik defensively, but upgrade on him at the other end. He is basically a young Marchand without the pestiness.

Mangiapane isn't Marchand level pest, but he is no Saint. He'll get quite chippy if the game calls for it.

I'm not sure I'd put Mangiapane out there with Backs right now though replacing Frolik. I like Andrew, but he ain't good enough to go against the top teams every game which is what Backs' line is used for right now. I'd be comfortable with him there if he was with both Backs and Fro though. I'd prefer that to Janko with Backs because Janko should be kept at center and Mangiapane can be groomed quite nicely and he is no slouch offensively either.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I wouldn't give Ferland a contract bigger then Kassian at all. I think Treliving knows he made a mistake with Bouma and he isn't going to make it again. I would actually say Bouma's big season was a lot better then Ferlands past season. Bouma was consistent through the whole year in the scoring department and provided a better Defensive game then Ferland did. Ferland should not get a sniff of anything over 2 mill. If he wants that I would go to arbitration sign him for one year and look to trade him throughout the season.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I wouldn't give Ferland a contract bigger then Kassian at all. I think Treliving knows he made a mistake with Bouma and he isn't going to make it again. I would actually say Bouma's big season was a lot better then Ferlands past season. Bouma was consistent through the whole year in the scoring department and provided a better Defensive game then Ferland did. Ferland should not get a sniff of anything over 2 mill. If he wants that I would go to arbitration sign him for one year and look to trade him throughout the season.

Bouma and Ferland are not comparable. One was a guy coming off one strong year where he played exceedingly above low expectations. The other is a guy coming off a strong year where he still didn't meet high statistical expectations.

This is what our AGM said about Ferland when his previous contract was signed:

“What you saw in the playoffs is what we kind of expect,” Conroy said. “I think he’s going to score more goals. He’s got one of the best shots I’ve seen when he was in the minors, watching him in junior. He just is a big guy, a power forward, that can score. But he needs some confidence. He needs to get used to the NHL, the speed, the size of the guys.
source

I do see him as a 20-goal guy,” said Conroy. “He’s tough. As he gets that reputation of being hard to play against, he’s going to get more room.”
source

“And hey, that’s hard. Is it going to be every night? Maybe not. But in my mind, do I think he can do it? Yeah, I do. And with the goal-scoring … With his shot, I think it’s going to come. It might not be this year — it might be next year or the year after — but I do see it coming out at some point.
source

If the Flames project Ferland to be a 20 goal scorer, your strategy would be outright foolish of them. 20 goal scorers with his tools... this isn't a decade ago where everybody was a 20 goal scorer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->