Ference/Stempniak fight

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Anyone else watching this feel it was just wrong? Stempniak is a complete non-fighter, and he clearly did not want to fight AT ALL, was doing everything he could to avoid the fight. Ference didn't care, just beat the living **** out of him anyways, knocking out a bunch of teeth, possibly putting him on IR for awhile.

I'm cool with fighting when both guys are down, and when it's fairly evenly matched. But when you have a fighter just decide "I'm gonna beat the **** out of this little skill player no matter what he does," IMO that's wrong. A 2 minute penalty does not seem like justice.

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010
Looked like stempniak went into the boards awkward right before the fight...

Suter to MacInnis

Mar 20, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
It was the only battle the oilers have won in at least 5 games. Ference should know better than that, clean hit by a skill player.

He's going to get his face caved in by an actual fighter or end up with a blown out knee or something for that garbage.

Evergreen

Ference is such a baby. Got leveled with a clean hit and can't handle it, so he goes after a skill guy. What a loser.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
implied consent when you step on to the ice, except in brutal cases. this really wasn't a brutal case.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
If Stempniak wants to be treated like a "skill" player he shouldn't throw big hits and then drop his gloves.

That's his second straight game with a fight.

NORY

Jul 23, 2011
Oakville, Ont
I cant speak to this situation but when hits happen a player doesnt have time to watch the replay to see if it was clean. some times players have to answer for hits, clean or dirty. fights are used to make players second guess there next hit.

also, since when is Ference a fighter? From what i know of him he only does to stick up for players and himself. Im going to guess what ever happened warranted a response from him.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
implied consent when you step on to the ice, except in brutal cases. this really wasn't a brutal case.
This was a really, really brutal case. Stempniak did not want to fight at all, was doing everything he could to avoid it, and Ference just said "**** it, I'm sending you to the hospital."

This would definitely be assault if it wasn't in a hockey rink, possibly aggravated assault. Now, I'm not saying Ference should go to jail, but this was brutal and disgusting, he just decided to hospitalize Stempniak, and did so. There will probably be no more punishment than a 2 minute penalty, but IMO this should be treated just like a blatant, disgusting headshot that is clearly an attempt to injure. This wasn't a consensual fight, this was Ference simply deciding to injure someone else. I find it pretty twisted that this is seen as "OK" in hockey.

NORY

Jul 23, 2011
Oakville, Ont
so if you weren't wearing skates and you got hit and knocked on your ass you'd get up and just walk away?

no you would get up and slash the guy in the legs and the police would only make you both sit for two mins. I believe a lot that happens in hockey wouldnt be tolerated by law. For the record if two people fight willingly on the street both could be charged with assault.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Here's the fight, though they don't really show the aftermath where Stempniak's face is completely ruined, missing teeth and blood all over the place:

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=486986&catid=-6

It was a hard but more or less clean hit by Stempniak. You can see him trying repeatedly to get away from Ference, but Ference will not let him go, he just beats him into hospitalization. That's brutal and wrong IMO, and it's pretty twisted that he'll get nothing but a 2 minute penalty for that.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
IR, hospitalization?

Who the **** is that guy wearing the 22 Stempniak jersey on the ice right now?

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
it meant to me that someone on the oilers has a pulse, stempniak is a goof for not protecting himself.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
My only issue with the play was lack of the instigation penalty. Instead they gave Ference an additional roughing penalty which kept him from receiving the misconduct.

Like or it or absolutely hate it, why have the instigator penalty at all if they aren't going to call it on obvious cases like this?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
IR, hospitalization?

Who the **** is that guy wearing the 22 Stempniak jersey on the ice right now?
I guess I overreacted, figured he'd be in the hospital as his face was completely destroyed and he appeared to be spitting out teeth. Regardless, the point stands. Is a 2 minute penalty an appropriate punishment for beating the **** out of a guy who is doing everything in his power not to fight? It's intentionally injuring someone in the most intentional way possible, how is this considered WAY less bad than a dirty hit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->