Ference speaks out his frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
tantalum said:
IN todays Chrinicle Herald here in Halifax there is an interview with Belak. He also mentioned something that I found peculiar....the union hasn't contacted him or others since BEFORE the lockout began. Doesn't seem a thing a union concerned about it's membership would do.

That's because they're supposed to get their information from the private web page. Which does bring up an interesting image, think what the private message board must look like:

Thread starter: Chelly
Topic: Who's up for a midnight terror run on Buttman's house?

Thread starter: Belak_is_god
Topic: Why won't Carleton the Bear return my calls?

Thread starter: Juraj_man
Poll: Is a salary cap *really* a non-starter?

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Go Flames Go said:
Its nice to see a superstar of Andrew Ference stature to come out like this and blast the union for being greedy, and unworkable with. The NHL should file a lawsuit this is getting to be too much, the unions unwillingness to accept a cap, and work out a right deal, not a fair deal for the players but he right deal.

Andrew should worry because, he will soon be out of a job, because when the NHL realuanches as a whole new league, hes out of a job.
superstar - hmmm -

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
"You see, I roomed with Oleg (Saprykin) last year. So my English, it is not so good anymore you see? I've developed accent, my words were misinterperated you see?"

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
chara said:
He shouldn't be punished but...the NHLPA are apparantly a bunch of very sensitive thugs and will force him to retract

You know why you won't see that from an OWNER ?

BECAUSE THEY CAN'T SPEAK FREELY, GARY BETTMAN MADE THEM SIGN SOMETHING THAT WOULD GIVE HIM THE RIGHT TO FINE AN OWNER UP TO 1,000,000$ IF HE SPEAK SOMETHING CONTRARY TO THEM

It's not about being on the players side but being realistic that people are taking this too seriously about 4-5 members talking about this vs OWNER who CAN'T SPEAK & SIGN A RESTRAINT ORDER TO SHUT UP

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Nothing Ference said gave any indication that he has broken NHLPA ranks. For the NHLPA is strong and united in their fight, and a few malcontents (not Ference in this instance) do not threaten solidarity.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I disagree wih Ference's opinion that the NHLPA should be negociating in the medua/in public. That's a no-win situation for them because the audience listening has already swallowed the owner's kool-aid and don't care about any NHLPA proposals anyway. They are better off keeping their plans low-key and negociating behind closed doors.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Epsilon said:
I disagree wih Ference's opinion that the NHLPA should be negociating in the medua/in public. That's a no-win situation for them because the audience listening has already swallowed the owner's kool-aid and don't care about any NHLPA proposals anyway. They are better off keeping their plans low-key and negociating behind closed doors.

Reading that article, I don't think Ference particularly cares how they partake in negotiations, he just wants to see ANY negotiations.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Nothing Ference said gave any indication that he has broken NHLPA ranks. For the NHLPA is strong and united in their fight, and a few malcontents (not Ference in this instance) do not threaten solidarity.
Are you actually with Wendy's?

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Are you actually with Wendy's?

No. However, I am indeed a fan of affordable family dining in a fun atmosphere with quality ingredients available at convenient locations with ample parking.

Perhaps we should get back to the topic at hand? :shakehead

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The union will crack at the latest by early summer 2005. Players on average have careers that last less than 7-8 years. 2 seasons with a lockout would mean that they would be throwing away 30% of their life earnings. No player can cope with that. Modano's dogs will starve!

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Jets4Life said:
The union will crack at the latest by early summer 2005. Players on average have careers that last less than 7-8 years. 2 seasons with a lockout would mean that they would be throwing away 30% of their life earnings. No player can cope with that. Modano's dogs will starve!

The US NLRB will surely rule that the NHL is acting in bad faith in regard to contract negotiations. The evidence is overwhelming. The NHL owners are colluding, and since the league has no anti-trust protection, the board will rule in favor of the Association. Meaningful negotiations will commence.

There will be no replacement players.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I think the NHL will just fold for good. A day later they will start a new league called the NHA (National Hockey Association). It is a drastic step, but a necessary one since salaries are out of control, and the NHLPA is not willing to compromise.

It makes you wonder. For a league that gets barely 1/2 of the ratings of the World Series of Poker, why is the NHLPA being so hard to deal with? :dunno:

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
Fernece was on the Fan 960 mlast night and he did not back down at all. He said things such as .....

There was some mention of some secret NHLPA site that has all this info, and, somewhat inferred, that there is some sort of discussion room/forum there, that Ference checks in on daily.

I thought it was interesting when he made the comment. "We have to listen to our constituents (fans)"

It sounded to me like he would be agreeable to negotiate something sensible. Possibly even a salary cap??

He also made reference to the fact that he wont be surprised to hear from the PA soon, but he doesnt really care as he stands by his comments. He actually said he has had a lot of calls of support (100% on his side) from many players today.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Bicycle Repairman said:
The US NLRB will surely rule that the NHL is acting in bad faith in regard to contract negotiations. The evidence is overwhelming. The NHL owners are colluding, and since the league has no anti-trust protection, the board will rule in favor of the Association. Meaningful negotiations will commence.

How are they bargaining in bad faith? How are they colluding?

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Riggs said:
I was kidding that he "needs" punished. I was making fun of the NHLPA, and their reaction to comments by players.

I agree with your comments on the NHLPA.

I apololgize if my comment was interpreted as reactionary. It was not meant to be so as I understood your comment to be a sarcastic one, directed against the NHLPA.

The NHLPA have had it too good over the last 10 years. Is it the owners' fault? Partly but the agents and players played a role in the current financial state of the game. The puck is the players' zone and time is running out (Dec.15 is my guess as to when the owners will cancel this season).

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Jets4Life said:

lets get off modano here. people are totally misinterpreting what he meant by what he said. what he basically said was that the salary he'd make for one game would pay to feed his dogs for a month...not really much of a stretch when you have a couple large dogs. People are acting as if he was stating that his entire paychecks from another league would only pay for his dogs food and therefore he was mocking the general public

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Bicycle Repairman said:

Hmmm,lets see, the NHL hired a very well respected accountant firm lead by the former securities & exchange commission chairman Arthur Levitt and he basicly said the league is toast if it continues pay these type of salaries and you say the league is "acting in bad faith"?? :banghead: get a grip man, the league is the only party to make any real offer for a new contract...six of them in fact

BTW, there is no colusion without a CBA in place. all 30 owners can huddle in a teepee and talk about how they can screw the players if they want!

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
T@T said:
Hmmm,lets see, the NHL hired a very well respected accountant firm lead by the former securities & exchange commission chairman Arthur Levitt and he basicly said the league is toast if it continues pay these type of salaries and you say the league is "acting in bad faith"?? :banghead: get a grip man, the league is the only party to make any real offer for a new contract...six of them in fact

BTW, there is no colusion without a CBA in place. all 30 owners can huddle in a teepee and talk about how they can screw the players if they want!

The Levitt Report has no bearing on Labor Relations rulings. It's got nothing to do with practices of Bad Faith Bargaining. The league is covertly threatening to replace the players without engaging in meaningful negotiations. You don't think Belkin's comments won't cause repercussions? The NHL thought so. They fined him!

The NHLPA is still the legally-recognized bargaining agent. You just can't ignore them and hope they go away.

Damn right it's collusion.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
The Levitt Report has no bearing on Labor Relations rulings. It's got nothing to do with practices of Bad Faith Bargaining. The league is covertly threatening to replace the players without engaging in meaningful negotiations. You don't think Belkin's comments won't cause repercussions? The NHL thought so. They fined him!

The NHLPA is still the legally-recognized bargaining agent. You just can't ignore them and hope they go away.

Damn right it's collusion.
It takes two sides to have meaningful negotiations. This is a game of chicken and chance with each side playing hard to get.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
It takes two sides to have meaningful negotiations. This is a game of chicken and chance with each side playing hard to get.

And the owners hold the cards. Just wait out the players.

The majority of players want to play hockey soon as most of them don't make 10M per season. It those players that have to force Goodenow's hand. Besides no player today is worth 8-12M per season. Which player scored 60 goals last season or put up 130 points. Even netminders don't deserve that much. They can thank the trap for their low goals against averages.

Unless you're a diehard fan, the problem is the game is less entertaining and that is reflected in lower attendance and TV revenue. The owners are just not getting good return on their investment.

YellHockey*

chara said:
Unless you're a diehard fan, the problem is the game is less entertaining and that is reflected in lower attendance and TV revenue.

Lower attendance and tv revenue?

Since when?

The NHL revenues are at the highest they've ever been.

Attendance and tv revenues have never been higher then they were last season.

But I guess if you're looking to back the owners, you've got to make things up.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
BlackRedGold said:
Attendance and tv revenues have never been higher then they were last season.

Attendance? Really?

From ESPN.com's NHL attendance figures:

00/01: 20,346,372
01/02: 20,613,591
02/03: 20,390,908
03/04: 19,012,074

Consider that the 03/04 # was artificially inflated by an extra 35-40 thousand due to the one shot deal of the Heritage Classic in Edmonton, and that number becomes even worse...over 1.4 million fewer fans than in previous years.

Never been higher? Hardly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->