Fellow USA fans...

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Does anybody here think about the time restrictions? If they played never ending OT, the scheduling of the tourney could have been a mess.

Nobody whined when the US won the bronze medal at the 2004 WC's in a shootout.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Hey, I had to watch the Devils lose in a shoot-out to the Rangers last night in a exciting game and now to hear the U.S. kids lose one in a much more important game does hurt. However, the sting isn't has bad because of the way they played.

After the first few games, some posters were calling these kids heartless and that wasn't fair then and it certainly isn't the case now. They played by the rules and lost in a shoot-out, just as long as it's never implemented in the NHL, I'm happy. However, my fear is that one-day it will be.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
We won. I'm glad. But dang, I still hate shootouts. How incredibly lame, to decide a great, hard-fought game with a cheap gimmick. Props to the USA. They sure as shoot could have won this thing.:bow:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Does anybody here think about the time restrictions? If they played never ending OT, the scheduling of the tourney could have been a mess.

Nobody whined when the US won the bronze medal at the 2004 WC's in a shootout.

I don't believe U.S fans are whining, it's just that such a hard fought playoff type game shouldn't end that way, but those are the rules they play by.

And as the game goes on, players get tired and make mistakes and a goal get's scored sooner then later.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I was very impressed by the Americans. Your future looks very bright indeed. I absolutely hate the way this ended, a shoot-out shouldn't decide any medal. :(

espo*

I don't believe U.S fans are whining, it's just that such a hard fought playoff type game shouldn't end that way, but those are the rules they play by.

And as the game goes on, players get tired and make mistakes and a goal get's scored sooner then later.

Overall the whining percentage has been pretty good.There has been some but not that much as most U.S fans have accepted the loss in good taste. There will always be a few bad apples but for the most part it's been really small.

I can't claim the same low percentage for fans of other teams of whom i won't mention.

Good job overall,anything less would have really taken away from the hard work your team did to come back and get back in this tournament.

Credit given where credit due to you guys.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
All I can hope is the U.S. doesn't fold AGAIN with an opportunity to win a medal. Suck it up boys and win the bronze!

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
it was a really hard fought game by both teams and i agree with many of you that it shouldn't have ended the way it did.

also, if you're going to make it a shootout format you shouldn't be able to use the same player more than once. that SO might as well have been Toews vs Mueller in 3 rounds to decide the game. it really doesn't reward you for having depth and i believe that Canada got lucky that they were able to go to the well with Toews over and over again.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
nope ... he's still a jack *** in my book ... and I'm an American
Well I did not mean in that sense. What I meant is many complained saying he looked real bad or has regressed. Seems like he is playing quite a bit better or that is what I was asking if he was, since I don't get to watch the games. I can definately understand why you or someone would think he is a jack *** but I was more commenting in regards to his play

fatsunny

Jan 22, 2005
I was ticked with JJ the first two games. Too selfish and too many mistakes on his part, but to his credit, he settled down, made good reads and played like a champion today. He and EJ playing within their game and not trying to do too much changed things for the US. Bottom line, JJ is extremely talented, just need to bottle it like he did today and he'll do the Kings well when he turns pro.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
i do feel the SO is a terrible way to end a game of that magnitude, but having the same players being able to shoot, time and time again is an even worse idea. towes was unbelieveable in the SO, and the reason why canada won the game.

Bam Beet*

yup. you work for your break, Usa got theirs with the puck being deflected by staal (i think) and in the net.

Canada got theirs by working harder in the 3rd and clamping down on D and geting that point shot on the PP.

OT was only lopsided because of the PP, Afterwards it was pretty much Canada pressing, the game had to end, shoot out did just that, in the end the better did win, and that's all it really comes down to.

You could see this coming with the schedule, I had a feeling Canada would sleep walk through this and get burnt, but they woke up.

I don't think so.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
i do feel the SO is a terrible way to end a game of that magnitude, but having the same players being able to shoot, time and time again is an even worse idea. towes was unbelieveable in the SO, and the reason why canada won the game.

It's just one of many dumb international rules.

1) Skate in the crease is an automatic whistle (and subsequent no goal if the puck enters the net).

2) Face-offs are done over if the player wins it with his skate, and said player is disallowed from taking the do-over.

3) Shootouts to decide elimination games.

4) Shooters are able to repeat after the first three shooters in a shootout.

5) ********* reffing in general.

I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I have no complaints or caveats about the shoot out loss. Those were the rules going in and all the teams knew it. I'm proud of the way the US team played the last couple of games, and I think Kane is an absolute star in the making. I also love the way guys like Okposo and Skille play the game. Chorney has improved a lot and I'm glad a kid like Sweat made the team because he showed he deserved it.

Congrats to Canada. Your team plays with skill and heart. Once again you've displayed that a 6 deep defensive corps can pretty much carry a team (oh and the forwards and goalie aren't shabby either).

Bourdon is a stud and I can't wait to see him in Vancouver. Good luck in the finals.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
It's just one of many dumb international rules.

1) Skate in the crease is an automatic whistle (and subsequent no goal if the puck enters the net).

2) Face-offs are done over if the player wins it with his skate, and said player is disallowed from taking the do-over.

3) Shootouts to decide elimination games.

4) Shooters are able to repeat after the first three shooters in a shootout.

5) ********* reffing in general.

I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of.

you forgot
-the team (even if they have a better record) has to be the away team, if they were home team the first time they played. HUH???? why do you play so hard to win, if they are going to make you the away team the second time around. :confused: :confused:

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
you forgot
-the team (even if they have a better record) has to be the away team, if they were home team the first time they played. HUH???? why do you play so hard to win, if they are going to make you the away team the second time around. :confused: :confused:

DAMMIT! That's the one I knew I was forgetting.

BH Prez

Jan 3, 2007
TV Hell

With such an incredible product why does the fanatical US hockey follower have to go through so much to see such a great game? And why into so few US living rooms? Even if you have NHL Centre Ice like me the WJC games are not listed anywhere on the DirecTV website. Todays game was painfully listed in the on screen guide well after the opening biscuit was dropped ruining any VCR plans. And the USA Hockey website itself removed the TV info from it`s site last night for some odd reason just to add to the US WJC fan`s pain. And why won`t NHL Centre Ice air all the TSN broadcasts? Anyway, Congrats to Canada and WOW, what a game this morning!

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
I was ticked with JJ the first two games. Too selfish and too many mistakes on his part, but to his credit, he settled down, made good reads and played like a champion today. He and EJ playing within their game and not trying to do too much changed things for the US. Bottom line, JJ is extremely talented, just need to bottle it like he did today and he'll do the Kings well when he turns pro.

EJ & JJ both turned their games around after the first two stinkers that USA had.

JJ was awesome today ... especially in the shootout. He made Price look bad on his goals. I was surprised that Rolston didn't put him out instead of Mueller as I thought his 2 previous shoot out goals beat Price more cleanly and that he really had Price's number.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I have no complaints or caveats about the shoot out loss. Those were the rules going in and all the teams knew it. I'm proud of the way the US team played the last couple of games, and I think Kane is an absolute star in the making. I also love the way guys like Okposo and Skille play the game. Chorney has improved a lot and I'm glad a kid like Sweat made the team because he showed he deserved it.

Congrats to Canada. Your team plays with skill and heart. Once again you've displayed that a 6 deep defensive corps can pretty much carry a team (oh and the forwards and goalie aren't shabby either).

Bourdon is a stud and I can't wait to see him in Vancouver. Good luck in the finals.

Ditto. This is very well said. Most will agree that itsn't a great way to end the hockey game, but everyone knows going in that there is a posibility if the game is tied. The US did have plenty of chance to win in OT..... but they didn't and life goes on.

Good luck to Team Canada - you diserved to win.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
At least, everyone agree that the game should never have ended that way.

I don't mind the shootout, but I think the IIHF should switch to the NHL's rule of having to go through the entire roster before a player can shoot again.

Having the same player shoot every time is boring and repetitive and it just makes it a battle of the best player on each team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad