Feet pain when skating hard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

doom2

Feb 12, 2005
Kuopio
So I bought some new Bauer skates after about 7-8 years of not skating or playing hockey, and I've been having a lot of fun, that's for sure.
What's bothering me is that I get pain in both of my feet when skating hard. The pain quickly fades away if I stop skating. I don't know what causes this, but it surely bugs me, when we're playing I have to stop quite often because the pain is just too much to bear. After 30sec-1min of standing still or skating slowly the pain goes away and I can go back into the game.
The skates fit my feet rather well. The pain is in the outer side of my feet, just a little behind my pinky toes, and it kinda feels like something is squeezing my feet so that it hurts. And I don't think it's that I have my skates laced up too tight, they're quite loose actually.
Any ideas what could be causing this, and how to get rid of it?

pei islander

Aug 21, 2005
canada
my feet hurt all the time to.i figure because im one of those freaky dudes who have flat feet!!!!if you have flat feet that could be your problem? :eek:

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Do your skates up nice and tight, it might be lace-burn. I got that, it'll go away if you skate alot often. Otherwise you can goto a hockey shop and get a sponge that makes it less painfull.

doom2

Feb 12, 2005
Kuopio
So today I tried wearing 2 pairs of socks, since a friend of mine said he had a somewhat similar problem, and it works for him. I tried it, the skates fit my feet pretty tight, didn't have to tighten up the laces hardly at all. For a moment it felt pretty good actually... then comes the pain. Only this time, it was worse, by far, and it was hurting all of the time, instead of just when skating. I took the other pair of socks off, tightened my skates like I always do, and it felt a LOT better, still it hurt when skating hard.
So the pain with the socks probably came from the skates being too tight (even though I didn't lace them up tight, the extra pair of socks made them so). So I'm kinda thinking maybe I in fact DO lace my skates up too tight. But then again, I always try to tighten them very little, just to the point that my feet don't wobble.
Then I thought, maybe my skates are too narrow for my foot. But they're 9 EE, and EE means wide, D narrow? Perhaps even the wide Bauer shoe isn't wide enough for my foot... ? I guess I'll have to try some other brand next time.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
doom2 said:
So today I tried wearing 2 pairs of socks, since a friend of mine said he had a somewhat similar problem, and it works for him. I tried it, the skates fit my feet pretty tight, didn't have to tighten up the laces hardly at all. For a moment it felt pretty good actually... then comes the pain. Only this time, it was worse, by far, and it was hurting all of the time, instead of just when skating. I took the other pair of socks off, tightened my skates like I always do, and it felt a LOT better, still it hurt when skating hard.
So the pain with the socks probably came from the skates being too tight (even though I didn't lace them up tight, the extra pair of socks made them so). So I'm kinda thinking maybe I in fact DO lace my skates up too tight. But then again, I always try to tighten them very little, just to the point that my feet don't wobble.
Then I thought, maybe my skates are too narrow for my foot. But they're 9 EE, and EE means wide, D narrow? Perhaps even the wide Bauer shoe isn't wide enough for my foot... ? I guess I'll have to try some other brand next time.

What size shoe do you wear?

falcor

Jul 30, 2005
www.wetalk.tv
I have the same problem. I skate for about 1/2 hr and if i slow down(to keep up w/my kid) or stand still for any length of time, my feet hurt sooo bad. just on the outside and underneath of my pinkie toes. ive tried tightening my skates, ive tried loosening them. nothing works. matter of fact, it takes about 5-10 minutes after i take my skates off for my feet to feel better. maybe i'll try thinner socks or something.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Have you baked them yet? Most shops do it, but I did it myself at home. Electric ovens work the best. I cut a piece of corrigated card board to place my skate on so its not touching the metal racks. I heated the oven to about 150 and placed one skate at a time for just about two minuets. any more than that and it will get too hot to put on your foot and will mess up the glues holding the boot together. Anyway pull it out when its hot to the touch and lace up tight. Do the other one and walk around or stand in them for about twenty minuets to allow the boot to mold to your foot. Dont play in them for a good 24 hours after you do this so the glues re-set and cure.
Like I said most shops do it and if you do it yourself most warrantys by the boot maker will be void. if you bought these skates at a shop they should do it for free or a very small fee.
This pain happened to me too and seemed to be worse for a good ten minuets after I took the skates off. but not any more.

doom2

Feb 12, 2005
Kuopio
synergy27 said:
What size shoe do you wear?
I wear size 9 or 9½ shoes.
GGmang said:
Are you flatfooted?
No.

I haven't baked the skates, maybe i'll try that. 150 degrees, celsius or fahrenheit? (I'm thinking celsius since 150 fahrenheit isn't that hot... just asking to be sure though, I don't want to ruin the skates.)

CheeseSandwich*

doom2 said:

The thing is that skates just aren't as comfortable as shoes. I've never been comfortable in skates but have played hockey all my life.

Apparently the best skates for comfort, and allround, are GRAF's.

They are the most expensive skates though and that's why I've never tried them. But I plan to.

CheeseSandwich*

doom2 said:

No.

I haven't baked the skates, maybe i'll try that. 150 degrees, celsius or fahrenheit? (I'm thinking celsius since 150 fahrenheit isn't that hot... just asking to be sure though, I don't want to ruin the skates.)

150 celcius will melt the plastic. He means farenheit.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
absolutly no hotter than 170F. and just a few minuets you don't want to melt anything. your right its not hot just enought to warm and soften the boot. Good Luck

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
doom2 said:

No.

if u are gonna bake the skates i suggest go to ur local sports store and get them baked professionaly in a skate oven

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
golleafsgo_17 said:
if u are gonna bake the skates i suggest go to ur local sports store and get them baked professionaly in a skate oven
Your right thats the best way to go! But if you have to you can do it yourself. My bauer 20's came with do it yourself directions, with the disclaimer of course that you warrenty will be voided if not done profesionally.
But your right if your a novice and don't understand the concept of baking your boots leave it to the pro's.

falcor

Jul 30, 2005
www.wetalk.tv
i remember hearing someone talking about taking a bath w/their skates on, then leaving them on for a while. does this work like baking them?

~my missions were supposed to be bake skates, but the store didn't offer to bake them, and i didn't know how to do it. thanks! (do you take the blade or the insole out? or just put them in the oven as is?)

CheeseSandwich*

put them in the oven as is.

Then take them out and put them on for like 20 mins.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
I didhn't read the whole thread so i dohn't know if someohne mehntiohned this.. but you should always make sure that you don't tightehn the bottom part of your skates too tight.. leave them a little looser at the bottom ahnd tie the top laces tighter

doom2

Feb 12, 2005
Kuopio
4 nipple finn said:
I didhn't read the whole thread so i dohn't know if someohne mehntiohned this.. but you should always make sure that you don't tightehn the bottom part of your skates too tight.. leave them a little looser at the bottom ahnd tie the top laces tighter
Hmm... the lower ones are the ones I usually tighten more than others... I'll try that tomorrow, thanks. If it works, I'll punch myself in the face for not figuring that out by myself :)

Joeysallamander

Nov 28, 2005
I have flat feet and they hurt for about two months everytime I had the skates on.
It almost felt like a muscle cramp in my arches.
Now the pain is gone. Maybe my feel got used to it?
Or maybe I broke my skates in?
I wear Bauer XIV and a cotton super thin sock that is more like gauze.
I lace my skates very tight too.
So maybe your feet will get used to the skates.

doom2

Feb 12, 2005
Kuopio
Joeysallamander said:
I have flat feet and they hurt for about two months everytime I had the skates on.
It almost felt like a muscle cramp in my arches.
Now the pain is gone. Maybe my feel got used to it?
Or maybe I broke my skates in?
I wear Bauer XIV and a cotton super thin sock that is more like gauze.
I lace my skates very tight too.
So maybe your feet will get used to the skates.
Yeah, the pain feels like the bottoms of my feet are cramping... I don't have flat feet though (at least I think I don't :confused: ). Well, maybe the same will happen to me, feet get used to it or skates get broken in.

weezman

doom2 said:
Yeah, the pain feels like the bottoms of my feet are cramping... I don't have flat feet though (at least I think I don't :confused: ). Well, maybe the same will happen to me, feet get used to it or skates get broken in.

I recently bought a new pair of Bauers and I have the same pain at times. I used to have the leather boot and I switched to these new synthetic ones. The guy at the shop told me that they are typically less comfortable than the leather boot.

I'd say if you switched from the leather to the synthetic material + didn't get them molded at the shop that would be whats making your feet ache.

What I have found helps is to heat them up and wear them a lot. I got mine heated up and wore them for about an hour, relacing them up every 20 minutes. It cut down on the discomfort but it hasn't really ever gone away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad