Feedback on Draft Guides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
What is out there that people have seen, and what are your thoughts on the various products?

I have the Red Line guide.

Red Line- Again, for my money- the best thing out there year after year.

They created the format that others copy. Yes, they get bashed around here on the boards, usually because fans tend take personally some of the comments the RLR scouts make about their favorite players.

Hey- it all boils down to taste. Some like myself and Flames Draft Watcher (and others I'm sure), who have been long-time subscribers, always enjoy the coverage they provide each season and the culmination of their annual draft issue. Others can't stand RLR and take every opportunity to criticize their work. It's all good- life is about choices, and how boring would life be if all we had were the Central rankings to digest each year?

It's worth the dough- even though some don't like their 'pithy' sayings- positive and negative- about the players. But, if you are looking for a flashy product filled with photos, stats and all the other extraneous bull, then this is not for you. It is information- nothing more. And if you are enough of a draftnik to want the details, this is a great place to start.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
I have Red Line's draft guide, and have seen Young Guns and McKeen's:

This is my first year getting the Red Line Guide, and I agree that raw information and strong opinions are it's strength, but I think it's extraordinarily self-congratulatory. I can understand people not liking some of the things they say about the prospects (i.e. 'stupid', 'dumb', 'head made of cement'), but I imagine that scouts actually do dscribe players that way, so I don't think they are going out of their way to do it. My verdict: The best guide out there this year, but really comes across like Red Line has never made a mistake, and toots it's own horn at every opportunity.

McKeen's: Well, I had a bad experience with McKeen's a while back, but they do put out some good info. I think their presentation is incomplete (not enough basic, raw stats/data on players), but most of the scouting info on players in their top 100 comes directly from scouts, with little to no interpretation or prettying-up, which is interesting. You can draw your own conclusions, but in many cases, there is no 'summary' per se, which may be a plus to some readers. A few trusted hockey friends who are more knowledgeable than I don't like their European rankings at all.

Young Guns: I actually enjoy their draft pack, and the price is right. What's interesting for me this year is Volume 2, due out soon, which is supposed to take an in-depth look at how teams come up with their draft lists. As far as player evaluations, I've heard people comment either way on them.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, as I don't get to see any of these prospects myself, so I have no personal viewings upon which to agree/disagree with their assesments. I'm going more on how the information is presented, etc.

Upside

Jul 15, 2005
I have McKeen's and I have to say while they have put information out the last 2 weeks they did basically nothing draft list wise for the two months before that. For this reason and others I will not pay them money again once my subscription ends.
I find their "scouting" reports to be kind of weak in the the whl ones are more game reviews rather than anything of use about upside and progression.
Their Czech guy is solid though.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Upside said:
I have McKeen's and I have to say while they have put information out the last 2 weeks they did basically nothing draft list wise for the two months before that. For this reason and others I will not pay them money again once my subscription ends.
I find their "scouting" reports to be kind of weak in the the whl ones are more game reviews rather than anything of use about upside and progression.
Their Czech guy is solid though.
I agree on the WHL reports in McKeen's. Getting a LOT of single-play descriptions (often conflicting) is NOT a scouting report. OHL reports are solid though and the Czech scout is outstanding. Max does a surprisingly good job with US players.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Young Guns - report is a good read.. but Volume II

will be the icing if it outlines team needs, prior trends toward OHL,Q or WHL,

Looking forward to it and it was only $10 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad