Feed back on Marc Staal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
...from those who have seen him play.

Do you think he has what it takes to play in the NHL next year? Or should he be back in juniors for at least another year?

Last edited by a moderator:

littleguybigstik

Feb 12, 2006
every sudbury game i have watched staal has been easily the best player on the ice. he moves very well for 6' 4". Has alot of his brothers moves with the puck. Dangles it pretty well for a dman. Sudbury even uses him in the shootouts cuz of his amazing skill. He will easily make the rangers next season, with his speed, perfect positioning and crisp passing. Cant wait to see what he does in an offensive system like the rangers vs the sudburys defense style.
Its not fluke that he is the captain of the wolves and was captain of the all star team. I dont think he is over rated and seems like alot of chl coaches dont over rate him either.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Balej's Dance said:
Why is he overrated?

probably because the guy saying that is a Cannucks fan and wants to put down Staal and pimp Bourdon as the best D-man in the draft

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Levitate said:
probably because the guy saying that is a Cannucks fan and wants to put down Staal and pimp Bourdon as the best D-man in the draft

Definetly... Because Canucks fans don't have their own opinions right?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I saw Staal play in a couple Rangers preseason games. He definitely had the skills to play in the NHL. But at the time, his decision making still needed work. He looked over anxious, was rushing decisions and went out of position to make hits. It may well have just been nerves, as he was fresh out of the draft and already playing against NHL level competition. But at the time, I didn't think he was ready and would benefit more from playing the season in juniors. I don't know how much he's progressed over the season in that regard, though. But I think there's a good chance he would benefit most from playing another season in juniors next year. Not that he couldn't play in the NHL, but he'd be a better player in the longrun if he waited another season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Russian_fanatic said:

nope :)

Seph said:
I saw Staal play in a couple Rangers preseason games. He definitely had the skills to play in the NHL. But at the time, his decision making still needed work. He looked over anxious, was rushing decisions and went out of position to make hits. It may well have just been nerves, as he was fresh out of the draft and already playing against NHL level competition. But at the time, I didn't think he was ready and would benefit more from playing the season in juniors. I don't know how much he's progressed over the season in that regard, though. But I think there's a good chance he would benefit most from playing another season in juniors next year. Not that he couldn't play in the NHL, but he'd be a better player in the longrun if he waited another season.

i feel like staal is one of those players that kind of gets screwed by the AHL/CHL thing. the best thing for him would probably be to go to the AHL next year, but he can't. it doesn't seem like he's gonna get a whole lot out of another year in juniors at this point, but the NHL *could* be a bit of a jump. the AHL would probably be perfect, but no...

i'm sure he'll get evaluated at camp and if he plays like he deserves a spot, he'll get one

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
If Staal plays in NY next year, he becomes a UFA at 26 instead of 27 (based on having 7 years of service). If I'm Sather, I'd have to be VERY certain that he was ready to be a major contributor.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Levitate said:
i feel like staal is one of those players that kind of gets screwed by the AHL/CHL thing. the best thing for him would probably be to go to the AHL next year, but he can't. it doesn't seem like he's gonna get a whole lot out of another year in juniors at this point, but the NHL *could* be a bit of a jump. the AHL would probably be perfect, but no...

i'm sure he'll get evaluated at camp and if he plays like he deserves a spot, he'll get one
I agree. The AHL would be the best place for him next year, and it's a shame he can't play there. Juniors will likely be too easy, and you don't want to see him pick up bad habits on things that he can get away in juniors, but won't fly in the bigs. But getting bottom pairing minutes in the NHL won't help him much and he's at the age where you want him to see as much ice as possible. Plus, in the AHL he could get the occasional call up for games here and there, and get better acquainted with the speed of the NHL game.

I guess I just think it's very risky having him play in the NHL next season. You only have a ten game window to return him to juniors, which might be enough time to figure it out, but if you pass that window, and he later shows he's not ready, you can't really do anything about it and it's a season of development potentially lost. The best thing might be to play him for 9 games in the NHL, then return him to juniors and let him dominate for a year.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Seph said:
I agree. The AHL would be the best place for him next year, and it's a shame he can't play there. Juniors will likely be too easy, and you don't want to see him pick up bad habits on things that he can get away in juniors, but won't fly in the bigs. But getting bottom pairing minutes in the NHL won't help him much and he's at the age where you want him to see as much ice as possible. Plus, in the AHL he could get the occasional call up for games here and there, and get better acquainted with the speed of the NHL game.

I guess I just think it's very risky having him play in the NHL next season. You only have a ten game window to return him to juniors, which might be enough time to figure it out, but if you pass that window, and he later shows he's not ready, you can't really do anything about it and it's a season of development potentially lost. The best thing might be to play him for 9 games in the NHL, then return him to juniors and let him dominate for a year.
\

He might get a few games in this season for the Rangers the organization has hinted, after this Junior season ends.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Would the rules allow him to get 10 games in with the Rangers this season and next season or is it just a total of 10 NHL games period. It would be great if he could play both this season and next. Getting a few games in at Hartford would also be good for him. I think just having the chance to have him play at a higher level would help the Rangers get a better handle on where he should be next year.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Russian_fanatic said:

No problem with you having an opinion, but why does running down another teams prospect have to be a part of it. Lowers your credibility.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
RangerBoy said:
Or he may join Hartford on a try out.Get a feel of the players and coaches

That is what i'm hoping for. I see no reason to throw Staal into a NHL playoff mix so soon. No need to put even more added pressure on him.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
J17ster said:
Actually, Marc doesnt have an older brother. According to hfboards, its Eric Stall.

LOL. Glad I'm not the only one misspelling that name.

Skroob*

Levitate said:
nope :)

as an alternative option, would sending him to the SEL or RSL do any good? or more harm?

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Skroob said:
as an alternative option, would sending him to the SEL or RSL do any good? or more harm?

That is an interesting idea actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->