Federko vs Francis

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
These are two players who I feel never got the credit that they deserved. I got a pretty good feeling that there is going to be a pretty wide disparity for Francis. Federko was a great player in his own right who retired in his early thirties and put up some very impressive numbers deserving of the HOF especially when you look at some of the poor teams he played for.

I know that this isnt probably going tobe even close but I do want to see how people feel about Federko. In his prime I would put him up against Ron Francis and he would hold his own

Flame away

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Francis for me. Two Cups can atest to the fact that he was more of a winner than Federko. Plus the controversy surrounding Federko of when he made the Hall of Fame, I dont think Francis will get that kind of chilly reception. Francis wasnt GREAT, but very consistent and a better version of Mike Gartner throughout his career.

Ogopogo*

c-carp said:
These are two players who I feel never got the credit that they deserved. I got a pretty good feeling that there is going to be a pretty wide disparity for Francis. Federko was a great player in his own right who retired in his early thirties and put up some very impressive numbers deserving of the HOF especially when you look at some of the poor teams he played for.

I know that this isnt probably going tobe even close but I do want to see how people feel about Federko. In his prime I would put him up against Ron Francis and he would hold his own

Flame away

Neither was that great. They were both very good players but they should not be talked about like they are all-time greats.

Although, Francis was a great playmaker but, he isn't a top 100 player of all time

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Francis would be the better player if you didn't take into consideration the terrific defensive play, the wizardry on faceoffs or the leadership. When you take those into consideration, it's no contest. Francis was a point-per-game player well into his 30s, too, at a time when scoring was 5.5 points-per-game, proving he could get the job done at any time.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I too have to go with Francis based on his stronger defensive play, but Federko is very underrated and deserving of his place in the Hall. Check out Mark Hunter`s numbers the seasons he had Federko as a linemate compared to the rest of his career. Bernie had the ability to turn average players into goalscorers. Very consistent throughout his career and his production didn`t drop at playoff time. I`ve said this before, if Federko played for Toronto or New York, he would`ve made the Hall long before he did and nobody would`ve questioned it.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Francis, but I do think Federko belongs in the hall. His playoff PPG is like top 10 all-time or something like that. Yes, it was a higher scoring era, but then why are Robitaille, Savard, Yzerman, Hawerchuk, Gilmour, Clarke, Trottier, FRANCIS, Oates, Dionne, Hull etc etc trailing Federko when it comes to scoring rate in the tough post-season? He wasn't blessed with the teams those guys had so he never won a cup.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Ron Francis is among the top two way players I've ever seen. Fine leader as well. And he had several great playoff performances. Listen to the comparisons on draft day...everyone is looking for the next Ron Francis.

Bernie Federko was a fine player and I could see some similarities but RF has done more and over a longer period.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Chili said:
Ron Francis is among the top two way players I've ever seen. Fine leader as well. And he had several great playoff performances. Listen to the comparisons on draft day...everyone is looking for the next Ron Francis.

Bernie Federko was a fine player and I could see some similarities but RF has done more and over a longer period.

Plus he is like 2nd all time in assists and like 4th in points

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
reckoning said:
I too have to go with Francis based on his stronger defensive play, but Federko is very underrated and deserving of his place in the Hall. Check out Mark Hunter`s numbers the seasons he had Federko as a linemate compared to the rest of his career. Bernie had the ability to turn average players into goalscorers. Very consistent throughout his career and his production didn`t drop at playoff time. I`ve said this before, if Federko played for Toronto or New York, he would`ve made the Hall long before he did and nobody would`ve questioned it.
I agree 100%.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I know that cups are important, but if you put Federko on thoose Penguin teams that Francis went to I can almost guarantee he would have a ring or two as well.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
God Bless Canada said:
Francis would be the better player if you didn't take into consideration the terrific defensive play, the wizardry on faceoffs or the leadership. When you take those into consideration, it's no contest. Francis was a point-per-game player well into his 30s, too, at a time when scoring was 5.5 points-per-game, proving he could get the job done at any time.

VERY well put. :clap:

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
CRUNK JUICE said:
VERY well put. :clap:
I understand that Francis longevity will give him an edge here as well as playing for some great teams in Pitt. I just think that if you take both of their primes and consider they are similar players who are disrespected for their abilities in many circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad