Federal Judges Blast NCAA’s Amateurism Model

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

The judge is missing a very important piece (besides the fact that they are students who play sports), no college football or basketball fan buys a ticket or turns on the TV to watch a specific athlete. College sports is all about rooting for the laundry and couldn't care less who is in the jerseys.

You could replace every current NCAA football and basketball player today and viewership/revenues wouldn't suffer

Reactions: oknazevad and JMCx4

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
The judge is missing a very important piece (besides the fact that they are students who play sports), no college football or basketball fan buys a ticket or turns on the TV to watch a specific athlete. College sports is all about rooting for the laundry and couldn't care less who is in the jerseys.

You could replace every current NCAA football and basketball player today and viewership/revenues wouldn't suffer
Then coaches should be volunteers and no Luxery boxes

Then why not just make it all club sports?

Reactions: sabremike

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Then why not just make it all club sports?

That's just "resetting" the same system.

Club sports fund-raise. Club sports sell tickets. Club sports recruit. Club sports have the exact same business model as the NCAA, and high school, and Little League.

ESPN came along and said "there's like nothing on TV in the summer but MLB... let's put the Little League World Series on." And Little League took the money because why wouldn't they? They can do good things with it and make it a better experience for the kids.

You eliminate college sports and say "Club Sports Only." And all you're doing is taking the leadership away from adults (most of whom are qualified at sports management) and putting it in the hands of college students instead.

Colleges would have big empty arenas and stadiums after we ban intercollegiate athletic departments and make it all club sports. Athletics doesn't let club teams play on those, but once athletics is eliminated, who else is playing there? So they play there.

They'd sell tickets because they can. If someone wants to watch, free money, and they play in stadiums with turnstiles now instead of a field.

They also fundraise. They'd use that money to buy uniforms, pay for travel, hire athletic trainers for treatment. It's a lot of organizational stuff for the leaders, but the club football team sold enough tickets they can give the Team Organizer a salary, so he can all that stuff better.

But the other club teams are like "wish we could afford that!" Wait, what if all our teams fund-raise together and hire one person to do that for multiple teams!" Now you've got WELL-ORGANIZED club teams.

Meanwhile, ESPN and the other networks have a ton of empty time slots after college sports got turned into club sports. Wouldn't the same people who watched Ohio State vs Michigan football watch their club teams play? Let's put the Ohio State/Michigan CLUB football game on TV!

ESPN pays for that, so the club teams can hire more staff. They can all be full time, working out of an office together. They can call up similar schools and say "Let's make an agreement to always play each other in every sport we have, every season, alternating years." And now there are club conferences. ESPN would love to put the championship on TV...

And you get the idea. That's just college sports. Evolving the exact same way, again. The dollars got so big that NCAA sports SEEM dirty. And people who lack moral standards do slimy things. But that's the case at all levels of everything, not just sports.

And BBB is totally right: the TALENT doesn't matter. I want my school to beat anyone we play, period.

Think of the EA Sports player overall ratings. When Kobe and LeBron skipped college, and good players leave for the NBA, the overall talent level in college basketball CLEARLY WENT DOWN. But no one cares.

It doesn't matter if there's no more 99s and the best players are 82s. I want my team to be the best players available and to beat other teams. Because my school is special to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad