February Mock Draft 2023

NomadSports94

Feb 14, 2023
Here is what I think is going to unfold for the draft lottery teams as of today, this list will change as the standings change and prospects rise and fall. Ran tankathon for the order:

1: Vancouver Canucks - Connor Bedard: In my opinion the top 3 of this draft is set and there is not much anyone can do to interrupt how these three should unfold. Canucks somehow won on tankathon and draft hometown generational talent Bedard.
2: Anaheim Ducks - Adam Fantilli: What are the odds that as soon as Getzlaf calls it quits the Ducks replace him with a player who projects to be a better version of him.
3: Columbus Blue Jackets - Leo Carlsson: The real "losers" of this draft, honestly I dont feel too bad, they got Jiricek last year, signed a bunch of high end free agents and fell apart. They still however score an amazing talent in Carlsson who can realistically step into a middle 6 role this fall.
4: Chicago Blackhawks - Will Smith: I was on the fence with this one and honestly it might change by tomorrow. Michkov is a top 3 talent, but the russian factor plus his contract are going to scare teams, the Blackhawks probably still have harsh feelings after Panarin, however this is no slight on Smith, he is a top line quality centre and will get some amazing development at BC as Chicago should be bottom dwellers a few more seasons.
5: Arizona Coyotes - Matvei Michkov: The Coyotes should unplug the phone, and sprint to the stage for Michkov, when he steps into the NHL in 3 years he will be a 90 point player, forget all the nonsense regarding "play away from the puck" amd whatnot, this kid is gifted in the offensive zone.
6: San Jose Sharks - Axel Sandin-Pellinka: This one was just as tough as the Will Smith pick, the reason i went with ASP is that the San Jose Sharks have some amazing forward prospects but are lacking on a game breaking defenceman, Reinbacher could be in play from this pick on but Reinbacher is a more shutdown 40-50 point guy whereas ASP is Karlsson-lite and is simply electric on his edges and with the puck
7: Montreal Canadiens - Zach Benson: I know Canadien fans you want someone with size like a Dvorsky or Sale but Benson is a top 5 talent caught in a very deep top 10, what he is doing in the WHL is absolutely amazing and next year he will tear that league apart and should do well at the World Juniors as well
8: St. Louis Blues - Ryan Leonard: This kid is a stud, he was only in my top 20 coming into this year but what hes being doing for the USNDTP is truly worthy of a top 10 pick and is only overshadowed by Will Smith
9: Philadelphia Flyers - David Reinbacher: This is where Reinbacher's fall or rise ends depending on who you ask, what he is doing in the NLA is better than Roman Josi, plus he is 6'2 and a RHD
10: Ottawa Senators - Eduard Sale: Another victim of one of the deepest top 10s in recent memories, Sale is having a very good season in the Czech League and in another 2-3 years he is going to fit on a line with Stutzle very, very nicely
11: New York Islanders - Brayden Yager: This is a tough spot for New York, this pick is top 12 protected but New York can still opt to it to Vancouver, if they keep it the 2024 pick is unprotected, i have them keeping it and grabbing another WHL talent in Yager
12: Montreal Canadiens - Colby Barlow: You want size, well you grab the kid who plays like MacTavish, Barlow is going to be a 60-70 point wrecking ball in someones top 6
13: Detroit Red Wings - Dmitri Simashev: Simashev is the best defensive defenseman in this draft, hes 6'4 and responsible in his own end, I cant imagine teams would be happy to go out against a pairing of Simashev-Seider for 28 minutes a night for 15 years
14: Buffalo Sabres - Andrew Cristall: Buffalo is playing with house money here, they have a deep prospect pool and have taken a really big step in the right direction, Cristall i;s a shifty winger tearing apart the WHL along with Bedard, Benson, and Yager
15: Nashville Predators - Oliver Moore: Nashville might have the steal of the top 15 here, Moore is part of the USNDTP "Big 3" with Smith and Leonard
16: Calgary Flames - Nate Danielsson: If Calgary actually finishes just outside the playoffs I expect them to trade down or for immediate help, but in this situation they grab probably the most pro-ready C and high floor guy in Nate, Danielsson is going to be a middle 6 forward for someone for a very long time

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
As a habs fan , I’d gladly take Benson + Barlow!

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Benson - Dach - Barlow
Mesar - Beck - Roy

Let’s gooooo!!

Reactions: Doublechin

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Appreciate your post but I don’t see a possible scenario where MG takes an offensive Dman over a potential 1st line forward with the talent of Benson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad