Injury Report: Feb. 21: Michael Del Zotto to have wrist surgery (Feb. 26); out 3-to-4 months

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How about..

Streit-Gudas
MacDonald-Ghost
Schultz-Medvedev

Streit and Gudas have both shown they can play 20 minutes a night. Playing on the left for once would make things easier on Streit defensively.

Mac just needs to play a safe solid game and let Ghost do his thing. They looked solid together in their AHL games.

Schultz and Meds compliment each other style wise. Meds would have more liberty to take chances with a stay at home partner.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Streit has shown he can play 20 mins/night definitely in the past......but not this year. He's been pretty bad this year

Im sure coming back from a detached pubic plate is just a walk in the park.

Hes also been saddled with Schultz and Medvedev.

I think Streit-Gudas could make it work.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
Im sure coming back from a detached pubic plate is just a walk in the park.

Hes also been saddled with Schultz and Medvedev.

I think Streit-Gudas could make it work.

I didn't say it was a walk in the park...but idk how you could've watched him play at all this year and think he could handle 20 mins a night against the hardest competition regularly. Plus Gudas has been brutal the past few weeks, that pairing would be a disaster IMO but to each his own I guess

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Reality is, there is no good solution or lineup you can make that makes it good. Everyone but Ghost should be bottom pairing Dmen.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I didn't say it was a walk in the park...but idk how you could've watched him play at all this year and think he could handle 20 mins a night against the hardest competition regularly. Plus Gudas has been brutal the past few weeks, that pairing would be a disaster IMO but to each his own I guess

There is no easy answer.

Do you want Ghost playing as a #1 already? Probably not.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Ghost isn't gonna be a #1. He'll be a very good 2nd pairing d man and PP QB. Prov, Sanheim and Morin are our #1 candidates.

So we got that going for us. Which is nice.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Really puts a damper on the trade deadline. Can't really afford to move Shultz, streit or Medvedev. Unless hextall is ready to give Morin, Hagg or Alt a go. This is a huge blow for the shape of the team deadline day and next year.

Just don't see much desire for any of them at the draft. All really are just rentals or bridges for teams.

We're killing time now, bring in some waiver-wire stuff like Kindl to take their place.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
@JohnBorukCSN:Just talked with Michael Del Zotto. Doesn't sound like he'll play again this season. "You'll know soon enough" - MDZ

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If he misses a month we'd likely be out of the playoffs, so he may as well miss two and be 100% for his contract year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
@JohnBorukCSN:Just talked with Michael Del Zotto. Doesn't sound like he'll play again this season. "You'll know soon enough" - MDZ

Awful news. We had a real shot at a playoff spot if not for Coots and noe MDZ going down.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
That does suck, I was enjoying this season from him. I'm still a fan of keeping him. I think he could be a really good Vet for the kids, he can skate/pass/shoot. I think he can be like a Timonen, a solid 30-40 pts.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
If he misses a month we'd likely be out of the playoffs, so he may as well miss two and be 100% for his contract year.

Sounds like wrist surgery, he'll definitely be out for the year. Pity, he's been having a strong season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
His point totals might have suffered from this wrist injury which has been going on since before Christmas. Last season his wrister from the left circle was lethal.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
For me I don't even care about the lack of points this year. He cleaned up defensively a lot this year to the point where he's actually more of a valuable piece this year than he was last year.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
His point totals might have suffered from this wrist injury which has been going on since before Christmas. Last season his wrister from the left circle was lethal.

makes total sense...kind of forgot about mdz offensively because of ghost...its going to be great when we get both of those guys shooting at their best.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
MICHAEL DEL ZOTTO & JORDAN WEAL
Hextall announced that defenseman Michael Del Zotto is going to have surgery on his wrist on Friday, Feb. 26.

“He’s getting a ligament repaired in his wrist… He will be out 3-4 months.”

Del Zotto led the Flyers in average time-on-ice this season at over 23 minutes per-game (23:24) which is the most in his eight-year NHL career. Prior to his injury, he had four goals and 13 points in 52 games.

Forward Jordan Weal has a week and a half to go to recover from his upper-body injury.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=805213

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Hopefully he'll be 100 percent next year and can put up some points while still being solid defensively like he was this year.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Del Zotto's a big loss. Anytime you lose a guy who's playing 23 to 24 minutes a night, that's going to be tough to digest. As others have pointed out, it's about coming back in the fall, wrist full healthy and ready to go. Was very impressed with how he embraced the shut down role this role, which I'm wondering maybe he did so because he knew something was wrong with his wrist. Either way, it's a big loss to have a guy like that gone from the blue line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad