Feb 1- WHL - Blades vs. Rebels (Schenn, Hamilton,Nugent-Hopkins)

neoen

Jan 24, 2009
I attended the WHL game last night between the Saskatoon Blades, and Red Deer Rebels. The Blades came in on a 5 game winning streak, while the Rebels came in on an 11 game winning streak. Blades came out on top 7-5. Very high paced game, possibly one of the best non-WJHC junior game I've been to in the past 3 years. Few very noticable players on the ice last night, I've made a few notes below.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (RD) - Very impressive. Has some good hands, and in my books should go top 5 this year. I haven't got to watch Sean Couturier yet, but by last nights performance, RNH should have been on the world junior team, not Couturier. Team that would LOVE to get this guy? Edmonton, enough said.

Curtis Hamilton (SAS) - Hamilton has shined this past year, and his spot on the junior team confirmed that. If Edmonton decides to use him next season he would look very good on a line with either Hall or Eberle, and maybe even Nugent-Hopkins.

Josh Nicholls (SAS) - Very, very impressed with Josh Nicholls. Props go to the Leafs staff for identifying Josh, and picking him in the 7th round. He shows alot of energy, excitement, and speed on the ice, and really has made the Blades have two top lines. Leaf fans should be really excited about this prospect. I dont think he is getting much attention due to playing in the DUB.

Brayden Schenn (SAS) - No word to describe him. Most dominant player on the ice last night. Plays extremely hard on the puck. When he has it, good luck getting it away from him. He came into the game scoreless at home, however, when faced with a challenge of a top team he came through with 2 goals and an assist. Easily could have been more. LA has a gem, and its understandable why every team should be inquiring about him! Personally I would give a high-mid prospect, and a top 10 pick for him right now.

Shock of the Night
Marek Viedensky (SAS) - San Jose also found a gem in the 7th round. Marek looks very good, and could probably fit into an NHL team right now. If a team makes a deal with San Jose at the deadline, Marek is someone they may want in a deal. His PK skills are VERY scary, and it seems like he is good for 1-2 short handed breakaways per game. San Jose must have a good scout in the Saskatoon region, due to current success with the team. (Setoguchi)

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
Who was Nicholls playing with? What are the Blades lines looking like now that they acquired Schenn?

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
Schenn took a big open ice hit, left down the run way momentarily and was right back into the game as if nothing happened. Should prove to any doubters that his toughness can not be questioned. I agree, totally dominant and exactly what Saskatoon needed from a fan perspective. They've been without a bonafide franchise player for a while, someone to bring in the fans... Well, the last few games the fans have been coming.....

Elliott is amazing. Great vision, excellent hands and has become a dominant threat from the back end.

RNH was kept relatively at bay considering the score, 1g 1 a and -3. Schenner was 2g 1a +1 and dominant.

Playoff atmosphere. The Blades are the real deal this year guys, they have strength in all four lines.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
Who was Nicholls playing with? What are the Blades lines looking like now that they acquired Schenn?

Since Schenn's come over, from what I see, it's taken heat off some of the 2nd and 3rd line scoring. They've become far more effective because everyone's watching Schenn's line... Problem is, with Saskatoon's depth teams are running out of players to keep all four lines at bay.

It was an absolute brilliant move bringing Schenn in, not to mention personally for Schenn, bringing him back home. That does a lot for a kids morale.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Blades lines:

Hamilton-Schenn-Trask
Collins-Viedensky-Nicholls
Dziurzynski-Benson-Stransky
Sutter/A.Elliott-Olsen-Bews

Siemens-Elliott
Zahn-Thrower
Cox-Dietz
Stipancik

Stanford
Morrison (out with Mono)
Oswald

And yes it was a great game.

But, to the OP....RNH was pretty bad last night. Sure, he had a goal and an assist, but he really wasn't that dangerous. He had atleast 2-3 bad bad turnovers. 1 (at his own blueline) which resulted in a goal by Chris Collins of the Blades. Saskatoon also had 6 PP chances, and RNH doesn't kill penalties so his ice time was drastically reduced. And when he was on the ice, Saskatoon made him work hard defensively, mainly against their two big strong forward lines.

He definitely didn't show last night that he should have been on the WJ team ahead of Couturier.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Wow, you would give a top 10 pick for the 5th overall from 2 yrs ago? It would take more than that Im afraid (let alone the high-mid part???).

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
Brayden Schenn (SAS) - No word to describe him. Most dominant player on the ice last night. Plays extremely hard on the puck. When he has it, good luck getting it away from him. He came into the game scoreless at home, however, when faced with a challenge of a top team he came through with 2 goals and an assist. Easily could have been more. LA has a gem, and its understandable why every team should be inquiring about him! Personally I would give a high-mid prospect, and a top 10 pick for him right now.

That is what he is currently worth, if not more. Kid is on a tear this year.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Blades lines:

Hamilton-Schenn-Trask
Collins-Viedensky-Nicholls
Dziurzynski-Benson-Stransky
Sutter/A.Elliott-Olsen-Bews

Siemens-Elliott
Zahn-Thrower
Cox-Dietz
Stipancik

Stanford
Morrison (out with Mono)
Oswald

And yes it was a great game.

But, to the OP....RNH was pretty bad last night. Sure, he had a goal and an assist, but he really wasn't that dangerous. He had atleast 2-3 bad bad turnovers. 1 (at his own blueline) which resulted in a goal by Chris Collins of the Blades. Saskatoon also had 6 PP chances, and RNH doesn't kill penalties so his ice time was drastically reduced. And when he was on the ice, Saskatoon made him work hard defensively, mainly against their two big strong forward lines.

He definitely didn't show last night that he should have been on the WJ team ahead of Couturier.

It's ok, he made up for it tonight with another 4 points. No big deal. :)

outofrange

Feb 6, 2007
For the fans that get to watch Schenner on a regular basis....does he look like he's ready for a top six spot next year?

Handzus is probably (hopefully) going to walk and it would be nice to go into the season with Kopi-Schenner-Stolly down the middle.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Anyone have a guess as to how Teigan Zahn's future might go? I knoe he fought, and won two scraps last night, but based on his play does he have a shot as a tough, stay at home bottom pairing guy in the NHL one day?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Anyone have a guess as to how Teigan Zahn's future might go? I knoe he fought, and won two scraps last night, but based on his play does he have a shot as a tough, stay at home bottom pairing guy in the NHL one day?

Maybe one day, but I wouldn't expect it.

He's got all the makings of being a solid defensive defenseman. He's tough, blocks shots and is great at using his stick.

I just don't think his foot speed will ever be good enough for the new NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad