FC's Christmas Top 60 Rankings.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Just in time for 'the most wonderful time of the year', the World Junior Championships!

Future Considerations Magazine said:
Drummondville Voltigeurs forward Sean Couturier got an early Christmas present in being the lone 2011 NHL Entry Draft eligible player to be named to Canada’s roster for the World Junior Championship.

And there’s no shock the Bathurst, NB native retains his ranking a top Future Considerations’ ranking for the 2011 draft.

Couturier, who has 16 goals and 52 points in 32 games, will have some elite company in Buffalo.

Three of the top four prospects ranked by Future Considerations will be participating in Buffalo, with only Ryan Nugent-Hopkins watching the tournament from Red Deer.

Nugent-Hopkins was among the last cuts from Canada and was expected to get the call had Tampa Bay Lightning prospect Brett Connolly been unable to participate after suffering an injury in exhibition.

Adam Larsson and Gabriel Landeskog will play large roles with Sweden. For Larsson, it is his second go-around at the event after helping his native country to a bronze performance in Saskatoon.

Saginaw’s Brandon Saad, ranked fifth, was among the last cuts from the American squad, who are the favourites to duplicate their gold medal performance from a year ago.

Rank / Pos. / Name / Team / League / Ht / Wt /
1). C/LW Sean Couturier, Drummondville, QMJHL, 6’-4â€, 195 Lbs
2). D Adam Larsson, Skelleftea, SEL, 6’-3â€, 205 Lbs
3). C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Red Deer, WHL, 6’-0.5â€, 170 Lbs
4). RW Gabriel Landeskog, Kitchener, OHL, 6’-1â€, 205 Lbs
5). RW Brandon Saad, Saginaw, OHL, 6’-1.5â€, 210 Lbs
6). D Dougie Hamilton, Niagara, OHL, 6’-4.5â€, 195 Lbs
7). D Ryan Murphy, Kitchener, OHL, 5’-10.5â€, 175 Lbs
8). D Duncan Siemens, Saskatoon, WHL, 6’-3â€, 200 Lbs
9). D Scott Mayfield, Youngstown, USHL, 6’-3.5â€, 200 Lbs
10). RW Joel Armia, Assat, SM-Liiga, 6’-3â€, 195 Lbs

Rest of the FC top 60 Rankings.

Leave your comments, questions and thoughts for open discussion.

Also, while on the FC blog click on the "2011 NHL Entry Draft" link in Catagories on the left side of the page for some other fresh '11 NHL draft and WJC content.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
seems like they think more highly than some others do of the 2nd tier defensemen. 8 of their top 15 are dmen where it generally seems like most are projecting only 3 or 4

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Doubt Michael St. Croix drops to 44. He is a first round talent just a little undersized. Probably would go anywhere between 25-35

BobbyRyan9

Let's Go Bruins!
May 26, 2008
Surprised to see Nathan Beaulieu as high as he his. He's a very complete and solid defensemen for his age, but I don't see anything that warrants him being picked this high in the draft. When you draft a defensemen as high as 13th overall, you have certain expectations, such as eventually becoming atleast a top four defensemen. I think it is a bit of a stretch that Beaulieu develops into this type of defensemen in the NHL.

On the other side, I'm surprised at how low Xavier Ouellet is at 50th. He might be tad behind the skill level of Beaulieu right now, but I think Ouellet has the potential to be a much better defensemen. Realistically, I think Ouellet should go in either the late first round or early second.

The Hulk

Dec 22, 2010
Surprised to see Nathan Beaulieu as high as he his. He's a very complete and solid defensemen for his age, but I don't see anything that warrants him being picked this high in the draft. When you draft a defensemen as high as 13th overall, you have certain expectations, such as eventually becoming atleast a top four defensemen. I think it is a bit of a stretch that Beaulieu develops into this type of defensemen in the NHL.

On the other side, I'm surprised at how low Xavier Ouellet is at 50th. He might be tad behind the skill level of Beaulieu right now, but I think Ouellet has the potential to be a much better defensemen. Realistically, I think Ouellet should go in either the late first round or early second.

I don't know if you watch the same Beaulieu as i do but i definitely see him becoming a top 4 d man. 13 might be a stretch but i'd say 15 to 20 is quite reasonable

Mountainside

Oct 25, 2009
I don't see it in Beaulieu.. never really have.. I find him to be quite overrated. He's definitely got good skill but in my viewings what I question is the brains.

I wouldn't use a first on him, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him slip deep into the second.

To be honest I prefer his teammate Kevin Gagne.. will never have the draft/pro pedigree of Beaulieu, but a really slick skater, just too small to cut it in the pros.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Shocked and I mean shocked to see Mayfield top 10 and Clendening top 15. Mayfields a first round talent IMO but I can't see Clendening going above the second round at this point.

BobbyRyan9

Let's Go Bruins!
May 26, 2008
I don't know if you watch the same Beaulieu as i do but i definitely see him becoming a top 4 d man. 13 might be a stretch but i'd say 15 to 20 is quite reasonable

He may end up filling that role, but I don't think it's as likely as someone like Xavier Ouellet. I have Beaulieu pegged more as a third pairing defensemen, but he could end up surpassing this. I just think NHL teams are hoping for a really high end defensemen at the thirteenth pick: look at Fowler, Myers and Gormley recently. I don't see Beaulieu being a high end defensemen in the NHL, but I think he has an honest shot at becoming a solid defensemen.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Surprised to see Nathan Beaulieu as high as he is. He's a very complete and solid defensemen for his age, but I don't see anything that warrants him being picked this high in the draft. When you draft a defensemen as high as 13th overall, you have certain expectations, such as eventually becoming atleast a top four defensemen. I think it is a bit of a stretch that Beaulieu develops into this type of defensemen in the NHL.

This is exactly the type of defender we see Beaulieu at the next level. A top four two-way defender with some physical grit to his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->