FC Releases October Ranking for 2014 NHL Draft

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
We're back in the full swing of things and have released our October ranking for the 2014 NHL Draft. It's the first ranking we've released since our Preliminary came out just after the 2013 NHL Draft in July.

As expected (and will likely be the case all season), there's some jockeying for position going on. If memory serves me right, there are four or five new players in the top-30 that didn't make the cut back in July. A summer of development, an Ivan Hlinka appearance (for some), and a month of hockey action will do that.

Here's the list.

Rank / Pos. / Name / Team / League / Ht / Wt /

1). C Sam Reinhart, Kootenay (WHL), 6-1, 185
2). D Aaron Ekblad, Barrie (OHL), 6-4, 215
3). C William Nylander, Rogle (Allsvenskan), 5-11, 170
4). C Leon Draisaitl, Prince Albert (WHL), 6-2, 210
5). LW Sam Bennett, Kingston (OHL), 6-0, 180
6). C Michael Dal Colle, Oshawa (OHL), 6-2, 180
7). LW Nick Ritchie, Peterborough (OHL), 6-2, 230
8). RW Anton Karlsson, Frolunda J20 (SuperElit), 6-1, 190
9). C Jake Virtanen, Calgary (WHL), 6-1, 210
10). D Haydn Fleury, Red Deer (WHL), 6-3, 200

For the Full Top-30, CLICK HERE.
For the Full Top-100, CLICK HERE.

NOTE: The Top-100 comes as part of our new 2014 NHL Draft Newsletter. It's a monthly release we've come out with that replaces both our 'Intro' and 'Midterm' Guides. Be sure to check it out!

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks for posting this, I think the top 4 is all set in stone, how things go for the rest of the draft is up in the air. I also think Ekblad will go #1 in 2014.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Any player comparisons for the top 10? Don't know much about their playing style. And Reinhart has been kind of trumped by the attention given to McDavid for the following year.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
I'm personally not big on comparisons, and a large part of that comes from the fact that I don't personally get to see anyone outside of the WHL.

For more fun from our rankings, we've run the following numbers by country, position and league. Canada, the OHL and centers lead each category.

To view the distribution, check out the link below:

http://futureconsiderations.ca/octobers-ranking-by-the-number/

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Any player comparisons for the top 10? Don't know much about their playing style. And Reinhart has been kind of trumped by the attention given to McDavid for the following year.

My personal comparisons for the ones I've seen quite a bit of are:

Sam Reinhart- Patrice Bergeron
Aaron Ekblad- Alex Pietrangelo
Leon Draisaitl- Anze Kopitar
Sam Bennett- Bobby Ryan
Nick Ritchie- Jarome Iginla
Jake Virtanen- Thomas Vanek

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88

Sam Bennett- Bobby Ryan

Wouldn't really put out a Bergeron comparison for Reinhart. A lot more offensively oriented. Bergeron is an elite defensive forward and I don't think Sam has the same calibre of defensive ability. Max Reinhart is more of a Bergeron IMO.

The Kopitar comparison for Draisaitl is good. Also reminds me a lot of Joe Thornton in his ability to protect the puck and dish it out from the corner.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Wouldn't really put out a Bergeron comparison for Reinhart. A lot more offensively oriented. Bergeron is an elite defensive forward and I don't think Sam has the same calibre of defensive ability. Max Reinhart is more of a Bergeron IMO.

The Kopitar comparison for Draisaitl is good. Also reminds me a lot of Joe Thornton in his ability to protect the puck and dish it out from the corner.

Reinhart thinks the game offensively the same was as Bergeron I think. I know defense is a huge part of Bergeron's game, but he is a really slick playmaker as well and Reinhart plays offensively like Bergeron to me. At least that's the best comparison I've been able to think of.

I agree, Kopitar and Thornton are similar players. I chose Kopi over Jumbo because Kopitar is faster and Thornton is more physical, and Draisaitl leans more towards speed than physicality

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Thanks for posting this, I think the top 4 is all set in stone, how things go for the rest of the draft is up in the air. I also think Ekblad will go #1 in 2014.

Not that it's the same situation, 13 was more top heavy but if Jones drops to 4th it's pretty hard to see Ekbald go 1st IMO, unless Philly gets the pick.

He just doesn't have that superstar feel to him, like some of the others do.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Sam Bennett- Bobby Ryan

I don't think Bennett and Ryan are good comparisons. I'm not suggesting he's as good, but strictly stylistically speaking, Bennett's game is closer to Datsyuk's than Ryan's. Fantastic puckhandler, more of a playmaker than a shooter, and very dangerous backchecker with a savvy defensive game.

At this point, obviously Datsyuk's superior in all of those categories, but just talking about the style of game they play, he's a better comparison than Ryan, IMO.

Another former NHLer that immediately sprung to mind when I first saw Bennett was his current GM and another former #93, Doug Gilmour. Same tenacious two-way game, with a dirty/feisty side tossed in.

-----

Also, if I can make a request, can Bennett's position be switched to center? He played center all of his rookie season last year, and he's once again center this season.

SBrisScout

May 9, 2010
Washington State
I think when it's all said and done, either Jake Virtanen or Nick Ritchie will go top-five in this draft. My favorite is Virtanen, big big guy that has even more weight to put on, and he's fast and skilled too. Too tantalizing a pick to pass up IMO if I'm drafting around the 5-7 slots.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Sam Bennett- Bobby Ryan

Ekblad's offensive upside has been the big question mark. No such question mark with Pietrangalo.

I'd be thinking more along the line of Mark Staal with a bit more offensive upside.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Reinhart thinks the game offensively the same was as Bergeron I think. I know defense is a huge part of Bergeron's game, but he is a really slick playmaker as well and Reinhart plays offensively like Bergeron to me. At least that's the best comparison I've been able to think of.

I agree, Kopitar and Thornton are similar players. I chose Kopi over Jumbo because Kopitar is faster and Thornton is more physical, and Draisaitl leans more towards speed than physicality

Fair enough. I just don't think of Two-way forward when I hear Sam Reinhart.

I would say a guy like Haydn Fleury compare similarly to a Pietrangelo or Ekman-Larsson. Big guy that can defend, but really great skater that outlets the puck exceptionally well. Not afraid to take it himself. Between Fleury and Virtanen there is definitely going to be constant discussion on rankings.

To throw another comparison out there, I kind of relate Conner Bleackley of Red Deer to Bo Horvat. Not as natural and smart as Bo, but his two-way game with skill is fun to watch. Battler on the boards that will do what it takes to win. I think he will rise if he continues to produce at this rate.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Ekblad's offensive upside has been the big question mark. No such question mark with Pietrangalo.

I'd be thinking more along the line of Mark Staal with a bit more offensive upside.

I don't know why anyone would question his upside, he is a great passer, has very good offensive instincts and has a good shot. The only drawback I see with him compared to other top D in previous drafts is that he isn't explosive in any way (like Jones or Doughty or Bogosian), and instead plays a subdued style sort of like Pietrangelo.

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
How similar is Draisatl to Barkov. I don't mean potential-vice but as in player. Sasha was also compared to Kopitar and Jumbo Joe frequantly. It would be awesome if Germany would get it's first hockey superstar from Draisatl. It could happen, right?

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site

Sam Bennett- Bobby Ryan

Bennett to me is very similar to Mike Richards when he was in Kitchener, but I see a little more high end skill and decision making.

Went to about 25 Frontenacs games last year, and have been to each home game this year.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007

Doubtful that Nylander and especially the German will be top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->