Favourites for WJC 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada_87

Dec 28, 2004
With the 2006 tournament finished, who are the early favorites for next year in Sweden? Russia doesn't look as strong as this year, but Canada and the U.S look to have a bunch of returning players. Discuss rosters, players to watch for, etc..

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Canada_87 said:
With the 2006 tournament finished, who are the early favorites for next year in Sweden? Russia doesn't look as strong as this year, but Canada and the U.S look to have a bunch of returning players. Discuss rosters, players to watch for, etc..

I think they said Canada could have something like 11 returning players. With the win this year, I'd think you'd have to consider them next years favorites.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I would think the U.S. would be a contender, as we'll also have 11 returning players (potentially):

Frazee
Chorney
Jack Johnson
Erik Johnson
Lee
Mitera
Kessel
Ryan
Gerbe
Skille
Mueller

That would leave room for one more goaltender, two or three defensemen, and seven or eight forwards. Kind of tough to fill in the blanks at this point.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
U18 WC 2005 - players born 87:

1. USA
2. Canada
3. Sweden
4. Chechz
5. Russia
6. Slovakia
7. Finland

U18 WC is always a good indicator, although Canada of course didnt have their best team. As i remember it the chechz looked really good.. but lost to Sweden in the bronze a bit surprisingly(well not to me :)).

Last edited:

time

Feb 26, 2005
An Ape called Yoko said:
U18 WC 2005 - players born 87:

1. USA
2. Canada
3. Sweden
4. Chechz
5. Russia
6. Slovakia
7. Finland

U18 WC is always a good indicator, although Canada of course didnt have their best team. As i remember it the chechz looked really good.. but lost to Sweden in the bronze a bit surprisingly(well not to me :)).

That tournament is really skewed towards the Yanks and their Ann Arbor program. Tough for all-star teams to compete against a club team.

Anytime Canada makes the gold medal game, you know they have a very talented year (e.g. Canada got silver last year without: Pouliot, Crosby, Brule, Staal and others).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
I would think the U.S. would be a contender, as we'll also have 11 returning players (potentially):

Frazee
Chorney
Jack Johnson
Erik Johnson
Lee
Mitera
Kessel
Ryan
Gerbe
Skille
Mueller

That would leave room for one more goaltender, two or three defensemen, and seven or eight forwards. Kind of tough to fill in the blanks at this point.

I would count on both Johnson's and Kessel being out of the picture

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
Finland will take bronze and final will be between Canada and Russia. That´s all folks :D.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Canada will stomp a mud hole in everyones as*

cause Stone Cold said so

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Canada_87 said:

Canada will be the favourite, no one else! End of story! :yo:

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
golleafsgo_17 said:
Also count out Ryan,with the year he is having he will probably be in the NHL next year

Well, he didn't look good at the WJC's so he better pick it up. His skating was not very good. I don't think the big ice would help him next year at the WJC's.

Misos Milakos*

I think next years Canada team could very well be better than this past years team with many returnining players. Then guys like Jordan Staal, Little, Sheppard, Esposito, etc, could all add nicely to the offence.

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
Misos Milakos said:
I think next years Canada team could very well be better than this past years team with many returnining players. Then guys like Jordan Staal, Little, Sheppard, Esposito, etc, could all add nicely to the offence.

I think the offence will definitely be better next year. The 6 forwards who won't be back next year are:

Chipchura
Boyd
Pouliot
Blunden
Bolland
Comeau

They'll likely be replaced by guys like:

Setoguchi
Brassard
Staal
Little
Esposito

all of whom have awesome offensive upside. As for the defence, 5 of the 7 can come back, but both Staal and Bourdon can be in the NHL. If they make it, are there any good D-men coming up to replace them?

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
well with Canada having up to 12 players back, the media will undoubtable build Canada as the hands on favorite, and rightfully so.

Best line I've ever heard from Blair McKassey - Hockey Canada scout. "Canada doesn't rebuild, we reload"

Canada will be the favorite to win gold from ever tourney now until the end of time. (lucky the media played us as underdogs this year - helped them)

Macman

May 15, 2004
RUSqueelin said:
well with Canada having up to 12 players back, the media will undoubtable build Canada as the hands on favorite, and rightfully so.

Yeah, but what are the chances that Staal, Bourdon and Barker will be back? Pretty slim, I think, turning a rock-solid defence into a big question.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Macman said:
Yeah, but what are the chances that Staal, Bourdon and Barker will be back? Pretty slim, I think, turning a rock-solid defence into a big question.

Barker won't be back because he's over age. Perhaps one of Staal and Bourdon will be back (most likely Bourdon) but it doesn't really matter. Canada will "reload" there is more talent in the pipeline. (example, I bet you last year at this time, when Canada assemble the best team ever, you had never even heard of Marc Staal, Bourdon etc) Not to worry my good friend. Canada breads hockey players.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
RUSqueelin said:
Barker won't be back because he's over age. Perhaps one of Staal and Bourdon will be back (most likely Bourdon) but it doesn't really matter. Canada will "reload" there is more talent in the pipeline. (example, I bet you last year at this time, when Canada assemble the best team ever, you had never even heard of Marc Staal, Bourdon etc) Not to worry my good friend. Canada breads hockey players.

If they lose both Barker and Staal that means that Pot Luck will have to play top 4 minutes. Woe be to the team that has to experiance that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad